Old Books, New Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > April 2019 Book Selection - The Scarlet Pimpernel

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela | 32 comments So the April book selection is The Scarlet Pimpernel by Countess Orczy. The Countess was also a playwright and she based this book on her play of the same name. I hope everyone enjoys this read. I picked up my copy last night. Thank you all for your patience and time.

message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela | 32 comments The Scarlet Pimpernel is the first novel in a series of historical fiction by Baroness Orczy, published 1905. It was written after her stage play of the same title enjoyed a long run in London, having opened in Nottingham in 1903.

The novel is set during the Reign of Terror following the start of the French Revolution. The title is the nom de guerre of its hero and protagonist,

There have been 11 films so far made with the The Pimpernel with actors including Leslie Howard, David Niven and Anthony Edwards. To me he is one of the first literary super heroes

message 3: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Bianchi | 5 comments Thanks for the information Angela, it sounds so interesting. Hard to believe I've never seen any of the movies. I can't wait to read the book. I have two ahead for book clubs though, lol.

message 4: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Bianchi | 5 comments Hi, I was on eBay looking for a cheap copy of the book and decided to go to Amazon and check it out. Lo and Behold, there is a free Kindle if anyone hasn't gotten there book yet. Boy oy boy have I ever gotten some greats deals on books at eBay recently. I got my Library book club April book a pristine copy The History of Us for $3.30!

message 5: by tabascosauce (new)

tabascosauce (twicebakedsmallpotatoes) | 60 comments Mod
You can read the whole series here: http://blakeneymanor.com/series.html
(click on the flower, not the name)

message 6: by La Tonya (new)

La Tonya  Jordan | 570 comments Mod
twice_baked✌️ wrote: "You can read the whole series here: http://blakeneymanor.com/series.html
(click on the flower, not the name)"

Wow 😲 Thank You, Enjoy Reading, La Tonya 📚

message 7: by Angela (new)

Angela | 32 comments thanks for the website for a copy of the book. My copy is way to fragile to read. So far what do you think about the read???

message 8: by Angela (new)

Angela | 32 comments I started reading this yesterday and wow I am now reading it out loud. The language to me flows. You need to hear the words to get the maximum effect.
Each Monday I shall put a topic up to discuss
Please join in.
History of the French Revolution is key to this book. Does the fact that you either know a lot about the time or not know anything about the French Revolution enhance or detract from your reading?>

message 9: by Candace (new)

Candace | 11 comments I'm starting this look tonight. I'm so looking forward to it

message 10: by Candace (new)

Candace | 11 comments I meant I start this book tonight. Sorry for the typo.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B | 80 comments I just got the book from the library on Monday and now that I finished reading "the Old Man and the Sea" I will start reading it. I have heard the name before but have no idea what it is about. I read a bit of the forward and it says it is an adventure story, which surprised me. Had no idea. I didn't know there were movies based on it either.

message 12: by Angela (new)

Angela | 32 comments Candace wrote: "I'm starting this look tonight. I'm so looking forward to it"
I so hope you enjoy it.

message 13: by Candace (new)

Candace | 11 comments Thank you, Angela! I've seen the movie but have never read the book. I'm enjoying it! ;-)

message 14: by Angela (new)

Angela | 32 comments Candace wrote: "Thank you, Angela! I've seen the movie but have never read the book. I'm enjoying it! ;-)"

I am also reading it for the first time. I am slowly ingesting the book

message 15: by Angela (new)

Angela | 32 comments Sarah wrote: "I just got the book from the library on Monday and now that I finished reading "the Old Man and the Sea" I will start reading it. I have heard the name before but have no idea what it is about. I r..."

I am so glad you are going to enjoy it. I attempted Old Man and the Sea in my 20's and just did not enjoy it. But after reading The Paris Wife by Paula McClain which was a fictional account of Hemingway's first marriage, I am going to attempt The Sun Also Rises soon

message 16: by tabascosauce (new)

Angela wrote: "I started reading this yesterday and wow I am now reading it out loud. The language to me flows. You need to hear the words to get the maximum effect.
Each Monday I shall put a topic up to discus..."

I'm completely biased since I grew up w sisters who were huge fangirls about it (and now I'm one, great), but I don't think my being completely ignorant about the French Revolution got in the way at all. I learned a lot more from this series than I did from school or textbooks - and I enjoyed learning abt it in history sm more after I read the series. ;)

message 17: by Angela (new)

Angela | 32 comments I love history so for me I loved this aspect but I am also aware that many people just do not like historical events. Last summer I read A Tale of Two Cities and the French Revolution was so important to that story as well.

message 18: by tabascosauce (new)

Angela wrote: "I love history so for me I loved this aspect but I am also aware that many people just do not like historical events. Last summer I read A Tale of Two Cities and the French Revolution was so import..."

Yeah, I loved how it was historically accurate (to a point ofc) while at the same time it was interesting and even tense at some places.

message 19: by Mark (new)

Mark (markvanvollenhoven) | 14 comments I had to look up my copy, which is a 1920-ish copy but look forward to reading again, always been a great favorite of mine. I loved the movies even if I found Richard E. Grants six-part tv movie series highly enjoyable.

message 20: by tabascosauce (new)

Mark wrote: "I had to look up my copy, which is a 1920-ish copy but look forward to reading again, always been a great favorite of mine. I loved the movies even if I found Richard E. Grants six-part tv movie se..."

