Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Beta Available

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Graf (rebeccagraf) I am an avid reader with my Masters in English and Creative writing. Would love to help out as a beta reader.

message 2: by Gina (new)

Gina Karasek | 38 comments Hi Rebecca-

I would love to get some of your beta reading expertise on my latest WIP.

My blurb:
Astronaut Henry Wilson has embarked on the mission of a lifetime, expecting to come home in two years amidst accolades and fame to begin a family with his beautiful young wife, Barbara, who anxiously awaits his return. But when communications to Earth are unexpectedly broken during his experimental flight, Henry is left on his own in a battle for survival, while Barbara tries to move forward through struggles of her own. And no one is prepared at the end of Henry’s mission for the changes that have occurred while he was gone.

It's been gone over quite a few times, so spelling and grammar should be pretty clean. Looking for some opinions on how Part 2 fits with Part 1 (and with reader expectations), and lots of other things.

Please let me know if you are interested and I can email you a copy.

Thanks,
Gina

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Graf (rebeccagraf) Send it on. writingwithsuccess@gmail.com I can start it in the next day or two. Send me any other specific things you want me to look for. I'll note anything else that stands out to me in a big way.

message 4: by ChessPawn (new)

ChessPawn | 140 comments Hello Rebecca, do you like to read historical fiction at all? I am working on a manuscript taking place in WWII Warsaw, about a Polish-Jewish member of the underground army trying to save his family during the German occupation. If you think you might be in my potential target audience, I'd love your feedback!
Please send me a message or an email at AWCardiff@gmail.com
Thanks!
Ania

message 5: by Gina (new)

Gina Karasek | 38 comments Thanks Rebecca! I've sent it to your email.

message 6: by Jenni (new)

Jenni Lynn | 63 comments Rebecca wrote: "I am an avid reader with my Masters in English and Creative writing. Would love to help out as a beta reader."

I have a romantic suspense that I'd love an opinion on. If you read romance please pm me and I'd be happy to send it to you.

message 7: by Richard (new)

Richard Barry | 24 comments Hi Rebecca,
thanks for putting yourself forward. I have a 55 000 word YA fantasy -all the usual tropes but with different trajectories and less-traveled roads! I'd really appreciate some feedback on pacing and descriptions (areas I've tried to address) before I consider trying to submit the MS.
The tropes with a twist: a novice sorcerer of middling abilities complete with twisted foot and failed fashion sense, a mad mage stuck in a ferret, juvenile delinquent dragons, kick-ass princesses and an insect-like antagonist who can not be beaten.
If this sounds like something that might appeal please feel free to contact me at richarddevora@xtra.co.nz

many thanks
Richard

message 8: by Ravi (new)

Ravi  Krish (ravikrish) | 17 comments Rebecca wrote: "I am an avid reader with my Masters in English and Creative writing. Would love to help out as a beta reader."

Hi Rebecca,

I'm glad to know you are doing Beta Reading!

I have completed my Work of Literary Fiction.

'An Other Tale of Two Cities - In the Dragon's Lair,' is an epic saga of Love and Friendship (when there's true love - Triangular love among friends, can ultimate sacrifice be far behind?), exciting sports (unsporting?) rivalry and a great will to win, relentless Action and Adventure, Treachery and Politics, Culture and Family ethos, and International conflict and top class Diplomacy; with true marking of a Literary Classic!
--------------------------------------
Two talented Table Tennis players, Kula and Jay set out on their journey from a small town near Chennai (previously Madras), India to win Gold at the 'Games' at Shanghai, China, against a formidable Chinese team. Along their journey they discover true and eternal friendship with Li Ling, a member of the Chinese Table Tennis team, who joins their magical voyage, highlighted by triangular love, humour and sacrifice.
They are constantly subverted by a bitter loser, a vengeful, vicious and venemous Deng. Soon, thanks to the adversary and his Godfather, a powerful ruling elite with his own ambition to become President of China, Kula is accused of stealing Chinese National secrets and as an Indian agent. He and his Chinese girlfriend, Li are on the run to escape the police dragnet and sure gallows for both. They are chased into the Shanghai suburbs by their nemesis and a shoot-out ensues...
Do the trio survive the 'waves of attack' of the persistent Deng?
‘Meet the dragon’, they did!!! But, beat the dragon, did they??? Be there ‘to watch from the front row’ each of their fights for possible Gold at the 'Games' at Shanghai!
Does Lt. Gen. Ping save the Chinese President from impeachment and an attempted coup?
Someone commented earlier, ‘Kula’s love will not get consummated’! Does the prophesy (or curse!) come true?
And who wins Kula eventually? Jay or Li? And how?

