What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Girl and the Moon Man: A Siberian Tale
This topic is about The Girl and the Moon Man
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's Picture book: Arctic (Winter) Setting, Moon-man attempts to kidnap child. [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nathaniel (new)

Nathaniel | 2 comments This has bugged me for a while.

The book is a picture book, and if I remember correctly, has physically rather small dimensions, and the illustrations are black and white. It was definitely published before 2000, and probably published in the 1980s or 1990s, but I'm not sure.

The setting is the Artic in winter, probably among the Inuit, though maybe northern Scandinavia (Sami). There are lots of reindeer/caribou around.

My memory of the plot details is not perfect, but it involves the moon-man (literally drawn as the moon with eyes, nose, mouth, with arms and legs that seem small relative to the rest of his body) deciding he wanted to kidnap a child (a boy, I think, but again, not sure) he sees down below. Each time he comes down from the sky in a sled driven by reindeer, the child turns into an oil lamp, so the moon-man cannot find them in their dwelling. It may be that the reindeer help hide the child--I do not really remember any major adult human characters in the book. The moon then returns to the sky, and the child returns to human form. This happens several times, and on the third time, the moon is captured and tied up (can't remember how), until he agrees to stop trying to kidnap the child.

I remember the artwork in the book was beautiful, but also that the moon man was kind of creepy. In different images, the moon is drawn in different "phases" sometimes he drawn as a full moon, while in others, he's more crescent shaped. I have very distinct memories of the images, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of the book.

Thanks for any help!

message 2: by Ayshe (last edited Apr 04, 2019 04:58PM) (new)

Ayshe | 4118 comments It appears to be Chukchi tale. The Girl and the Moon Man: A Siberian Tale maybe?

message 3: by Nathaniel (new)

Nathaniel | 2 comments Just checked this thread after a long while to see if anyone had answered. This is 100% the book I was talking about. Thank you!