The movies were so fun to watch!

message 21: by Mark (last edited Apr 24, 2019 02:02AM) (new)

Mark (markvanvollenhoven) | 14 comments They still are today, I like the easy and relaxed editing over the current fast edited pace today.

message 22: by La Tonya (new)

Mark wrote: "They still are today, I like the easy and relaxed editing over the geanticipeerd pace today."

Great 👏👏👏 Enjoy Reading, La Tonya 📚

message 23: by Mark (new)

Mark (markvanvollenhoven) | 14 comments "We seek him here, we seek him there
Those Frenchies seek him everywhere!
Is he in heaven? Or is he in hell?
That demmed Elusive Pimpernel?"

Already three-third through the book, I had not forgotten how much fun this first adventure was, it is perhaps the reason why this books has been so often filmed.

message 24: by Angela (new)

Angela | 32 comments a 18th Century James Bond/austin powers spy

message 25: by Mark (last edited Apr 26, 2019 11:46AM) (new)

Mark (markvanvollenhoven) | 14 comments He was first, So 007 & Powers are 20th century Percy Blakeney’s

message 26: by Mark (last edited Apr 26, 2019 11:49AM) (new)

Mark (markvanvollenhoven) | 14 comments I did finish this first novel which is in essence a historical, adventure romantic adventure from the perspective from the female leading character.
Still an original that has been copied many a time and the next installments show us more Sir Percy Blakeney from his perspective and in his full powers.

I left a review behind in my profile

message 27: by La Tonya (new)

Mark wrote: "I did finish this first novel which is in essence a historical, adventure romantic adventure from the perspective from the female leading character.
Still an original that has been copied many a t..."

A link to Mark's review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Enjoy Reading,
La Tonya 📚

message 28: by tabascosauce (new)

I love that Percy Blakeney is still a trendsetter bc ppl are copying that "dashing hero" thing in so many books 😂😂

message 29: by Candace (new)

Candace | 11 comments I finished the book. I liked the dashing hero Sir Percy Blakeney. He matches the black and white movie character I watched years ago. I like the name of his yacht, Day Dream. I knew a little bit about the French Revolution from reading the Tale of Two Cities. I read further about the Reign of Terror and the Revolution on Wikipedia after I read the Scarlet Pimpernel. Below is a link to my review.
My Review

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B | 80 comments I have only about 100 more pages to read and I expect to finish the book later today. I also about 2/3 of the way through another book, The Woman in the Dunes for the penpal like book club.

I know I bit about the French Revolution, a lot of my knowledge is more movie based, like those lovely movie length episodes of Horatio Hornblower. And I love Pirates of the Caribbean, which is set around 1750. So I've read historical fiction before too.

I must say I had no idea what the book was about when I started it. And I actually guessed who the Pimpernel was quite early on before they announced it. I found it very easy. If anyone is interested I'll say how I guessed it and no, never seen any movies based on the book either.

I did think parts of the book, especially early scenes in the Fisherman's Rest, seemed like a play.

I did Google a few words, two in French and one that I just never ran across before that meant 'silly' but otherwise no problems with the book. Googling the words were not really necessary but I was just nosey to know what they meant.

message 31: by Angela (new)

Angela | 32 comments the original work was a play written by the same author

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B | 80 comments I finished the book!

message 33: by Mark (new)

Mark (markvanvollenhoven) | 14 comments I hope you have enjoyed the book Sarah.

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B | 80 comments I did enjoy it. I read in the forward of the book that many modern heroes are based off of the Scarlet Pimpernel and he did keep reminding me of a very popular Disney pirate...which is why I knew I didn't have to worry about anything plotwise while reading. He is far too clever. His plan would be four or five steps ahead of the enemy. She would be the one to get into trouble from lack of experience. And I did guess him at the end too (the disguise). I guess it's a good thing that Chauvelin never watched POTC or else he would have maybe guessed his disguise like I did! 😅 of course if he would see POTC he would no doubt run the other way screaming about witchcraft because a movie would be totally unknown to him.

message 35: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 17 comments I just love this book. Blakesly just keeps outdoing Chavelin. I also like that they used to inhale smoke to recover from fainting.

message 36: by Angela (new)

Angela | 32 comments I love the little cultural devices like that myself. I remember watching the movie with Jane Seymour as Margaruerite and the hand gestures that Anthony Edwards used as Blakeney

message 37: by tabascosauce (new)

Angela wrote: "I love the little cultural devices like that myself. I remember watching the movie with Jane Seymour as Margaruerite and the hand gestures that Anthony Edwards used as Blakeney"

YES! That movie was so good.

message 38: by tabascosauce (new)

Sarah wrote: "I have only about 100 more pages to read and I expect to finish the book later today. I also about 2/3 of the way through another book, The Woman in the Dunes for the penpal like book ..."

Yeah, the sad thing is that she's not a mystery writer, and it's almost less exciting when you know before she tells you. Thankfully I've never known it to ruin the book (I've loaned it to a cpl ppl), so hopefully you still enjoyed it ?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.