'An Other Tale of Two Cities - In the Dragon's Lair,' is an intense, exciting Romantic-Adventure-Action, bordering on the Literary, offering a heart whelming, mind challenging action packed roller-coaster ride between Chennai and Shanghai, told eloquently.

---------------------------

If 'Literary Fiction' interests you, I would like to offer the same for your Beta Reading. I would love to have your valued comments and evaluation, which should help me to decide if the work is ready to offer for publication. I have done several improvements and edits over the last 2 years, since the novel has been completed. So I expect the book to have fewer grammatical errors, but may bear the effects of cut/copy/paste mishaps.

I can understand that you have just committed your time for another author. I can wait till you finish with the same and when you are ready to take up my work.

Looking forward to your confirmation.

Best Regards,
Ravi Krish
Author,
An Other Tale of Two Cities - In the Dragon's LAir'

message 9: by Gen (new)

Gen Ramsay | 3 comments Hi Rebecca,
I have a fantasy fiction with fairy tale elements mixed in. Only 30000 words at present would love a beta read. I don't mind a bit of romance is you would like to swap.

gen_ramsay@hotmail.com

message 10: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Graf (rebeccagraf) Richard wrote: "Hi Rebecca,
thanks for putting yourself forward. I have a 55 000 word YA fantasy -all the usual tropes but with different trajectories and less-traveled roads! I'd really appreciate some feedback o..."

I'm interested. If you don't need it quickly, you can send it to me and I'll start within the next week or two. - send to writingwithsuccess@gmail.com

message 11: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Voigtlander | 6 comments Hey there!
I’ve written a roughly 68,000 word YA fiction novel, the first in a series I’ve been working on for a number of years but am finally getting ready to publish.
I’m trying to find more beta readers to give me their opinion on my story and characters and would love yours as an English teacher, which many of my friends have suggested I have look at my book.

It’s a story about the decisions we make in life and how things change as time goes on and the drastic effects of childhood trauma and how it follows you into adulthood and other such themes including relationships in family, friendships, and love, and also (though further on in the series) depression, death, and obsession.

Please let me know if you’re interested! ^^

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Graf (rebeccagraf) Hannah wrote: "Hey there!
I’ve written a roughly 68,000 word YA fiction novel, the first in a series I’ve been working on for a number of years but am finally getting ready to publish.
I’m trying to find more bet..."

I would be willing to read this in the next few weeks. Send to writingwithsuccess@gmail.com

message 13: by David (new)

David Wilson | 95 comments Hi Rebecca, I hope you aren't too swamped with requests. I have an YA historical fantasy 85K long.

1511. Two young friends of a tiny race, Frother and Horrock, watch humans fight for the dominance of Malacca, the trading city of the east. Soon they will be separated; Frother going to a faraway prestigious school and Horrock going on a one way voyage somewhere to the unknown south. This is the tale of Frother as he spends many years attempting to find his friend. From Malacca to Europe to the southern ocean, amongst searching for human’s maps, swordplay, fighting his King’s enemies, being shipwrecked, and with the help of birds, will he ever find his friend?

If you can fit it in I would love you to beta read it. I'm happy to wait.

David.

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Graf (rebeccagraf) David wrote: "Hi Rebecca, I hope you aren't too swamped with requests. I have an YA historical fantasy 85K long.

1511. Two young friends of a tiny race, Frother and Horrock, watch humans fight for the dominance..."

I would be glad to. Email to writingwithsuccess@gmail.com

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello Rebecca!

If you're still taking requests and are interested would you mind checking out my story? It is an Urban Fantasy novel at about 67k words long. I would say it is for an age range from later teens to older. No erotica but some references to things.

The story revolves a senior in high school that after having his heart broken, discovers that Magi (Wizards) are real and that he himself is one such Magi. This newfound power gives him a purpose that he was striving for but after disaster strikes, he must flee in search of somewhere that he can live safely. All while a dark threat looms over the world.

If you'd be interested that would be wonderful! I hope you've been having a good day.

-Jake

message 16: by Kat (new)

Kat Devitt (kat_devitt_author) | 101 comments Hey Rebecca,

I'm seeking beta readers for a historical fiction short story that comes in at 2,131 words. It's set in the late fourteenth century and follows an unhappily in love bell ringer. It's appropriately titled, "The Bell Ringer's Story."

