Play Book Tag discussion

New York
This topic is about New York
Archive: Other Books > New York / Edward Rutherfurd. 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LibraryCin (last edited Mar 31, 2019 11:25AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

LibraryCin | 8318 comments New York / Edward Rutherfurd
3.5 stars

TThis is a novel that follows multiple characters through 400+ years in New York City. Primarily, we follow the same family(ies) through the generations. Starting in the 17th century with a Dutch family (and we also follow African Americans, Irish, Italians…), we follow from grandparent to grandchild (for the most part) and we see the characters through colonization, slavery, the Civil War, Tammany Hall, The Triangle Factory fire, the Depression, up to and including 9/11.

I listened to the audio, and for me, audios narrated by a male voice aren’t always exciting for me; add to that, the length of this one (I also tend to have trouble with very long audios), and I was pleasantly surprised. I waffled between rating this 3 stars (ok) and 3.5 (good), as there were parts where I lost interest. I think I rated “Sarum” 3 stars, and though it was a number of years ago, I do think I preferred “New York”. In some ways, with the different characters (though all family), it felt a bit like short stories – some situations and characters I found more interesting than others. It did end on a strong (but very difficult) note with 9/11.

message 2: by Jgrace (new) - added it

Jgrace | 2811 comments I've only read one of his books. It was very long, but as you said, it was written in sections like connected short stories. It reminded me of Michener, but I did like Michener more.

message 3: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6432 comments Jgrace wrote: "I've only read one of his books. It was very long, but as you said, it was written in sections like connected short stories. It reminded me of Michener, but I did like Michener more."

Glad you said that about Michener. I love Michener so keep feeling like I should try Rutherford . . .but I think I still have some unread Michener so maybe that's a better idea!

message 4: by LibraryCin (last edited Mar 31, 2019 11:27AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

LibraryCin | 8318 comments I think I've read one by Michener, and it was a shorter one, so I can't really compare.

To be honest, I hadn't planned on reading another by Rutherfurd (but then, I wasn't really planning on reading more Michener, either!), but this one fit perfectly for a challenge at LT (History, Cities). I wouldn't rule out reading more by either, but I've not been compelled to add more to my tbr by either.

ETA: Both Rutherfurd and Michener were first read by me via the old Author Author group, way back. :-)