Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

Random Chatter > what books do you or have you read over because you liked them so much

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Mar 31, 2019 08:35AM) (new)

Kateblue | 3543 comments Mod
In line with Art's thread about whose new books do you pick up with confidence . . . what books do you get an itch to read over because you loved them

For me, it used to be Heinlein, but I have kind of stopped that as I have read them too many times. Though I just read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress maybe a year ago.

There are some others. Vorkosigan by Bujold. Two years ago, I reread all the Prey books by John Sandford

message 2: by Allan (new)

Allan Phillips | 1793 comments Mod
The Door into Summer & The Puppet Masters were re-reads of mine for a long time, as well as Foundation. A couple of short stories I re-read occasionally: Lovecraft's "The Colour Out of Space" and Machen's "The Great God Pan", just so exquisitely creepy. Not many novels though, I prefer to discover new territory.

message 3: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 3331 comments Mod
for me the boks I've read four times (or was it five?) are the Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski, currently re-reading for the first time in Polish original. I have plans to reread quite a few books but newer arrivals take precedence.

message 4: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Z, that is what is happening to me, now, "newer arrivals take precedence." That's why I joined GR, though. To get some newer arrivals.

message 5: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2540 comments Mod
These days I am trying not to reread much, though there are some novels that I would like to reread in order to give them a fair rating. I'm talking about books that I've read a couple of decades ago and not sure what I'd make of them now.
Besides that I will reread any novel we pick as a group. Dune was an odd one out, I could not afford rereading it and I'm glad I chose to read his other works instead, was a very rewarding experience.

message 6: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 481 comments Mod
I don't normally reread any books, but I have reread the Kingkiller Chronicles. In fact, I'm resisting the itch to reread them again!

message 7: by Cynthia (last edited Apr 01, 2019 11:34AM) (new)

Cynthia Wheaton | 169 comments I have never been a re-reader. It always seemed more important to me to get the next new input... maybe not new to the world, but new to me. Now that I am older, I occasionally enjoy re-reading a book that I held dear several decades ago. I seldom remember much of the actual story beyond the general theme and quality of the writing. I think I have thoroughly incorporated those books into my way of thinking... they have shaped me. Seen now from my more mature stage of life...well, sometimes they hold up and sometimes not, but usually I find something new, something that totally bypassed the younger me, to think about in them.
I didn't have the head space to read the Dune Challenge with you, but my other SF book group is reading just the first volume this month, so I will be joining them. I'm looking forward to it since I read it with great relish about 30 years ago.

message 8: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new)

Cynthia wrote: "I didn't have the head space to read the Dune Challenge with you, but my other SF book group is reading just the first volume this month, so I will be joining them. I'm looking forward to it since I read it with great relish about 30 years ago. "

If you want, you may join Dune discussion in the relevant threads, after all the end of the challenge doesn't mean we cannot discuss it a bit more

message 9: by Ed (last edited Apr 01, 2019 03:27PM) (new)

Ed Erwin | 626 comments I rarely re-read. But I recently went back to a favorite from my childhood. It seems very different to me today! My review.

I plan to soon re-read The Mouse and the Motorcycle.

I re-read the Lord of the Rings books around the time the movies came out. I liked them much more as a kid than now.

message 10: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 626 comments I also re-read "Alice in Wonderland" from time to time.

message 11: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Apr 01, 2019 03:53PM) (new)

I have reread The Lord of the Rings + Hobbit too many times, so much so that I skip parts where I know there is only trudging under mountains or battles. I did buy all when cheap on Kindle, but I am not sure I will read them again. I just WANTED them.

What has happened with me in the past, and why I maybe reread more than others, is--I get so frustrated when I start a book or even finish a book and I didn't have a good time. After I have a few of those in a row, I will reread a book I love, instead. What GR (and all of you) have done for me is give me good choices so I don't have so many clunkers in a row.

I haven't reread Alice for quite a while. Hmmm . . .

Never believe blurbs on book jackets is my motto. Not unless there are, like, 50 of them.

Now I am going to go read more of Ancillary Justice

message 12: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2540 comments Mod
There are few reasons why I would bother with a reread, fun is a factor of course, but having enjoyed the book does not warrant a reread.

Some of the books that I have marked as rereads because it's those books which I've read (and loved) long time ago and I know that a reread will be like visiting an old friend. It might not be a complicated read, just a book which left an impression on me at some point of my life. Also there are many 4* books which I suspect to actually be worth 5*. Since all the books from my 2016 reads are actually books I've read at some earlier date, be it 2015 or 1994, I've rated many of those books at random.

Then there is another category of books which I liked but I somehow feel like I did not get everything I could out of, an example from 2018 of such a book would be The Diamond Age: Or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer. I probably did not get as much out of it as I could. Besides the easter eggs I am sure the book is filled with, I honestly believe I missed a couple of plot twists because at the time of the reading I had a lot going on and my head wasn't always at the right place.

Then there is my favourite category of rereads, those books that earned 5 stars, books that I love and books that I love exploring. Rereading them at different points of life is as at least as rewarding as it was reading them for the first time.

The tiniest slice of the pie goes to those rereads that I see as guilty pleasures, spontaneous, unplanned reads. Something you just see on a shelf, start leafing through and end up devouring it in one go because you know you missed it and you needed it.

