1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up discussion

Archive > Bring this group back?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 13 comments I see this group hasn't been posted in for a little over a year. That's too bad! Are there still interested people here? Maybe the group will become active again?

Would it be possible for a mod to make a discussion folder where people can make threads to track their reading? E.g. I'd like to make a thread where I post the books from the list that I read and keep track of my progress.

I'm casually working on this list as well as the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. This one seems a little more achievable!

message 2: by Manybooks, Active moderator (new)

Manybooks | 224 comments Mod
Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "I see this group hasn't been posted in for a little over a year. That's too bad! Are there still interested people here? Maybe the group will become active again?

Would it be possible for a mod to..."

I am still interested but only if others also are.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen Hoehne | 166 comments Mod
I'm interested. I would love to see the following threads -- what book did you just start, what book did you just finish, and milestones (how many read). I am also a member of the Boxall 1001 Books and these 3 threads are our most active. Maybe something similar will reinvigorate this group.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 13 comments Karen wrote: "I'm interested. I would love to see the following threads -- what book did you just start, what book did you just finish, and milestones (how many read). I am also a member of the Boxall 1001 Books..."

I agree! I'm in that group as well. I'd also participate in those threads.

message 5: by Gem (new)

Gem  Paullin | 11 comments I'm interested and will lend a hand as well.

message 6: by Aileen (new)

Aileen | 22 comments Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "Karen wrote: "I'm interested. I would love to see the following threads -- what book did you just start, what book did you just finish, and milestones (how many read). I am also a member of the Box..."

I am with you both and am happy to see the active threads again!

message 7: by Karen (new)

⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "I'm interested and will lend a hand as well."

Fantastic! We're trying to keep it simple to start with.

message 8: by Karen (new)

Aileen wrote: "Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "Karen wrote: "I'm interested. I would love to see the following threads -- what book did you just start, what book did you just finish, and milestones (how many r..."

Super!

message 9: by Sarah Beth (new)

Sarah Beth (sarah_beth) | 9 comments I was active when the group had monthly reads. They helped motivate me to get to some of the lesser known books.

message 10: by Manybooks, Active moderator (new)

I wonder if we could just create a thread for books we are reading and then people can join in with no pressure.

message 11: by Karen (new)

Manybooks wrote: "I wonder if we could just create a thread for books we are reading and then people can join in with no pressure."

Using the "Which list book did you just start?" would work.

message 12: by Gem (new)

Gem  Paullin | 11 comments Manybooks wrote: "I wonder if we could just create a thread for books we are reading and then people can join in with no pressure."

We could, however, I find having a or several monthly group reads keeps me accountable. I much prefer to see that continue to be part of how the group works. Just my 2 cents.

message 13: by Manybooks, Active moderator (new)

⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "Manybooks wrote: "I wonder if we could just create a thread for books we are reading and then people can join in with no pressure."

We could, however, I find having a or several monthly group read..."

I would not mind either.

message 14: by Karen (new)

Manybooks wrote: "⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "Manybooks wrote: "I wonder if we could just create a thread for books we are reading and then people can join in with no pressure."

We could, however, I find having a or several mo..."

⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "Manybooks wrote: "I wonder if we could just create a thread for books we are reading and then people can join in with no pressure."

We could, however, I find having a or several monthly group read..."

Check out the postings under "Suggestions Wanted: Group Reads." I don't know what happened with the poll and voting as I see no updates after the poll closed.

Since we are so few at the moment, I suggest we pick books using a random number generator and alternating between picture books and chapter books. I started a list of the books that had already been read last year not realizing that the bookshelf contained it already. But I will finish it and post it so it's easier to read.

message 15: by Cataluna6 (new)

Cataluna6 | 128 comments I’d be happy to continue reading, either as a set monthly read or with titles added to the reading list. I might not be able to read along every month, it depends on what reading I have for uni.

message 16: by Karen (last edited Jun 29, 2019 03:02PM) (new)

How about this for the monthly read --

(1) We go on a six month rotation starting in July. Selections could be made by a random number generator. Or three selections could be made for each category and we could vote. I know the Boxall 1001 Books group uses a voting process but I do not know how to set that up.

(2) Rotation would look like this:
July -- Age 8+ selection
August -- Age 0-3 selection
September -- Age 5+ selection
October -- Age 3+ selection
November -- Age 12+ selection
December -- No selection (new selections and/or free reading)
And repeat . . .

(3) This balances the short picture books between the longer selections and provides extra reading time for the longer books.

(4) Discussion threads would be posted for all 5 selections at the beginning of the rotation or even earlier. This would provide time for locating copies. Also, would provide time for people to post where they found copies on the Internet.

I'll volunteer to do the random selection unless someone else desires to do that.

message 17: by Manybooks, Active moderator (new)

Karen wrote: "How about this for the monthly read --

(1) We go on a six month rotation starting in July. Selections could be made by a random number generator. Or three selections could be made for each catego..."

That looks good and a nice mixture.

message 18: by Cataluna6 (new)

Cataluna6 | 128 comments Karen wrote: "How about this for the monthly read --

I'm happy with with this, gives us a chance to work through all the age groups.

message 19: by Karen (new)

OK -- here's the Monthly Reads for July -- December 2019

July (age 8+) -- The Last Giants, by Francois Place
(Available from InterLibrary Loan -- check your local library)

August (age 0-3) -- Mr. Gumpy's Outing, by John Burningham
(Available from InterLibrary Loan -- check your local library)

September (age 5+) -- The Bears on Hemlock Mountain, by Alice Dalgliesh
(Available from InterLibrary Loan -- check your local library, and Open Library)

October (age 3+) -- Crocodile Beat, by Gail Jorgensen
(Available from InterLibrary Loan -- check your local library, and Open Library)

November (age 12+) -- Seven Little Australians, by Ethel Turner
(Available from InterLibrary Loan -- check your local library, Open Library, and free on Kindle)

December -- No selection -- catch up, read one of the monthly reads you missed, or enjoy free reading!

message 20: by Stephanie, Active moderator (new)

Stephanie (teff1979) | 173 comments Mod
Hey all I am back sorry I have been missing for a while! I would love to get this group up and running again!

message 21: by Karen (new)

Stephanie wrote: "Hey all I am back sorry I have been missing for a while! I would love to get this group up and running again!"

We are back, Stephanie. Check out our monthly reads.

message 22: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (tiggerrd) | 2 comments I am grateful for this group - the monthly reads are helpful and I am so happy you have some links to make the books easier to find. It’s been a challenge and you’ve lessened the barriers. Many thanks!

1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You...

unread topics | mark unread