If you're interested, please contact me at katdevittauthor@gmail.com.

Best,
Kat Devitt

message 17: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 27 comments Rebecca wrote: "I am an avid reader with my Masters in English and Creative writing. Would love to help out as a beta reader."

I am looking for a Beta Reader for a 85,000 word novel based roughly on my life. Grew up in orphanage went Army, several deployments, while my love interest moved on. We reconnected after I got out. It also includes a serial killer and detective. Several deaths in the family, a girl who was missing for 20 years before her body was found. It is written from several different perspectives that are wound together in the end. Just want an overall idea of how this works. Would appreciate any help.

Matt
reader64@yahoo.com

message 18: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Partin | 8 comments Hi Rebecca,
I’m looking for someone to read my YA fantasy novel that’s a little under 93k words. Here’s the blurb:

Amelia Keen never thought about her future. She always saw herself working at her aunt and uncle’s ranch for the rest of her life. But when she stumbles across a magic sword that gives her the power to talk to animals, everything changes. She can pick fights with bullies and win. Her best friend starts to come up with ideas of how to put her in the spotlight and make a new superhero reality star. But the strangest change of all is a mysterious wolf that follows her and tells her that her destiny might now be more than what she bargained for. And when her family is kidnapped by a man with the intent to do her harm, it’s up to Amie to get them back. But something wild stirs within her, something that scares even her. The closer she gets to her foe, the more obvious it becomes that she must make a choice: to fight for her humanity or succumb to the call of the beast.

Let me know if you’re interested and have time to take a look at it.
Sincerely,
Also Rebecca.

message 19: by Mary (new)

Mary Elizabeth Hughes Hi Rebecca, I'm hoping to find a beta reader for my historical fiction piece called, "Imagining Violet Married". This is Part Two of a trilogy. Imagining Violet was published last November and has had some excellent reviews. Part Two follows Violet's story as a young English bride in 1898, moving to Toronto with her Canadian husband, an aspiring pianist. It's domestic drama and clean and incredibly well researched. Her life with her in-laws, pregnancy and motherhood are the topics set in the context of Toronto's development as a centre for music. And it's told in the letters she writes to her Mum and various friends. A gentle, old-fashioned tale.

message 20: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Keast (christopher_keast) | 18 comments Hi Rebecca,

Would you be interested in beta reading my 90K-word sci-fi dystopia novel?

A little about my story:
In the not-so distant future, as the digital world’s freight-train steam rolls right into its inevitable threshold of physical data storage limits, strange things begin to happen. At the same time, Kicis and Anna are each at a philosophical crossroads of sorts. For Kicis, his knowledge of history cannot yet help him decipher what the future holds regarding the limits of humans’ Earthly data aggregation and smartphone obsessions – including his own. For Anna, it’s what to do next with her life after a major career change from law to photography, followed by a provocating breakup with her former lover. The two of them collide into one another under most inauspicious circumstances: the world’s most reveled structural human artifacts begin mysteriously disappearing. As the rest of the world tries to find the meaning and reasons behind it, the two of them become transfixed on this new problem, trying to solve the final riddle plaguing humanity. Despite world leaders outlawing such detective work, someone needs to figure it out, as global worries peak. Has a tipping point been reached within the bounds of Earth’s physical constraints? Or is it simply the beginning of the Datapocalypse?

Please let me know if this is of interest. I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

message 21: by Evette (new)

Evette | 43 comments I have a 90k YA coming of age story #OWN if you are interested taking place in early 2000s . Shortly It's about a girl going through the adjustments of high school at her church's Christian academy as a freshman. She had a terrible time in middle school with toxic friendships and wants to make better ones. She makes new friends but find her friendships dissatisfying and the boy she likes does not like her. She questions religion and her relationship with God.

If you need more info, please let me know. I'd appreciate a beta read.

message 22: by Panagiotis (new)

Panagiotis (Petoi Lin) Karanasios | 7 comments Hello Rebecca,

I've written a fantasy book around 130k words that follows a girl, who after the sudden death of her mother, learns that her father is alive and seeks out to find him along with her two friends. The story takes a lot more dimensions and I don't want to spoil it but the protagonist learns shocking truths about her mother as well as the world around her.

*The world is also predominantly vegetarian, though as such it's not a major topic.

