Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Info > New Summer Series starting June 1, 2019

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (last edited Apr 13, 2019 03:55PM) (new)

Kathi | 801 comments Mod
I know we just did nominations and polling for a series to start in May, but our current series read of The Belgariad will be finishing up at the end of May, so we also need to choose a series to start in June. In our discussion of The Belgariad, some people mentioned wanting to read and discuss The Mallorean by David Eddings, a sort of successor series to The Belgariad. And we had several excellent nominations in our recent round of nominations and polling that certainly can be nominated again.

Rules for nominating a series:
1. The series must be complete.
2. The series must be fantasy (I know, seems obvious).
3. The series should not be targeted mainly for middle school or a YA audience.
4. The series must not have been one the group has already read. Look through the website or the group bookshelf to see if we’ve read it before.
5. Each member may nominate one series. Please tell us the name of the series, the author, and the first book in the series. If you want to add more information, please feel free.
6. Each member may second one series in addition to making a nomination.
7. In order to move into the polling, a nomination must be seconded by someone other than the nominator.
8. Nominations will be open until April 13 (2 weeks). We will then have a poll. If the results are close, we may have a run-off poll between or among the top vote-getters.

Nominations are open! Let’s go!
Thanks,
Kathi, for the mods

Nominated and seconded:
The Crimson Empire trilogy by Alex Marshall, starting with A Crown for Cold Silver
The Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series by Tad Williams, starting with The Dragonbone Chair
The Promethean Age series by Elizabeth Bear, starting with Blood and Iron
The Inda series by Sherwood Smith, starting with Inda

Nominated but not yet seconded:
The Cloak Games series by Jonathan Moeller, starting with Thief Trap
The Eternal Sky trilogy by Elizabeth Bear, starting with Range of Ghosts

Nominated but disqualified :
The Lightbringer Series by Brent Weeks, starting with The Black Prism—not quite a completed series
The Black Company series by Glen Cook, starting with The Black Company—the group previously read this series
The Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson, starting with The Final Empire—the group previously read this series (This nomination was sent to me via a Goodreads message.)

message 2: by Fer (new)

Fer B | 22 comments Hi! I would like to nominate Brent Week's Lightbringer, starting with The Black Prism. If I'm not mistaken, the series is finished, with five books

message 3: by Fer (new)

Fer B | 22 comments Sorry!! I checked again, the last book is expected to be released this year.

message 4: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new)

Kathi | 801 comments Mod
Fer wrote: "Sorry!! I checked again, the last book is expected to be released this year."

Yes, it’s coming out near the end of October. Unfortunately, October is the month we would be reading book 5, given that we would start the series in June. So save the nomination for the next time around, OK? Thanks!

Please feel free to nominate something else.

message 5: by Freddy (new)

Freddy | 2 comments I would like to nominate Glen Cook’s The Black Company series. I haven’t read it yet but heard good things about it.

message 6: by Fer (new)

Fer B | 22 comments My new nomination is Alex Marshall's The Crimson Empire, starting with A Crown for Cold Silver. This trilogy was nominated before for the reading in May, but it sounds interesting.

message 7: by John (new)

John | 136 comments I'd like to nominate Sherwood Smith's Inda series (4 books starting with Inda). It seems like it's spent its life under the radar, but it's quite good.

And I'll second The Black Company. I've read the first few and thought they were okay, but a friend whose taste is generally pretty similar to mine absolutely loves them, so I wouldn't mind given them another chance.

message 8: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

Maggie K | 1202 comments Mod
We read Black Company in 2013.

message 9: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

I am going to nominate Elizabeth Bear's Promethean age series, starting with Blood and Iron

It's a story of the Fae, and focuses on a half-fae with the seelie court who finds new humans for the court

message 10: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 36 comments Fer wrote: "My new nomination is Alex Marshall's The Crimson Empire, starting with A Crown for Cold Silver. This trilogy was nominated before for the reading in May, but it sounds interesting."

I'll second this.

message 11: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 36 comments I'd like to nominate The Memory, Thorn and Sorrow trilogy by Tad Williams starting with The Dragonbone Chair

message 12: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

Fer wrote: "My new nomination is Alex Marshall's The Crimson Empire, starting with A Crown for Cold Silver. This trilogy was nominated before for the reading in May, but it sounds interesting."

Fer-will you add a link, please?

message 13: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

John wrote: "I'd like to nominate Sherwood Smith's Inda series (4 books starting with Inda). It seems like it's spent its life under the radar, but it's quite good.

And I'll second The Black Company. I've rea..."

John-Please add a link :)

message 14: by Fer (new)

Fer B | 22 comments Maggie wrote: Fer-will you add a link, please?"

