The Procrastinators Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Bookish BINGO

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile], Games/Challenges Procrastinator (last edited Mar 31, 2019 04:35PM) (new)

laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (laurelthereader) | 1979 comments Mod
Welcome to Bookish BINGO!

description
Not just for your grandparents, this is all about the books and catching up on your ever-growing TBR (just me?)

It's also a tie in to stay motivated with our annual Tackle That TBR Vol 2 Challenge

The Rules

1. To get a BINGO you must read five squares in a row (note that handy ANY BOOK square). This can be up, sideways, diagonal, doesn't matter but they need to touch and be in a row—and they don't need to be read in B-I-N-G-O order
description
2. Post your updates (what book, what square, what letter) on a main comment and also separate comments throughout. Let me know which is your original post so I can keep track of your progress

3. What counts?
a. books over 150 pages
b. ebooks over 40,000 words
c. audiobooks over 1.5 hours
d. graphic novels/comics over 150 pages

4. When you get a BINGO, let me know! Shout BINGO!

The ~Prizes~
My undying admiration and respect for your ever-lasting awesomeness! (view spoiler)

This challenge runs from April 1st to June 30th, 2019

message 2: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile], Games/Challenges Procrastinator (last edited Jul 01, 2019 03:53AM) (new)

Participants

Ane
Patricia
laurel [suspected bibliophile] BINGOx2!! (3rd row, B3, I3, N3, G3, O3) (1st column, B1-5)
Mel (Epic Reading)
lyss
Madeline BINGO!! (3rd row, B3, I3, N3, G3, O3)
Daria New to you series (B), LGBTQ+ author or character (I), Any book (N), Mystery (G)
Bopeep Under 100 Review (I)
Jess
Christine
Bailey BINGO!! (diagonal, B1, I2, N3, G4, O5)
Camden
Lauren Genre (O1), Any Book (N3)
Bri
Stina BINGOx3!! (diagonal B1, I2, N3, G4, O5)
Dylan
Steph

message 3: by Ane (new)

Ane | 26 comments I’d like to try this one. Looks like fun.

message 4: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (thebigbooknerd) | 12 comments Sounds like fun, I’m in

message 5: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile], Games/Challenges Procrastinator (last edited Jun 28, 2019 02:40PM) (new)

I'm in too, obviously!

Going for the first column!

New to Me Series Ninefox Gambit
Under 100 Reviews Pie in the Sky
Middle Grade Patina
Set in Space A Memory Called Empire
Mythology/Folklore Retelling Gods of Jade and Shadow

5/5, B I N G O
Ninefox Gambit (The Machineries of Empire, #1) by Yoon Ha Lee Pie in the Sky by Remy Lai Patina (Track, #2) by Jason Reynolds A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan, #1) by Arkady Martine Gods of Jade and Shadow by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

Third row!

Middle Grade Invisible Emmie
Ugly Cover Street Magic
Any Book The Luminous Dead
Historical Romance The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
POC Author Stronger Than a Bronze Dragon

5/5 B I N G O
Invisible Emmie by Terri Libenson Street Magic (The Circle Opens, #2) by Tamora Pierce The Luminous Dead by Caitlin Starling The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid Stronger Than a Bronze Dragon by Mary Fan

Mel (Epic Reading) (mel-epicreading) I’ve never done a more complex challenge than yearly A to Z. But this one seems simple enough. So I’m in. 😊

message 7: by lyss (new)

lyss (poisnivys) ooh i'm down. already thinking up a tbr.

message 8: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Cathryn (madelinecathryn) You know what imma give this a shot. That is if I don't forget about it

message 9: by Daria (new)

Daria | 44 comments I'd really like to try too!!!

message 10: by Bopeep (last edited Jun 26, 2019 02:43PM) (new)

Bopeep Hallyn (bopip) | 860 comments I'll try to make the first column.

New to you series: Nevernight
Under 100 GR ratings: #NotAllDemons
Middle grade: Aru Shah and the End of Time
Set in space: Skyward
Mythology retelling: Circe

message 11: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 33 comments I'm in

message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine Wilson (clwglamou4u) | 8 comments I’m going to try this one.

message 13: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile], Games/Challenges Procrastinator (new)

Updated!

Good luck and happy reading!

And more people are welcome to join—the more the merrier :)

message 14: by Bee (last edited May 27, 2019 08:43PM) (new)

Bee (beeisreading) I think I'll give this a shot! I'm going to try for the diagonal.

