Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Fun and Games > Book Cover Battle

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Mar 31, 2019 07:21AM) (new)

Laura | 3823 comments Mod
Books usually have multiple covers, often based on the market in which the book is selling. Although the content is most important, the cover usually really catches the eye and sells the book. Us bibliophiles truly love a good cover.

So in this game, I will periodically post covers to be pitted against one another. Our first battle is between the UK and US version for our April book of the month:

description

Although I can't help but love the simplicity of the US cover (left), I'm a sucker for florals so have to lean towards the UK one (right)

* Discuss your thoughts in the comments but if you want to get a little more fancy and technical, vote in the link below.

Which cover do you like best?

message 2: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7028 comments Mod
If I knew that that cover of Circe existed, I may have liked the book more lol. I totally judge a book by its cover!

message 3: by Carmen (new)

Carmen (TheReadingTrashQueen) (thereadingtrashqueen) | 260 comments I have to admit that in general I much prefer the UK covers of books!

message 4: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments I like the US cover more for this one - I find the UK one a little too busy. I’m a simple girl!

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 926 comments I'm going for the US cover in this instance, although the UK cover would not keep me from the book (and sometimes covers do). I'm sad I won't be able to read this with the group, but I am #38 for the library copy, so I imagine it will be on my next year's reading list.

message 6: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1715 comments I love the UK cover except I’m kind of bothered by the title being vertical. The face on the US cover totally freaks me out, for some reason.

message 7: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

dalex wrote: "I love the UK cover except I’m kind of bothered by the title being vertical. The face on the US cover totally freaks me out, for some reason."

I agree on all points, dalex!

message 8: by Entropia (new)

Entropia | 278 comments I prefer US cover, it instantly reads as something connected to ancient Greece.

SadieReadsAgain (sadiestartsagain) | 395 comments I prefer the UK cover, I love a good floral print! And I don't like the face on the US version, it doesn't make me want to check out the book at all.

message 10: by Deena (new)

Deena Abutaha (mwinamman) | 66 comments The UK version is so pretty!

message 11: by Edie (new)

Edie | 826 comments I prefer the US cover. The UK cover is pretty, but it suggests a book about gardening, not Greek mythology.

message 12: by viemag (new)

viemag (smagelky) | 157 comments I prefer the US cover, because I feel it gives you a little better idea of what the book is about, that it is based on Greek Mythology.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 546 comments I like the UK cover better. To me it just stands out more and would be the one I would be drawn to pick up and look at.

message 14: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Here's another one that stood out to me. I've never seen the UK cover before!

description

message 15: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Ok. I love LOVE the American version (it's so pretty!), but I think the UK version is much more representative of the story... and I'd probably have gone into the story with different expectations if I saw the UK cover first.

message 16: by Carmen (new)

Carmen (TheReadingTrashQueen) (thereadingtrashqueen) | 260 comments I love both, but given my aversion to orange, I have to go with the US cover for this one. Although my own cover is different 😅

message 17: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (heirloomroses) | 211 comments Entropia wrote: "I prefer US cover, it instantly reads as something connected to ancient Greece."

My thoughts exactly.

message 18: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 906 comments Emily wrote: "Ok. I love LOVE the American version (it's so pretty!), but I think the UK version is much more representative of the story... and I'd probably have gone into the story with different expectations ..."

I too love the American cover but you make a great point about the UK version. There is something I also really like about the UK version, perhaps not as pretty but a cool vibe.

message 19: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1715 comments I prefer the UK version of An American Marriage. I like the layout, the graphics, and the color scheme.

The asymmetry of the US cover - how the tree and the lettering are all leaning to the right - bothers me. And is the tree supposed to be symbolic? Like in how it is rootless and scraggly? Because it's not a very pretty tree.

message 20: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

I didn't notice until posting this that the tree has an ax mark in the bottom. I think it's definitely symbolic, given the book content and the marriage struggles.

message 21: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Here's another one:

description

message 22: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

I LOVE the American version of this one, and I don't think I would have bought it with any other cover. It's a shame that the cover is better than the contents in this case lol.

message 23: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 237 comments Circe: I like the American cover better. As someone else mentioned the UK cover is a little too busy for me.

An American Marriage: I can't decide. The American cover is pretty and I like the symbolism of the broken tree, but I also love the silhouettes in the UK cover.

The Immortalists: I definitely like the American one better. This book initially caught my attention because of the US cover. The UK cover isn't attention-grabbing to me.

message 24: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1715 comments The Immortalists....the one on the right.....that's a big no from me. The diagonal title, the block of text in the center, the overall busyness of it. Ugh. The one on the left is pretty but kind of generic.

message 25: by viemag (new)

viemag (smagelky) | 157 comments I like the UK version of the book An American Marriage, it brings to mind the different perspectives in a marriage. But, I like the US version of The Immortalists. It is more mysterious and the story is mysterious.

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) With The Immortalists the one on the left reminds me too much of 70's couches. Bleah. (Though, as came up recently in another group, I'm not a person who gets excited about cover art anyway. I almost never love any covers, just have a few that I think are especially ugly.)

message 27: by Johanna (new)

Johanna Ellwood (jpellwood) | 229 comments I prefer the US covers for all 3.

message 28: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2872 comments Wow, I think I like the US versions of all three but those UK covers are also really nice!

message 29: by Jackie (last edited Jul 10, 2019 10:43AM) (new)

Jackie (heirloomroses) | 211 comments My preferences:

Circe by Madeline Miller
It has sadness and ancient Greece written all over it.

An American Marriage by Tayari Jones
Two people divided by circumstances. Also the text is slightly obscured in the US Version by the tree.

The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin
I find the US version more beautiful and the tree invokes the feeling of connectedness.