If you are interested, contact my email at: petoilin18@gmail.com

message 23: by Audresonmichael (new)

Audresonmichael | 4 comments Hi, Rebecca. Would you read the 1st 3 chapters of Somebody Walked Over My Grave? It is a supernatural adventure about an out-of-body experience which goes wrong; in 80,000 words, 60 chapters of between 1300 and 1400 words each. If you like the opening, I'd be grateful if you read the rest.

message 24: by R.M. (new)

R.M. Tafari | 62 comments Hi,
I have a short story I’d like you to beta read and proofread if possible. A Caribbean gangster story. Let me know if interested arengatang1@hotmail.com
Thanks so much for your time.

message 25: by Michael (last edited May 15, 2019 04:40PM) (new)

Michael Kelly (mkelly53) | 7 comments Hi Rebecca, I have written two coming of age prequels, Chosen One and Sodalitas that will be free giveaways showing the early lives of the main characters in my novel Last Deadly Hour, a conspiracy thriller. Both prequels and the Novel are completed and Chosen One is ready for Beta Readers. I'm still doing proofreading on Sodalitas and Last Deadly Hour. I am posting the blurb for Last Deadly Hour so you can see what the prequels lead to.

Last Deadly Hour Blurb
Okabu, a former member of an African tribe and currently an Oxford trained criminologist suffers from a bout of amnesia, which brings him into conflict with Sodalitas, a 2000-year-old secret society, born out of the ashes of Rome’s great fire and Emperor Nero’s Praetorian Guard. Sodalitas’ existence is based on the destruction of Christianity and the eradication of God, Jesus Christ, and the Bible from human thought .

While investigating the circumstances behind his amnesia, he uncovers a plot by Sodalitas to steal controversial and cutting edge technology that can record the last 24 hours of a person's visual memory, which is about to be used on a 2000 year old frozen mummy found in a glacier in Turkey. The mummy is believed to be one of the thieves crucified with Jesus Christ.

Chosen One, is ready for beta reading.
Blurb: Under cover of darkness on the eve of the birth of the Chosen One, an ancient tribal artifact goes missing. Nanaku, the Chosen one’s father and leader of a secluded tribe buried deep in the Congo learns of his brother’s treachery and his plan to sell the artifact. An ancient promise kept the artifact protected for millennium. With the birth of Okabu, it is time for it to be returned to its rightful owners.

As Okabu learns of his destiny, he works to prove himself worthy. As a young man, he encounters members of an ancient secret society whose mission is to destroy or steal all artifacts that can be linked to proving the existence of God. He escapes their grip believing he will confront them in battle again.

Chosen one is 17k words. I can break it up and send 3 chapters at a time or the whole book.

If you're interested, please let me know how you want it sent to you. My email is mkellyauthor@gmail.com

Thanks, Rebecca.

message 26: by PaulBentham (new)

PaulBentham | 25 comments Hi Rebecca,
do you have any free time at the moment?I am working on a sci -fi piece of flash fiction.

synopsis.

Maverick alien bounty hunter Agent G12,goes to an uncharted planet to locate a rogue fellow agent.On arrival he is paired with a by the book cop,and faced with a terrorist who is hell bent on the planets destruction.
Let me know if you are interested cheers Paul

message 27: by M (new)

M Knightium | 8 comments Hey, um, are you still open to beta reading stories? I have three short stories that could use some improvement and touching up on.

message 28: by Keith A LaHue (new)

Keith A LaHue Hey Rebecca, I have a 94K word Sci-Fi novel I'd love some feedback on. You look swamped, let me know if you're interested. It's a time-travel novel.

message 29: by Monique (new)

Monique Bird | 1 comments Would you have time in about a month to beta read a cozy mystery? My goal is 55,000-60,000 words and it will be a book 1 in a series. I'm close to finishing but would like some time to give it a once over.
A small blurb:
Claire Anderson is a 7th grade science teacher who stumbles across a dead body on a night jog. Fairview, Colorado is no longer the friendly little town that she grew up in. Claire gets sucked into the mystery when an old student is unreachable after sending her a cryptic email.

What I'm looking for are slow spots, plot holes, area's that don't flow or you have to read twice to understand. Since you were an English teacher, f you see any grammar mistakes I keep making I'd appreciate that advice as well!
Let me know if it sounds like something you'd enjoy reading.
Thank you,
Monique

message 30: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Sevov | 81 comments Hi Rebecca,
I have a 97K YA Fantasy and Science Fiction novel that doesn't shy away from the dark realities of life. At first it may seem as a military sci-fi but at heart it is epic fantasy. A story of war, vengeance and family drama. I would like you to comment on world building, characters, their development, plot and give me an overall opinion on the story. If you are interested please reach me at ssevov17@yahoo.com or comment below.
Best of wishes!

message 31: by Richard (new)

Richard Marcott | 11 comments Anna wrote: "Hi Rebecca. Are you interested in reading a 7.5 k words story set in the 1950s? (The prologue is set in the 40s though)

It is mainly set in Havana, Cuba, and it is about gambling, ob, corruption a..."