New to you series: River of Teeth (Finished 5/27/19)
LGBTQ+ author or character: Birthday (Finished 4/18/19)
Any book: The Time Collector (Finished 4/4/19)
Mystery: Some Choose Darkness (Finished 5/15/19)
Self-published/Indie press: Sooner or Later Everything Falls Into the Sea (Finished 5/26/19)

So that's a BINGO!

message 15: by Camden (new)

Camden Johnson (blurrysleeps) | 59 comments This looks fun! Sign me up :)

message 16: by Lauren (last edited Apr 15, 2019 09:52AM) (new)

Lauren | 12 comments Not sure which bingo I'll go for but sign me up :)

Update:

Genre Fiction Classic: Kindred
Read for School:
Any book: The Calculating Stars
Mental Illness/Disability
Mythology/Folklore Retelling

message 17: by Bri (new)

Bri | 1 comments Ooh, gonna write this down and try to get most of the board!

message 18: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile], Games/Challenges Procrastinator (new)

Updated!

Good luck :)

message 19: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalyn) | 13 comments I'm in! Question, though: If I'm going for more than one bingo, do I need to start over completely, or can I build on the first bingo? In other words, can I get a blackout bingo with 25 books? Or do I need to read 60 for that?

message 20: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile], Games/Challenges Procrastinator (new)

Stina wrote: "I'm in! Question, though: If I'm going for more than one bingo, do I need to start over completely, or can I build on the first bingo? In other words, can I get a blackout bingo with 25 books? Or d..."

You would need to start over completely for each line, no reusing books to make a bingo.

However, if you do a blackout bingo, you'd only need to read 25 books.

So if you want to do multiple bingos and the blackout bingo, it would work with 25 books if you went all rows or all columns, but if you have a variety of rows/columns/diagonals, you'll need to read more than 25.

Does that help?

message 21: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (artemisstarlite) | 7 comments ooo i wanna join in on the fun!!

message 22: by Christine (new)

Christine Wilson (clwglamou4u) | 8 comments Question, where do I find this thread when I go to the group? Is it under games? I can follow link from my notification but can’t seem to find it directly when in the group....

message 23: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile], Games/Challenges Procrastinator (new)

Christine wrote: "Question, where do I find this thread when I go to the group? Is it under games? I can follow link from my notification but can’t seem to find it directly when in the group...."

It's under the Challenges folder :)

message 24: by Madeline (last edited Jun 02, 2019 07:14AM) (new)

Madeline Cathryn (madelinecathryn) G1 contemporary: just read Just One Day
O2 high fantasy: i read Six of Crows for the third time and i think thats high fantasy? Im not really sure what high fantasy is though
N2 one sitting read: Shout
I4 disability/mental illness: Believarexic
B1 new to you series: The Bone Season
O3 POC author: Defy Me by Tahereh Mafi
I2 LGBTQ+ author or character: The Red Scrolls of Magic
B3 Middle grade: 45 Pounds
I3 ugly cover (in my opinion): I Found You
G4 mystery: The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle
G5 set in Asia: Descendant of the Crane
G3 historical romance: would Enchantée be too much of a stretch? Bc it is set in Paris 1700s and it does have a romance in it.
Any book: The Wicked King
BINGO! I have the middle grade, ugly cover, any book, historical romance, and POC author
Under 100 gr ratings: Our Man On Earth: The Original Tale of Merlin, King Arthur's Legendary Wizard

message 25: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile], Games/Challenges Procrastinator (last edited Apr 07, 2019 08:13AM) (new)

Madeline wrote: "G1 contemporary: just read Just One Day
O2 high fantasy: i read Six of Crows for the third time and i think thats high fantasy? Im not really sure what high fantasy ..."

Technically high fantasy is anything that is set in a secondary or non-real Earth world and usually has a heroic plot or quest (sometimes but not always). Six of Crows works if you squint sideways at it a little—and for BINGO it'll definitely work :)

message 26: by Daria (new)

Daria | 44 comments Just a little question. How do you guys add links to the books you mention? And how do you edit a comment? I'm kinda confused...

message 27: by Camden (new)

Camden Johnson (blurrysleeps) | 59 comments I just finished "The Outsiders" so that goes for my space of ANY book and book for school :) would it also count as genre fiction classic?

message 28: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile], Games/Challenges Procrastinator (new)

Daria wrote: "Just a little question. How do you guys add links to the books you mention? And how do you edit a comment? I'm kinda confused..."

If you're on a computer, there should be something above the comment box that says "add book/author." Click on that and it'll generate a box where you can search for your book. On the bottom of the box you can select either to have the link (book title) or the book cover (and link) displayed.

