Weird Fiction discussion

Pines (Wayward Pines, #1)
This topic is about Pines
2019 Book Discussion Archive > "Pines" First Impressions *No Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (last edited Mar 30, 2019 09:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan | 742 comments New Weird's first book of the month read (for April) is officially Pines by Blake Crouch. I am happy my vote wasn't needed to break a tie, so I went with my heart and voted in a losing cause for Haunted. Ah well. Maybe another month.

I'm excited about this book winning the selection because it's off the list of books I want to read more of. I looked deeper into this selection and am surprised to see that it was also a well-regarded TV series that aired recently on Fox for two seasons. I never saw an episode, but did see ads for it. I recalled thinking at the time. Cool! Looks a lot like Twin Peaks, which I'm a big fan of. Blake Crouch in an interview did admit to being directly inspired by Twin Peaks, so I'm betting we're in for a similar blend of subtle, small-town weirdness, combined with in-your-face, leaving-all-reality behind weirdness. At least I hope so.

If you're on the fence trying to figure out if Blake Crouch can write well enough to hold your interest before deciding whether or not to invest reading time in this book, there is a way to sample his writing for free. His website has an "interactive excerpt" of his latest book, Dark Matter here: http://blakecrouch.com/. Warning: reading that excerpt will probably add yet another book to your TBR pile. It did mine.

Has anyone in our group seen this series? Are you a fan of the show? This is going to be a great month of reading!

message 2: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I started on this at lunch yesterday. It's pretty good & definitely weird. Every time I start getting a handle on what I think is going on, another shoe drops & I realize that can't be right. How much is the product of a concussion?

message 3: by Dan (last edited Apr 21, 2019 08:47AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan | 742 comments Did anyone see the Wayward Pines TV series? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayward... It's not on Netflix, so I would have to expend extra cash to stream it or buy it on DVD. Trying to figure out if it's worth it. If I get the series, is it like I read the book?