Tracy Grant Book Club discussion

Rannoch Series > What's everyone reading this weekend?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 819 comments Mod
I'm doing the last touches to copy edits, so I'm still reading THE GLENISTER PAPERS. Looking forward to Candy Harris's WHO SLAYS THE WICKED next week.

message 2: by Petra (new)

Petra | 95 comments I was lucky to win an advance copy of Who Slays the Wicked! I liked it a lot. Can’t wait to hear what you think, Tracy!

message 3: by Betty (new)

Betty Strohecker | 152 comments Looking forward to that one also!

message 4: by Betty (new)

Betty Strohecker | 152 comments I'm back to reading Victoria Thompson's Gaslight mystery series - Murder on Amsterdam Avenue - #17.

message 5: by Dorthe (new)

Dorthe Enger | 6 comments I'm reading the latest Veronica Speedwell mystery A Dangerous Collaboration. I might try the Victoria Thompson series. I like to follow the development of interesting characters and their relationships.

message 6: by Betty (new)

Betty Strohecker | 152 comments If you are interested in New York City and good mysteries that begin in 1895, I think you would enjoy this series, Dorthe. So many interesting historical facts and two engaging main characters, midwife Sarah Brandt and police detective Frank Malloy. It has been a treat to watch their relationship develop.

message 7: by Dorthe (new)

Dorthe Enger | 6 comments Sounds good, Betty. It's interesting to watch the growth and development, especially after the couple gets together. It's always a challenge for a writer to find new ways of exploring the relationship after love has been declared. I think Tracy is good at that.
Also my old favourite The Scarlet Pimpernel. Sir Percy and Marguerite were always interesting, I thought.

message 8: by Petra (new)

Petra | 95 comments Dorthe, I have the Veronica Speedwell on my list very soon! I have two other books to get through first.

message 9: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 819 comments Mod
Petra wrote: "I was lucky to win an advance copy of Who Slays the Wicked! I liked it a lot. Can’t wait to hear what you think, Tracy!"

I'm really looking forward to it! I envy your getting an advance read :-).

message 10: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 819 comments Mod
Dorthe wrote: "I'm reading the latest Veronica Speedwell mystery A Dangerous Collaboration. I might try the Victoria Thompson series. I like to follow the development of interesting characters and their relations..."

I haven't read the latest Veronica Speedwell book but I read the prior ones - really good! Deanna is a great writer.

message 11: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 819 comments Mod
Dorthe wrote: "Sounds good, Betty. It's interesting to watch the growth and development, especially after the couple gets together. It's always a challenge for a writer to find new ways of exploring the relations..."

Thanks so much, Dorthe! I really enjoy exploring relationships after the couple is married, both as a writer and as a reader. That's one reason I've always loved The Scarlet Pimpernel.

Betty, I really need to try to the Victoria Thompson series!

message 12: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 33 comments Like you ladies, I can't wait for Who Slays the Wicked - I do love that series. I'm 10 chapters into Charles Finch's latest, The Vanishing Man. Another author with a real gift!

message 13: by Patti (new)

Patti | 96 comments looking forward to who slays the wicked!! also enjoy the Maise DObbs series by Jacquline Winspear

message 14: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 819 comments Mod
Lynne and Patti, those are two series I haven't tried yet - thanks for the recs!

message 15: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Thorpe | 206 comments Petra wrote: "I was lucky to win an advance copy of Who Slays the Wicked! I liked it a lot. Can’t wait to hear what you think, Tracy!"

Lucky you!! I'm can't wait for mine to show up.

message 16: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Thorpe | 206 comments Lynne wrote: "Like you ladies, I can't wait for Who Slays the Wicked - I do love that series. I'm 10 chapters into Charles Finch's latest, The Vanishing Man. Another author with a real gift!"

I have read all the books in that series. Charles Finch is an excellent writer.

message 17: by Kimberly (last edited Apr 02, 2019 06:42AM) (new)

Kimberly Thorpe | 206 comments This weekend I started Cherringham - Cliffhanger, A cozy mystery. It is an interesting series set in the Cotswold's of England with a retired NY police detective and a Web designer solving crimes. They are quick reads, normally less than 200 pages. There are two authors, one British and one American so you really get a feel for an American fitting into British life.

message 18: by Dorthe (new)

Dorthe Enger | 6 comments Tracy wrote: "Dorthe wrote: "I'm reading the latest Veronica Speedwell mystery A Dangerous Collaboration. I might try the Victoria Thompson series. I like to follow the development of interesting characters and ..."

Dorthe wrote: "Sounds good, Betty. It's interesting to watch the growth and development, especially after the couple gets together. It's always a challenge for a writer to find new ways of exploring the relations..."

Petra, Betty and Tracy. I can definitely recommend the latest Speedwell. There are interesting developments. Also, I think I should read the Victoria Thompson mysteries.

message 19: by Betty (new)

Betty Strohecker | 152 comments I read the first two and really wasn't fond of Veronica Speedwell. I loved Deanna's Julia Grey series and her stand alones. Maybe I should give it another chance.

message 20: by Dorthe (new)

Dorthe Enger | 6 comments I wasn't fond of her either. However, her background makes her behaviour credible. In the latest book, she's being challenged. I like that. I like when characters have to face up.

message 21: by Petra (new)

Petra | 95 comments I also don't like Veronica Speedwell as much as I liked lady Julia Gray. But I like the series enough to look forward to each new book.

message 22: by Betty (new)

Betty Strohecker | 152 comments Thanks, ladies!

message 23: by Patti (new)

Patti | 96 comments took me 3 days but LOVED Who Slays the WIcked. I never guess the killer and was quite surprized at who it was

message 24: by Petra (new)

Petra | 95 comments I never guess the killer either (and it doesn't bother me). But I feel like in Who Slays the Wicked there were no clues to guess and Sebastian figured it out suddenly at the end.
That's without re-reading...maybe I'd catch some clues the second time.

message 25: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Thorpe | 206 comments Just finished "Who Slays the Wicked", another great story. I also enjoyed the secondary story of the historical articles that Hero is writing. I think they really bring the time period to life and the hardships of "ordinary" people. I was just as interested in them as the investigation. I was totally surprised by the murderer and curious about the unsolved murder and whether it will show up again in a future book.

message 26: by Patti (new)

Patti | 96 comments guess I missed which murder was unsloved---any hints

message 27: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 819 comments Mod
Patti wrote: "guess I missed which murder was unsloved---any hints"

SPOILER if you haven't read the book!!!

Felix Paige - Sebastian has a theory but he and Hero both have doubts.