Reading 1001 discussion

Ormond
This topic is about Ormond
1001 book reviews > Ormond by Maria Edgeworth

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diane | 1924 comments Rating: 3 stars

A rags to riches tale about an orphaned young man in late 18th century Ireland.

Overall, not the most engaging book, but certainly not unpleasant. The main character was a likable guy and I liked the references to other novels. I visited an Ormond Castle while I was in Ireland, and pictured this setting when reading the book. I think it is located in a different part of Ireland, though.

Kristel (kristelh) | 3832 comments Mod
This book is the story of a young orphan boy, Ormond and is the story of his coming of age. Written in 1817 by female author Maria Edgeworth this book has a bit of flavor of Austen only with a male hero instead of females and lots of comedy of manners, a bit of moralizing, and a romance. It was an easy read.

Set in Ireland, The Black Islands, England, Paris. The time period is set in the 1700's during Louis the Fifteenth and Madame du Barry, just before the reign of terror. Here we see the court behaviors and distaste for the common people. We also see the rent between Protestant and Catholic in Ireland with the debate of whether a Catholic boy can sit on the same school bench with a Protestant student. Rating 3.67