Monique wrote: "Would you have time in about a month to beta read a cozy mystery? My goal is 55,000-60,000 words and it will be a book 1 in a series. I'm close to finishing but would like some time to give it a on..."

Hi Anna. I know you asked Rebecca directly, but couldn't help express my willingness to look at a short piece. I was in Havana when Castro was in the hills and visited the Tropicana Night Club in 1957. Grew up in the 4o's etc. If you're interested in my beta of your 7.5K piece send it to rjmarcott@atlanticbb.net. I've also done some writing Memoir: The View From the Rigging: Memoir of a Coast Guard Career, and I've just finished a novel (still looking for publisher). The View has a chapter on visit to Havana.

message 32: by Jodye (new)

Jodye (rajuncajun) | 1 comments Hi there! Avid reader of several different genres, with romance (YA, NA, any kind really), paranormal, and mystery as some of my favorites. I'm the one my friends and co-workers are always asking about what new books they should read, because they know how much I love to read. If you'd like me to Beta read for you, contact me at jkasher@satx.rr.com. I can also help you with proofing if you're interested.

message 33: by J.P. (new)

J.P. Choquette (jpchoquette) | 2 comments Jodye wrote: "Hi there! Avid reader of several different genres, with romance (YA, NA, any kind really), paranormal, and mystery as some of my favorites. I'm the one my friends and co-workers are always asking a..."

Just emailed you, Jodye. :)

message 34: by Ali (new)

Ali Benice | 116 comments Hi Rebecca! I, like so many others here, am in desperate need for my satirical contemporary YA novel.

It tells the dark but comedic story of Joe, an underachiever young lad, and his great great great grandfather's ghost who comes to his visit for one weekend. It takes place in the 2080, at a time when global warming, pollution, and human-caused naturaldisasters have wrecked the modern world, yet the consumers' culture is still intact. The ghost, referred to as sepia man, tries to get a grip on the new technology, fashion, unsanitary living conditions, lack of clean air and water, and above all, how people can still live their lives as if everything is normal under such circumstances throughout the story.
The world has gone through a natural cataclysm, and is ruled by a capitalistic dystopia. Old skyscrapers are more than halfway below the poisonous, risen, zombie fish lurking seawater, and the sun rays are scorching. It’s impossible to walk on the quays that make the streets outside without wearing portable tents.
Joe and sepia man get mocked, are lectured, and have the worst time of their lives and deaths throughout the tragically comedic story. The ghost questions Joe and his family about wars waged, and mass murdering atomic bombs. They talk about the past, books, and love.
The story is a contemporary one, mixed with single drops of sci-fi and fantasy: The future, and a ghost. It is 65,900(ish) words, and is meant to be the first part of a five book series. I believe it is somehow similar in tone to Douglas Adam’s "A Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy" series (with its “pessimistic on a healthy dose” sense of humor), and Antoine de Saint-Exupery’s "The Little Prince"
Best regards,

Ali Benice

message 35: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabethreedbooks) | 2 comments Rebecca wrote: "I am an avid reader with my Masters in English and Creative writing. Would love to help out as a beta reader."

Hi Rebecca,

I have a YA Dystopian novel complete at 93k words. Please let me know if you would be interested in beta reading it or putting it in your queue.

Thank you!

message 36: by Ali (new)

Ali Benice | 116 comments Hello Rebecca, 

I am Ali Benice, a writer, illustrator and translator from Turkey. I wish to share my 65,900 word contemporary YA MC "A aweekend Trip from the Afterlife" with you, hoping you consider doing some beta reading for me. I've seen your post, it's so hard finding an English beta reader where I am from.

My novel tells the dark but comedic story of Joe, an underachiever young lad, and his great great great grandfather's ghost who comes to his visit for one weekend. It takes place in the 2080, at a time when global warming, pollution, and human-caused naturaldisasters have wrecked the modern world, yet the consumers' culture is still intact. The ghost, referred to as sepia man, tries to get a grip on the new technology, fashion, unsanitary living conditions, lack of clean air and water, and above all, how people can stilllive their lives as if everything is normal under such circumstances throughout the story.

