The Losers' Club: A Stephen King Podcast by Consequence of Sound discussion

The Gunslinger
This topic is about The Gunslinger
Dark Tower - 1 star Movie?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by One (new) - rated it 3 stars

One Flew | 2 comments Hey guys, loving the podcast. I just listened to the Dark Tower movie episode and I was surprised at how light everyone went on the the film. I thought it was a dull mess.

I understand that a movie adaptation doesn't have to be a one to one paralell to the book. The film could have taken any elements from the the books, started from the Drawing of the Three or the Wastelands, changed whole storylines or taken the plot in an entirely new direction. As long as it was good, which in my view it wasn't.

The movie crammed together seven books worth of material into an incoherent 90 minutes. Any semblence of character motivation or backstory was completely lost.

I know that people are suggesting that it's great that we eventually got a Dark Tower film and that we should be hopeful that they continue the series which will potentially get better. I hope they don't and that we all just wait patiently for a Netflix type faithful adaptation.

A good example to prove my point is the DC movie universe. Most people agree that Man of Steel was a disaster of a movie, but instead of accepting that fact DC continued with the franchise building on the flawed Man of Steel foundations. While Marvel built upon Ironman and have become a film powerhouse, while DC is still trying to make their extended universe work. What I'm trying to say is, do we want to keep building on what was at best a mediocre film or do we wait for someone to come and do it properly?

Interested to hear what the rest of you Stephen King/Dark Tower fans have to say.

message 2: by One (new) - rated it 3 stars

One Flew | 2 comments Thought I should add, I don't have any problem with the casting. Idris Elba was an inspired choice for Roland and Matthew McConaughey as the Man in Black seemed perfect. They both did the best they could with the plot they were given. And I don't think I'm the only one who disliked it, The Dark Tower has a 5.7/10 rating on IMDB and 3.4/10 on Metacritic.

Thomas Voldset | 3 comments I think the movie is good. Not great, but a nice introduction to the universe. Probably more to come, and I think the producers had that in mind. I have watched it twice (Big screen and Bluray), and enjoyed it.

Jeff Siadak | 16 comments The movie series is dead. They are moving on with an Amazon series that will ignore the movie.