If you're on the app...I'm not sure how to add a book. This might help depending on what kind of phone you have (the Android is missing some features from the computer-based site and the iOS app): https://www.goodreads.com/help

message 29: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile], Games/Challenges Procrastinator (new)

Camden wrote: "I just finished "The Outsiders" so that goes for my space of ANY book and book for school :) would it also count as genre fiction classic?"

Outsiders would count as genre fiction if you consider it young adult.

Just remember that once you decide your row/column/diagonal it can only count once :)

message 30: by Daria (new)

Daria | 44 comments laurel [suspected bibliophile] wrote: "Daria wrote: "Just a little question. How do you guys add links to the books you mention? And how do you edit a comment? I'm kinda confused..."

If you're on a computer, there should be something a..."

Thank you! I switched to my computer and now everything it's okay.

message 31: by Daria (last edited Apr 24, 2019 03:43AM) (new)

Daria | 44 comments I'm going for the diagonal (for now)

New to you series: Truthwitch
LGBTQ+ author or character: Every Heart a Doorway
Any book: The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life
Mystery: As Red as Blood
Self published or indie press

message 32: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile], Games/Challenges Procrastinator (new)

Daria wrote: "laurel [suspected bibliophile] wrote: "Daria wrote: "Just a little question. How do you guys add links to the books you mention? And how do you edit a comment? I'm kinda confused..."

If you're on ..."

Excellent :)

message 33: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalyn) | 13 comments laurel [suspected bibliophile] wrote: "Stina wrote: "I'm in! Question, though: If I'm going for more than one bingo, do I need to start over completely, or can I build on the first bingo? In other words, can I get a blackout bingo with ..."

Got it, thanks!

message 34: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile], Games/Challenges Procrastinator (new)

Hey all!

Just a reminder that when you're updating please make it really clear which ones you have finished so I can go through and add them to the list :)

message 35: by Daria (new)

Daria | 44 comments Hey! Does anyone know some good selfpublished or indie press books? I can't think of anything.

message 36: by Bee (new)

Bee (beeisreading) Daria wrote: "Hey! Does anyone know some good selfpublished or indie press books? I can't think of anything."
I would recommend Embassy. The book was self published but it is available on Amazon.

message 37: by Camden (new)

Camden Johnson (blurrysleeps) | 59 comments So far I have the free space, genre fiction classic, mystery, read for school, new to me series (Miss peregrine's home for peculiar children)

message 38: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile], Games/Challenges Procrastinator (new)

Hey folks!

We're a month in—two months to go!

I'll update everyone's progress this weekend.

Don't forget to keep updating your squares (and making it really clear which ones you've finished) and shouting BINGO when you get a run!

message 39: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile], Games/Challenges Procrastinator (new)

UPDATED

Please let me know if I missed anyone :)

Happy reading all!

message 40: by Steph (new)

Steph L (thetheatergeek) | 150 comments Is it too late to join this?

message 41: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile], Games/Challenges Procrastinator (new)

Steph wrote: "Is it too late to join this?"

Go for it!

message 42: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile], Games/Challenges Procrastinator (new)

One month left of Bookish Bingo!

I know Summer Days has swept a lot of us up in the fun, but see if anything you've read hits a box and let's see how many bingos we can get before the month is up!

message 43: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalyn) | 13 comments BINGO! It's on the diagonal, so I guess I'm not going for the 25-book blackout anymore. But I have already re-filled G4, so I'm just one book away from a row-4 bingo now.

B1 - New to you series - Every Heart a Doorway
I2 - LGBTQ+ author or character - Rebecca
N3 - Any Book - Tallgrass
G4 - Mystery - Burning Ridge
O5 - Self-published or indie press - The Tea Shop

message 44: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile], Games/Challenges Procrastinator (new)

CONGRATS STINA!

description

message 45: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile], Games/Challenges Procrastinator (new)

We've got 9 days left in this challenge!

Plenty of time to wrap up your reads and try to get a BINGO of your own :)

message 46: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile], Games/Challenges Procrastinator (new)

THREE

MORE

DAYS

Who can get the next BINGO?

message 47: by Bee (new)

Bee (beeisreading) I finished back in May and didn't even notice. But better late than never, BINGO!

message 48: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile], Games/Challenges Procrastinator (new)

CONGRATS BAILEY!

description

message 49: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile], Games/Challenges Procrastinator (last edited Jun 27, 2019 01:55PM) (new)

CONGRATS MADELINE!

(sorry I missed your updated post!)

description

message 50: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Cathryn (madelinecathryn) laurel [suspected bibliophile] wrote: "CONGRATS MADELINE!

(sorry I missed your updated post!)

"

:)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.