The world has gone through a natural cataclysm, and is ruled by a capitalistic dystopia. Old skyscrapers are more than halfway below the poisonous, risen, zombie fish lurking seawater, and the sun rays are scorching. It’s impossible to walk on the quays that make the streets outside without wearing portable tents.

Joe and sepia man get mocked, are lectured, and have the worst time of their lives and deaths throughout the tragically comedic story. The ghost questions Joe and his family about wars waged, and mass murdering atomic bombs. They talk about the past, books, andlove.

The story is a contemporary one, mixed with single drops of sci-fi and fantasy: The future, and a ghost. It is 65,900(ish) words, and is meant to be the first part of a five book series. I believe it is somehow similar in tone to Douglas Adam’s "A Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy" series (with its “pessimistic on a healthy dose” sense of humor), and Antoine de Saint-Exupery’s "The Little Prince"

Cordially,

Ali Benice

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Rebecca,
You look pretty popular, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I've got a professionally edited creative nonfiction novel and I'd like some pre-publishing feedback. It's 83,000 words. I would be happy to pay what seems to be the going rate for beta readers.

Below is a blurb/description. Thanks for your considering reading my book. If you are interested, you can reach me here by PM or at MauraMuirCreepingFig@gmail.com.

An average mom’s normal life is turned into a complete chaos with a sudden act of violence. Her husband has been keeping a secret for more than two decades and her counselor is a lurking psychopath on a mission. She and her daughter were just collateral damage at first. But, her husband and therapist become her worst adversaries when she files a therapy malpractice suit. Her quest for truth and justice becomes a series of disasters, deceptions and disillusion. One person with a conscience comes forward to reveal the truths she would never have imagined. Everything she’d thought she knew changed. When her divorce lawyer tries to steal her house, it seems it’s peaked. But, when the therapist threatens to kill a witness, it rises to another level of bizarre and terrifying. Of the twenty-five lawyers, only one is totally trustworthy. Fortunately, it was the last one. After four years of fighting five different lawsuits, she finally succeeds.

message 38: by Erin (new)

Erin Kahn | 6 comments Hi Rebecca,

I'm looking for beta readers for my YA novel, Time and Tide (58K), which features Louisa May Alcott, Henry David Thoreau, and Nathaniel Hawthorne as young adults having adventures in 1800s Concord, Massachusetts. Let me know if you're interested!

Erin

message 39: by Sanne (new)

Sanne Vermorgen | 4 comments Hi Rebecca,

I'm looking for beta readers for five chapters of my finished manuscript.
It contains a gay romance, a lot of drama and intrigue.
Some scenes are rather explicit and others contain paedophilia triggers.
Though none of this will be encountered in the first chapters.

Here's the blurb:

Scar tissue.

Kevin has made it. He's living the life he's always dreamed of. Youngest ever to be appointed high judge, married to his beautiful high school sweetheart and father of two.
Yet, when the past comes knocking at his door, begging for his help, Kevin barely hesitates. Confronted by painful memories and hunted by a faceless elite group with its own reasons to leave the past buried, Kevin risks losing it all to discover the true meaning of justice. Of love. Of family.

Burned by love and frozen by brutality, two men stand to face their
scar tissue.

message 40: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Hinds (avidreader86) | 13 comments My name is J.L. And I am a new unpublished author and I have posted the first chapter of my book on Wattpad. I am looking for people to read, comment, and vote on my book. I go by the name J.L. Hinds or JennLee05. My book is called The One.

message 41: by Klarika (new)

Klarika Hume | 2 comments Hello Rebecca,
I am looking for beta readers for my middle grade adventure/survival novel at 43k words. It involves two kids who must survive a trek through a wildlife park. I was wondering if you might be interested?

If so, please email me at klarika.hume@gmail.com

Thank you for your time!
Klarika

message 42: by Shayla (new)

Shayla  Faye | 10 comments Hello,
I would love to send you my manuscript. Here’s my book back.

"I have to survive. I need to survive. If not for myself, then for my family. For my friends. For him."

