Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Murder in Christmas River (Christmas River #1)
This topic is about Murder in Christmas River
Featured Series and Cozies > Christmas River by Meg Muldoon - Author Joining Discussion

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nell (last edited Apr 02, 2019 03:50AM) (new)

Nell | 2654 comments Mod
The theme for April '19 is Pacific Northwest - US region and the featured series is Christmas River by Meg Muldoon. The MC is Cinnamon Peters, a "pie baker extraordinaire", who lives in a Christmas-themed small town. The first book in the series is Murder in Christmas River.
Murder in Christmas River (Christmas River #1) by Meg Muldoon

Other books in the series are:
Mayhem in Christmas River (Christmas River #2) by Meg Muldoon Madness in Christmas River (Christmas River #3) by Meg Muldoon Malice in Christmas River (Christmas River #4) by Meg Muldoon Roasted in Christmas River (Christmas River #4.5) by Meg Muldoon Mischief in Christmas River (Christmas River #5) by Meg Muldoon Manic in Christmas River (Christmas River #6) by Meg Muldoon Magic in Christmas River (Christmas River #7) by Meg Muldoon Menace in Christmas River (Christmas River #8) by Meg Muldoon Missing in Christmas River (Christmas River #9) by Meg Muldoon Meltdown in Christmas River (Christmas River Cozy Book 10) by Meg Muldoon Cinnamon Peters & The Rabbit Bandit (Christmas River Cozy Mystery Shorts Book 1) by Meg Muldoon Caught in Christmas River (Christmas River Cozy Mystery Novellas Book 2) by Meg Muldoon Crushed in Christmas River (Christmas River Cozy Mystery Novellas Book 3) by Meg Muldoon Midnight in Christmas River (Christmas River Cozy Book 11) by Meg Muldoon Mistake in Christmas River (Christmas River Cozy Book 12) by Meg Muldoon

Mayhem in Christmas River
Madness in Christmas River
Malice in Christmas River
Roasted in Christmas River - novella
Mischief in Christmas River
Manic in Christmas River
Magic in Christmas River
Menace in Christmas River
Missing in Christmas River
Meltdown in Christmas River
Cinnamon Peters & The Rabbit Bandit - novella
Caught in Christmas River
Crushed in Christmas River - novella
Midnight in Christmas River
Mistake in Christmas River

Welcome to the author, Meg Muldoon, who is joining the discussion.

Discuss any book in the series and/or post questions for the author in this thread.

message 2: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2654 comments Mod
Comment from the author:

Hi, everyone! This is Meg Muldoon and I'm very excited to be here! Thanks to Sharon for selecting Murder in Christmas River for the cozy mystery read this April. I look forward to your questions!! Murder in Christmas River is available in paperback format on Amazon (I'm including the link below.) All the books in The Christmas River series are in the Kindle Unlimited program if you're reading them as e-books. Also, if you end up getting The Christmas River Box Set: Books 1-3 (also in KU) there are recipes included in the back. Hope all of this helps! Here's the paperback link: https://amzn.to/2JITqOo

message 3: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2654 comments Mod
Question from Sharon for Meg Muldoon:

Did you envision writing an entire Christmas River series when you started writing Book #1?

message 4: by Meg (new)

Meg Muldoon | 4 comments Great question, Sharon. When I wrote Murder in Christmas River six years ago, I did plan on it being the first in a series. However, I’d never written a series before, so I didn’t know what to expect or if I could actually do it! All I knew was that I had this character’s voice in my head -- Cinnamon Peters -- and she had something to say. The series is at 12 books now plus several novellas (turns out she had a lot to say!) It’s been such a special journey writing these and I plan to continue for as long as Cinnamon keeps talking.

Julesy | 390 comments I listened to a couple of these on audio and enjoyed them. I would like to listen to more of these books.

