The Evolution of Science Fiction discussion

The Sound Of Silence
This topic is about The Sound Of Silence
Short Stories > The Sound of Silence by Barbara Constant - April2019

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 3969 comments Mod
The Sound Of Silence by Barbara Constant is our April 2019 read. It's fairly short & was first published in "Analog Science Fact & Fiction" June 1962. It is available for free on Gutenberg.org in multiple formats including reading it online here:
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/30283

You can also listen to it online or download it from Librivox.org. It's part of their Short Science Fiction Collection 032.
https://librivox.org/short-science-fi...

message 2: by Jim (new)

Has anyone else read this? I did & thought it was an interesting take on (view spoiler).

message 3: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 1826 comments Mod
Thanks for the reminder! Busy month of reading for me!

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Oh, yes, thank you for the reminder. I enjoyed that very much. And thank goodness for (view spoiler) She seems like a very nice young woman. Do you think that she will eventually marry Paul?

The story is mostly about the idea, the 'what if' isn't even fully developed much less the characters. But I still get a sense that Constant can write; I'd like to read more by her.

message 5: by Jim (new)

I liked the ending, too. I especially liked the buildup, though. It was very well done in an understated sort of way, then the answer kind of slaps me in the face. That's what I really like in a short story.

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Yeah, I kinda spoiled that for myself though by figuring out the answer right away.

message 7: by Jim (new)

I wondered about it, but there were other explanations I toyed with so it was still a good reveal.

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) What other explanations?

message 9: by Jim (new)

I knew she was hiding something, so I was wondering what. Maybe she was an alien or from the future with a second life or something.

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Ah... hmm...
Yeah, I could tell she didn't really know exactly what she was hiding, and was more fearful of & within herself than of being found out by others. Maybe it's a female thing.

message 11: by Buck (new) - rated it 3 stars

Buck (spectru) | 895 comments I heard the Librivox version this morning. My initial reaction was not that she was (view spoiler)

Cheryl wrote: "Oh, yes, thank you for the reminder. I enjoyed that very much. And thank goodness for [spoilers removed] She seems like a very nice young woman. Do you think that she will eventually marry Paul?

Paul very much disliked stories about people like Lucky, so I doubt that he would ever have adjusted. She would have had to keep it secret from him. And, (view spoiler)

Kateblue | 56 comments A well written short story. Although I figured it out early on, (view spoiler) I still found it enjoyable, if a bit dated in its attitudes toward psychiatry.

message 13: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 1826 comments Mod
Finally got around to it, and I like it. Did Barbara Constant ever write any other story? She doesn't even have an entry in the "Encyclopedia of Science Fiction".

message 14: by Jim (new)

As far as I can tell, she only wrote one other story "Ugly Duckling" (which I can't find) according to the ISFDB.
http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?1...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Sound Of Silence (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Barbara Constant (other topics)