Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Killer Jam (A Dewberry Farm Mystery, #1)
This topic is about Killer Jam
Featured Series and Cozies > Dewberry Farm (Killer Jam) by Karen MacInerney

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nell (last edited Apr 02, 2019 04:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nell | 2571 comments Mod
The member's choice featured series for April '19 is the Dewberry Farm mysteries by Karen MacInerney. Lucy Resnick moves to Buttercup, Texas to run her grandmother's farm. The first book in the series is Killer Jam.

Killer Jam (A Dewberry Farm Mystery, #1) by Karen MacInerney

Other books in the series:
Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2) by Karen MacInerney Deadly Brew (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #3) by Karen MacInerney Mistletoe Murder (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #4) by Karen MacInerney Dyeing Season (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #5) by Karen MacInerney

Fatal Frost
Deadly Brew
Mistletoe Murder
Dyeing Season

Discuss any book in the series here.

Nell | 2571 comments Mod
I have the first book in the series on my Kindle. That's the one I'll read.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) | 863 comments I will be reading the 2nd one Fatal Frost Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2) by Karen MacInerney

Julesy | 382 comments I've read a couple of these books. I liked the first book okay and the next one not so much. Can't put my finger on why I didn't really enjoy it.

Barbara Sousa | 439 comments I recently finished the first book in this series, and I am kind of on the fence about it. I am curious to see what you all think.

Gary Sundell | 787 comments I hope to get to the first book this month. I have the first 2 on my Kkndle.

message 7: by Barb (new) - added it

Barb | 668 comments I like this author, so I've had this series on my list for quite some time. I'm hoping to read the first in this series later in the month :)

Gary Sundell | 787 comments Just recently started Book 1, only at the 7% mark. I tend to read on the Kindle when the Nook is recharging. I also was finishing the first of my monthly serial reads challenge on my Nook. Now I can spend more time on this and Agatha Raisin #3 and Tourist Trap #8.

message 9: by Ami (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ami | 15 comments I’m about to start book one. :D never heard of this series before. Can’t wait to start it.

message 10: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara (mrstarax) | 3 comments With the book discussion, do we discuss it once we have finished or gradually as we read the book?

message 11: by Nell (last edited Apr 09, 2019 02:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nell | 2571 comments Mod
Tara wrote: "With the book discussion, do we discuss it once we have finished or gradually as we read the book?"

You can discuss the books at any point as long as you block spoilers so you don't give away the mystery. Block spoilers by inserting the comment between the <>.

<*spoiler> insert text <*/spoiler>

Remove the * and the comment is hidden unless the reader chooses to read it.

message 12: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara (mrstarax) | 3 comments Thank you.
I’ve read a few chapters already (on audible).
I am loving the setting of this book. Such lovely descriptions by the author. A farm setting feels different to other cozies I’ve read before.

message 13: by Ami (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ami | 15 comments Julesy wrote: "I've read a couple of these books. I liked the first book okay and the next one not so much. Can't put my finger on why I didn't really enjoy it."

I'm having the same problem so far. This is my first time with this series, and I'm starting with book 1. I'm halfway through it and... I don't know... something just isn't working for me but I can't tell what it is...? I mean, the writing is good, the characters are fine, lovely descriptions and maybe even a little bit of (view spoiler), so that is cool... but I don't know. I just don't feel 100% hooked on the story yet. I'm not a big fan of farm life, so that might just be what is throwing me off.

message 14: by Gary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gary Sundell | 787 comments I am about a third of the way in and am enjoying it so far.

Barbara Sousa | 439 comments Ami wrote: "Julesy wrote: "I've read a couple of these books. I liked the first book okay and the next one not so much. Can't put my finger on why I didn't really enjoy it."

I'm having the same problem so far..."

Ami, I totally get it. It has all of the elements and should be a good book, but it just didn't work for me. For what it's worth, it did get better once the mystery picked up, but still, I'm on the fence about this series.

message 16: by Nell (last edited Apr 12, 2019 12:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nell | 2571 comments Mod
I finished Killer Jam last weekend. It turned out to be a good mystery. I'm glad I stuck with it though there was more information about farming and making jam than I wanted to know. The number of suspects with motives to kill kept me guessing and I enjoyed the resolution.

message 17: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark Baker (carstairs38) | 673 comments By coincidence I read the newest in the series this month since it just came out. I've enjoyed Karen's books since I discovered her Gray Whale Inn series. There are a few weak books that she's released, but overall, I really enjoy all of her books. Dyeing Season was fun, especially since it is set at Easter.

message 18: by Meg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Meg (makeli2) | 869 comments I'm caught up with this series except for the very latest one. They were quick, easy reads. I have Dyeing Season TBR.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) | 863 comments A gentle second book in the series, Karen MacInerney writes about smalltown problems and smalltown people, you don't expect the problems to include murder though!

It is coming up on Christmas but this is not really the season of Joy and Thanksgiving, in Buttercup there is a Christmas fair running, but a new church is trying to get people to boycott this, even though the money is to help a local person get adaptations to her house so she can stay in it. One of Lucy's friends (Molly) has a daughter who has joined that church, mainly because she is going out with the preacher's son. Part way through the week of the fair there is a problem with a fire in a house, what we discover is a) the person renting the house was dead before the fire started and b) there was a black lab puppy who was alive but burned.

Now Molly is worried as her daughter has eloped with the preacher's son, and when she goes to report this to the local sheriff he arrests her for the murder of the woman in the house! Now Lucy needs to put her investigative reporters had back on, ignore the fact that her boyfriend's stunning ex is in town, and find out the truth as Rooster (the sheriff) is not looking at anybody else other than Molly.

Zermeena | 229 comments I just finished Killer Jam and I quite liked it. I enjoyed all the cooking, jam making and farming. I also love Chuck! The ending managed to tie everything up nicely and set up friendships for the next book (which I plan to read). Even though I felt like I was step ahead of Lucy at times there were enough plot twists to keep me guessing.

message 21: by MadameZelda (new) - added it

MadameZelda | 614 comments Good to know, Zermeena. I've had that in my TBR for awhile.

message 22: by Meg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Meg (makeli2) | 869 comments I now have Dyeing Season on the TBR. I won't be able to read it in time for this month's discussions, unfortunately!