Barbara Sousa | 442 comments I listened to the audio versions, too, and enjoyed them. I will return to the series later this year.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) | 893 comments This was an odd cozy mystery, good, but odd! The murder seems almost an aside to the relationship problems that Cinnamon is going through, and the final pinpoint of the murder was strange and came out of left field (oh and quite a bit of the book after that as well - normally there is a little summation but not three chapters worth!), as I say it was a good read but not sure I would really class it as a cozy mystery, but as a general read I will look into future ones in the series.

message 8: by jaxnsmom (new) - added it

jaxnsmom | 2439 comments Mod
I've just started the book and am really enjoying it.

Meg - are any of the characters (or parts of them) based on people you know? They come across as very realistic and believable.

message 9: by Meg (new)

Meg Muldoon | 4 comments Hi, Jaxnsmom! Thank you for the question and compliment! Some of the characters in Christmas River are based in part on people (and dogs) I know. Cinnamon's best friend Kara has some similar characteristics to my older sister (the crafting part especially!) Huckleberry the dog is based on the sweet Australian Shepherd I had growing up. But some of the characters don't have a real world equivalent. I've always thought of Cinnamon's grandfather Warren as a one-of-a-kind fellow and I've never met anyone quite like him in real life. He's the kind of grandfather I think we all wish we had growing up -- kind, wise, but with a bit of a fun-loving mischevious streak, too, Warren constantly redefines the term "elderly" throughout the series, and when I think about it, he's probably my favorite character to write about!

message 10: by Meg (new) - added it

Meg (makeli2) | 906 comments I won't be able to read the first book this month, unfortunately! I did get it, though, and looking forward to reading it in the next month or two.

message 11: by Sharon (new) - added it

Sharon Michaels | 27 comments Questions for Author Meg Muldoon:
1. Do you have the entire story outlined before you sit down to write or does the story evolve as you are writing?
2. Do you personally create and bake all the pies you share in your books? :)

Zermeena | 267 comments I finished listening to Murder in Christmas River Murder in Christmas River (Christmas River #1) by Meg Muldoon a few days ago. I enjoyed it and plan to listen to more of the series. However I was disappointed that the audiobook didn't have any recipes at the end. I'm ready for some pie!

Meg - would you please consider sharing some recipes here?!

message 13: by Meg (new)

Meg Muldoon | 4 comments Sharon wrote: "Questions for Author Meg Muldoon:
1. Do you have the entire story outlined before you sit down to write or does the story evolve as you are writing?
2. Do you personally create and bake all the pie..."

Thanks for these questions, Sharon! When I write a book, I use a brief outline to start. However, I'm a big believer in the creative process and letting the story go where it needs to when I'm writing, so I don't create detailed outlines. Often, inspiration for a big plot point won't come to me until I've written a good portion of the book, so I always like to leave room for inspired developments when writing. And as to your second question, I've made versions of many of the pies featured in the books over the years for "research" purposes ;)

message 14: by Meg (new)

Meg Muldoon | 4 comments Zermeena wrote: "I finished listening to Murder in Christmas RiverMurder in Christmas River (Christmas River #1) by Meg Muldoon a few days ago. I enjoyed it and plan to listen to more of the series. However I was ..."

So glad you enjoyed the book, Zermeena! I offer a free pie recipe booklet (along with a free Christmas River novella!) when you sign up for my mailing list at https://www.megmuldoon.com/newsletter

And you can also find some free recipes on my blog at the link here: https://megmuldoon.blogspot.com/p/coz...

Hope this helps! I plan to come out with a Christmas River Cookbook at some point as well featuring all of Cinnamon's best pie recipes.

Zermeena | 267 comments Meg wrote: "Zermeena wrote: "I finished listening to Murder in Christmas RiverMurder in Christmas River (Christmas River #1) by Meg Muldoon a few days ago. I enjoyed it and plan to listen to more of the serie..."

Hi Meg,
Thank you for your reply. I look forward to trying some of the recipes on your website this summer. I also look forward to listen to the next Christmas River mystery.