There are two types of humans in this world: Normals and the new breed of humans, the Abnormals. The 2000s has been riddled with war and radiation. This is what brought the Abnormals into existence. They have rainbow colored hair and eyes. Dahlia Faye is one of these Abnormals, with purple hair. Now that the 3000s are here, the sky is yellow instead of blue. Water is cloudy. The world is war-torn and in ruins. Genocide is on the minds of the Normals now, and they need a scapegoat. They took Abnormals from their home and relocated them to ghettos. They shoved them in and out of concentration camps and murder them. How will Dahlia Faye survive, overcome her past, and find her future.

message 43: by Angel (new)

Angel (angelbc) | 3 comments Hello Rebecca,

Are you available for a fun, light-read memoir, self-help book? It is a true story of a personal assistant to millionaires and billionaires who observes their subconscious behaviors for 14 years.
She shares her findings and synthesizes them into simple-to-follow practices for others to make life more productive.

Would love to have your input!
Thank you,
my email is angelinabmail@gmail.com

message 44: by N.L. (new)

N.L. LaFoille (nllafoille) | 13 comments Hi Rebecca,

If you're still open to beta reading, I'd like to offer my 65k-word contemporary romance, set in the idyllic Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Here's a blurb:

After her life of hard partying in Chicago imploded, Jean Quincy just wanted to make quilts and pickles in the Upper Peninsula and die an old lady surrounded by dogs. Earning a blue ribbon at the Fair and running a Bed & Breakfast out of the cabin next door would complete her dream of quaintness.

Until an unfairly attractive man-shaped complication snags the cabin before she can buy it.

Ellis Harding and his sexy grin are a threat to Jean’s simple life, so she vows to hate him. But his 10-year-old nephew is too sweet for words. In spite of her dedication to live the spinster dream, she slides into a friendship with her neighbors that comes with all sorts of complications: a destructive sister-in-law, a meddling Quilt Club, an ailing mentor and a risky chance at love.

message 45: by Clack (new)

Clack | 7 comments Hi, Rebecca. thank you for offering a beta reading service.

The working title of my novel is bit (lower case), a contemporary realistic tale of a young man who is trying and failing to navigate the rapidly changing "new economy" of technology, robots and artificial intelligence. Jack Lack finds himself continually being displaced in the job market by things seen and unseen. He is also trying and mostly failing to navigate his own love life or lack thereof. His work life ends in near tragedy in a way that ironically lends hope to his love life. My interest is in trying to address a serious and growing issue of the effect of technology on job markets while having a few laughs along the way. It clocks in at a relatively short 24k words. I would sincerely appreciate your feedback.

message 46: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Marsh (ekmarsh) | 22 comments Rebecca, I would love to get your feedback on my MS, finished at 95,000 words. King of the Buckaroo Boys is the second book in a series featuring protagonist Charlie King (the first book, King of Hollywood, is unavailable for reading due to ongoing rewrites). Here's the blurb:

Grinding out serial Westerns and cut rate gangster films in late 1930s Hollywood, Clarion Pictures is a studio not quite on Poverty Row, but definitely in an adjacent neighborhood. When a cache of jewelry and cash goes missing from Clarion’s safe, studio boss Cornelius Klinker calls on his nephew, bit actor Charlie King, to investigate. In spite of being a devotee of hard-boiled crime fiction, Charlie is reluctant to play detective himself…until his uncle dangles a prime role under his nose and Charlie finds himself knee deep in the search for the culprit.

It’s a mystery that would challenge even his PI heroes, but then Sam Spade probably never had to contend with the loopy assortment of friends and family that distract Charlie from his investigation. Whether he’s trying to shield his beloved mother from the advances of a shady German industrialist, reunite a pair of broken hearted friends, or protect his naïve cousin from a conniving platinum blonde, there’s no lack of complications to frustrate and bewilder the good-hearted Charlie. Throw in a child star with a penchant for mayhem, an obsessive, lovesick dog and the unwanted attentions of a sexpot starlet, and it’s no wonder that Charlie finds it so difficult to focus on the case at hand. With his uncle’s deadline looming and scant clues to be had, can Charlie recover the stolen loot and nab the breakthrough role he’s been waiting for?

Just looking for general feedback, and especially notes on structure. If you're interested, shoot me an email and I'll send you the MS.

message 47: by M.C. (new)

M.C. Winkkle (mcwinkkle_book_author) | 4 comments Hi Rebecca,
I would really use your feedback in my sci-fi novel. It’s 95k words long.
Here’s my synopsis:
Time is up.
It’s 2046 and the agreement falls due.
War has started.
With Africa, Asia and South America invaded and no news from Europe or Australia, the United States is the last human bastion and the survival of the human race is on them.
In this context, Stella, a sixteen-year-old girl with a particular physical appearance, is kidnapped by the CIA and discovers she has psych abilities that resemble the aliens’.
She is blackmailed and forced to fight for humans in the war.
However, after training those abilities, she will become way more powerful than any one could have imagined.
Seventeen years in retrospective, in Allentown, a little town in the State of New Jersey, people claim to have seen UFOs and an eighteen-year-old girl goes missing. However, police research isn’t put to practice because her father can’t seem to remember having had a daughter.
A couple months afterward, the CIA detected alterations in the magnetic field that sixteen years later led them to Stella.

