Play Book Tag discussion

A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
This topic is about A Study in Scarlet
March 2019: Debut > A Study in Scarlet, by Arthur Conan Doyle, 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ (last edited Mar 31, 2019 09:00AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5003 comments A Study in Scarlet is Arthur Conan Doyle's first Sherlock Holmes story, and the first I've ever read. I don't know what took me so long. Overall it was better than I would have expected. The first half of the book introduces us to Dr Watson (who narrates the story), and then to Holmes, and then details their first case together. My favorite part of mysteries is the characters, so I hate to miss the first in a series. The first half of the book describes how they solved the crime and caught the murderer. I thought, OK, that was good enough for an intro to the series.

Then the next half started with a story in America, about a man and his daughter who were lost in the wilderness, and saved by a group of Mormons. This was a very compelling story. (For a little while I thought I was listening to A Study in Scarlet and other stories, and I figured that this was another story. Then I recognized a name and realized how the stories are connected.) This part really made the book so much more interesting. If all the books give this other perspective, I'm going to like the series. 4 stars

Jgrace | 2762 comments I've always loved the Holmes stories. It was something I got from my Dad. I think Conan Doyle was better at short stories, but you can't miss the original meet up of Holmes and Watson.