A Crown for Cold Silver
Is this fine?

message 15: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 14 comments The Cloak Games series by Jonathan Moeller, starting with Thief Trap

message 16: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new)

Kathi | 801 comments Mod
Fer wrote: "Maggie wrote: Fer-will you add a link, please?"

A Crown for Cold Silver
Is this fine?"

Thank you.

message 17: by John (new)

John | 136 comments Sorry about that.

I'd like to nominate the series that starts with Inda by Sherwood Smith.

And while I'm at it, given that it's less well-known, I'll say a few words about it.

My first impression of it was kind of "Ender's Game in a fantasy setting," in that the protagonist is a precociously brilliant tactician who goes to his country's military academy, but it's really a lot more than that. The strength of the book and the series is the depth of the characters and their relationships. I wouldn't call it Grimdark, but Sherwood Smith isn't afraid to kill off characters, and the effect is that you're really not sure who's going to make it to the end of the book, never mind the series (although you can imagine from the title that Inda himself has a good shot). The world-building is also good, particularly as it relates to the cultures shown.

message 18: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new)

Kathi | 801 comments Mod
John wrote: "Sorry about that.

And while I'm at it, given that it's less well-known, I'll say a few wo..."

Thanks for the link and description!

message 19: by Diane (new)

Diane Hagen | 3 comments I would like to nominate the Eternal Sky Series by Elizabeth Bear. The first book in the series is Range of Ghosts.

message 20: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new)

Kathi | 801 comments Mod
Lots of interesting nominations—keep them coming! And don’t forget you can second a nomination to make it eligible for the poll.

Nominations are open for one more week!

message 21: by Diane (new)

Diane Hagen | 3 comments Hailee wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Memory, Thorn and Sorrow trilogy by Tad Williams starting with The Dragonbone Chair"

I will second this.

message 22: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new)

Kathi | 801 comments Mod
Maggie wrote: "I am going to nominate Elizabeth Bear's Promethean age series, starting with Blood and Iron

It's a story of the Fae, and focuses on a half-fae with the seelie court who finds new hum..."

I will second this.

message 23: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 141 comments Maggie wrote: "I am going to nominate Elizabeth Bear's Promethean age series, starting with Blood and Iron

It's a story of the Fae, and focuses on a half-fae with the seelie court who finds new hum..."

I'll second this

message 24: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

Fer wrote: "My new nomination is Alex Marshall's The Crimson Empire, starting with A Crown for Cold Silver. This trilogy was nominated before for the reading in May, but it sounds interesting."

I will second this one as well

message 25: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 48 comments Kathi wrote: "John wrote: "Sorry about that.

And while I'm at it, given that it's less well-known, I'll..."

I second Inda series

message 26: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new)

Kathi | 801 comments Mod
Nominations are closed.

message 27: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new)

Kathi | 801 comments Mod
Polling is open, and will remain open through April 21.
Please vote!

Poll for Summer Series starting June 2019

message 28: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new)

Kathi | 801 comments Mod
Today is the last day of voting!

message 29: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (last edited Apr 22, 2019 07:02AM) (new)

Kathi | 801 comments Mod
Thanks to everyone who mpnominated, seconded, and/or voted for our series to start in June. And the winner is the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series by Tad Williams.

The three main books are:
The Dragonbone Chair—June
Stone of Farewell—July
To Green Angel Tower—August

And book 3.5, which I was not aware even existed:
The Heart of What Was Lost—September, if we decide to read this as well.
Edited to add—this book is apparently a linking volume between the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series and a “sequel series” called The Last King of Osten Ard, which apparently has not been completed, so my recommendation is we not include The Heart of What Was Lost in our series read.

message 30: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 36 comments Because it is so long most of the physical editions I found of To Green Angel Tower have it split into two parts To Green Angel Tower: Siege and To Green Angel Tower: Storm.

To make it more manageable should we maybe read one part a month over August and September? I don't mind either way I just thought I'd make the suggestion.

message 31: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (last edited Apr 22, 2019 04:12PM) (new)

Kathi | 801 comments Mod
Updated list, following Hailee’s excellent suggestion.

The Dragonbone Chair—June
Stone of Farewell—July
To Green Angel Tower, Part 1 (Siege)—August
To Green Angel Tower, Part 2 (Storm)—September

message 32: by John (new)

John | 136 comments Even though it wasn't the series I was hoping for, I'm looking forward to the discussion here! I first read this series when I was in middle school or high school, and I started revisiting it last month because I was thinking of reading the new series and realized I didn't remember much of Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn. This will be a great opportunity for me to finish re-reading the series and have other people to chat with about it.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.