These days I have limited amount of pages allotted to the rereads, not more than 2-3 novels a year and in 2018 I think I only had one reread or maybe two (Bradbury's Carnival novels).

message 13: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 626 comments Then of course come the books that I re-read by accident because I've forgotten that I've read them. I think that has happened 3 times already this year. That is my main reason for cataloging my reads here.

message 14: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

ditto Ed. I get quite a ways into a book sometimes before I realize I have already read it

message 15: by Allan (new)

In any sort of epic, like LOTR or Dune or The Wheel of Time or The Riftwar Saga or even GOT, surprise is a major enjoyment factor for me, so I'll likely never go back and re-read big time investments like those. Anything I re-read is more likely to be a quick adventure type of thing, and even then, there's a ton of those I haven't read but would like to, so why cover old territory when new discoveries are available? Still, I get nostalgia, comfort, familiarity, we all need that from time to time. My last re-read was a few Conan stories last year.

message 16: by Sarah (last edited Nov 21, 2019 03:00AM) (new)

Sarah Tate | 319 comments Glad for the thread necro, and reviving it again :) It's interesting to see what everyone picked (even though I haven't read most of them).

I've re-read some of the classics over the years... Animal Farm, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, etc.

Most recently re-read Sword Art Online 001 : Aincrad since I wanted to continue with the series, and book 2 started in a weird place. I've read it twice and watched the anime twice so I guess I'm a fan!

Grief is the Thing with Feathers is one that I haven't reread yet, but I know I will at some point in life.

message 17: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 462 comments In my childhood my most often re-read book was Ivanhoe by Walter Scott. Somehow I loved everything about it.

At the moment I'm re-reading a lot of the SFF books from my late 80ies, cause I can't remember most of them.

Quite frequently I'm re-reading the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett and short stories by Theodore Sturgeon, cause those two were my fav authors for some decades.

From the new stuff (I only got back into regular reading 1.5 years ago) I've already re-read the first three volumes of the Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson. There was so much to discover the second time.

message 18: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new)

I'm constantly torn between re-reading some books I liked and also some I just cannot recall well except that they were nice and reading new ones. I mostly do the latter because I'm seriously behind current (means last 30 years) books and want to see what the rave is about

message 19: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

I just picked up an old paperback of "Nine Princes in Amber" and read the first chapter. I was thinking of getting rid of it since I have the ebook now. Those first few books and a couple of the second set are SO good.

message 20: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new)

Kateblue wrote: "I just picked up an old paperback of "Nine Princes in Amber" and read the first chapter. I was thinking of getting rid of it since I have the ebook now. Those first few books and a couple of the se..."

I plan to reread it for ages!

message 21: by Allan (new)

I have never read it - sad, I know. I do have The Great Book of Amber on my shelf though and will pick away st it sometime!

message 22: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Allen--you realize that that great book of amber counts as 10 novels, right? It will get your count up.

message 23: by Allan (new)

Lol, yes I know! Not sure I could read them all sequentially, but if I start fitting the individual books in, I can get there.

message 24: by David (new)

David | 66 comments I read and reread The Silmarillion and The Lord of the Rings trilogy many times.

My favorite reread is probably Dune and its sequels. I've read them several times.

I've read The Foundation Trilogy and the Robot series more than once.

Hyperion by Dan Simmons and Ringworld by Larry Niven I've read more than once as well.

A Post Apocolyptic novel series i've reread and highly recommend is The Wool Trilogy.Very interesting take on post apocolyptic type sci-fi.

I've reread others, but those are some of my favs.

message 25: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Nov 26, 2019 10:21PM) (new)

Well, Allen, you said you weren't sure you could read them all sequentially. But you should read them in order sequentially even if you don't read them back to back sequentially all at one time. But I bet you will choose to read them pretty quickly once you start.

message 26: by Sarah (last edited Nov 27, 2019 02:21AM) (new)

Sarah Tate | 319 comments David wrote: "My favorite reread is probably Dune and its sequels."

Those are some hefty rereads! Dune was about a month-long read for me. It's clearly such a beloved series that I need to make time to read it all at least once.

And maybe even pick it up again in another 20-30 years (:

message 27: by David (new)

David | 66 comments Yeah, the 1st time I started it when I was 19 or 20, I got like 20 pages in before I closed it and didn't actually read it until several years had gone by. I fell in love with the book and series after that. Frank Herbert was a bit odd, but I think probably a genius. Good stuff. :)

message 28: by Allan (new)

Yes, I misspoke. I meant back-to-back-to-back.... I'm a stickler for reading things in proper sequence, but my dog has a better attention span. No matter how good they are, I might not be able to read more than 2-3 together. I'm easily distracted to all those other books on my shelves that constantly call to me.

message 29: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Allen, I know, it's like your dog when there are several squirrels on different sides of the yard. My husband calls it "squirrel syndrome" "Oh, I can do that, or I can do that, ooo!" So nothing ever gets all the way done. At least you are finishing these books!

message 30: by Allan (new)

I am right there with you. It takes me a monumental effort to finish a book without starting 3 others. I still have 3-4 going at once, all at about the same %. If one pulls ahead or picks up momentum, I charge forward on that one. When I get towards 75%, I know I'm in the home stretch and can finish if I can muster a little focus.

message 31: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

I never used to read more than one at a time. I'm blaming it on GR. But at least I have more fun things to read.

message 32: by Kalin (new)

Kalin | 565 comments I usually read more than one at a time because I read some tougher nonfiction that requires more breaks and slower pacing. Fiction I can plow through no problem but then I'd get bogged down for weeks with one nonfic, so I bounce back and forth between the easier and harder reads.