Please let me know if you’d be interested!

message 48: by J. (new)

J. Marie (goodreadscomjmarielitink) | 3 comments Hi Rebecca,

I'm currently working on the final edits for my 68k manuscript. It's a contemporary romance releasing mid to late October. I would love to find a beta who can help me to establish what does and doesn't make sense in the novel. I've put months of work into it and it has a lot of editing.

Reach out to me if you're interested!
Here's the blurb:

The plan was simple. The results are anything but...

I’ve lost too much to even think about opening my heart to anyone again. Grief consumed my life, and all I wanted was to be left alone so I could drown my sorrows while trying to find a sliver of relief at the bottom of a bottle.

But my father saw right through me, throwing me a curveball I never saw coming. Go back to working at our family’s law firm, or take a wife. If I don’t, I can kiss my inheritance goodbye.

Luckily, I have another card up my sleeve—and her name is Macy. She’s shy, sweet, with curves in all the right places. She’s also the perfect solution to my problem if I can convince her that what I’m proposing will end up benefiting us both.

It’s easy. She needs money, and I need a wife. It’s a win-win situation.

The way I see it, it’s just another business transaction. No commitment. No strings. Zero complications.

What could possibly go wrong?

*This is a Stand-Alone Novel with No Cliffhangers, and a guaranteed HEA. This book may have emotional triggers, read at your discretion.*

Thank you for your time!
J

message 49: by Aviv (new)

Aviv Shener (ashener) | 19 comments Hello.
I have a book I'd written titled "Down the Rabbit Hole". (116K words). It's dark, and there's violence.

The synopsis:

Matt Evans made a series of bad decisions that left him broke and in debt to Jeff Holden. When Jeff comes in the middle of the night, demanding back his loan, he brings along an alternative offer.
Matt is to help an ambitious scientist to move ahead with his work, the same work that got him fired years ago. Jeff makes it clear there’s no other option, unless Matt considers ending up six feet under an option. Matt is forced to face madness in ways he never knew existed, while trying to hold on to normality for as long as possible. To make things worse, Jeff hires a local cop, one with a personal grudge, to make sure Matt would keep his part of the bargain, regardless of the cost.
When reality gradually turns into hell, Matt realizes there’s nothing left to lose. He escapes and goes into hiding, believing he’ll be able to start fresh where nobody knows who he is and what he’d been through. Surrounded by people who helps bring stability into his life, Matt is unable to shake the events of his past and the toil they took.
What was supposed to be a chance to start a new life, turns out to be a fatal mistake. The replications spark a chain of events that pushes Matt deeper into chaos, and down the rabbit hole.

Thank you,
Aviv,

message 50: by Molly (new)

Molly Stegall (mollystegall) | 168 comments Hello, I have recently finished my Fantasy book: Ashes of Revenge (107,410 words). I would describe this as a YA Fantasy book and would love to have a Beta Reader(s) read and review it! If you would only be willing/able to do a chapter or two that is fine as well!
Thank you!

In the land of Fantacia, there are five Kingdoms that rule over all, each having its own species: Farian, Monstro, Mundus, Shifter, and Telik. The Kingdom's are constantly at odds and have been on the brink of war for years.

Hoping to take advantage of the Kingdom's disheveled state is Raven, a Mundus that has three-fourths of her body burned. Richard, a Farian with wings as dark as the night and an unmatched skillset with a sword. Colt, a Shifter with two different colored eyes who escaped the Shifter Kingdom and has unmatched fighting skills.

The small group wishes nothing more than to take over the Kingdom's and claim the thrones for themselves. However, one day Raven runs into the entity of Death, and he forces them to derail their plan and follow his, unknown to Richard and Colt. Raven has to go to the Kingdom that she never wanted to see again, the Mundus Kingdom. There, the group's secrets and pasts begin to slowly rise to the surface, threatning their plans. Raven is forced to do as Death says, which begins to take a physical and mental toll on Raven. However, they still have one goal - revenge.

Please PM me :)

« previous 1