2022 Reading Challenge discussion

The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)
This topic is about The Final Empire
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2019 > The Final Empire (Mistborn #1)

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ilona | 3984 comments I am looking forward to reading this series with you all!

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 613 comments Ilona wrote: "I am looking forward to reading this series with you all!"

Me too! I had never read any adult-intended Sanderson books other than his Wheel of Time finishers, only his Alcatraz series and The Rithmatist, and in preparation for launching into his oeuvre here, I read Elantris last month. It was not great! I was surprised and disappointed. I retain faith that the rest of his books are better, though, so fully expect to enjoy this series tremendously.

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 422 comments I've also been looking forward to this - and I've already dug the book from the shelves to be ready for tomorrow.

It's my first Sanderson ever - and I'm slightly worried I'm in for another George R. R. Martin - like disappointment because Sanderson also is sooooo hyped... ^^'

message 4: by oshizu, Challenges (new) - rated it 3 stars

oshizu | 5088 comments Haha, I started reading Elantris about a week ago and it broke my 2019 reading sprint.
Hope I can get back on the wagon!
I'm a big fan of Robin Hobb but this (and semi-finished Elantris) are my first acquaintance with this author.

Looking forward to exchanging thoughts with you all!

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 422 comments So, quick first impression:

I'm getting horrible Drizzt Do'urden flashbacks from the 1st person commentaries prefacing the chapters... ^^' I hope they won't be getting to the same level of whining and self-pity that drow used to enjoy.
(Just in case everybody else is too young to know what I'm talking about: see R. A. Salvatore, The Legend of Drizzt/The Darkf Elf Trilogy; see also Forgotten Realms D&D. ;-) )

message 6: by Tawnie Rose (last edited Apr 02, 2019 07:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tawnie Rose | 175 comments So I had the ebook for a bit in March and got to 43% - loving it! But my hold ran out and I have to wait for the physical book to finish.. I'm in second spot.. hopefully I get it soon so I can finish on time with everyone!

This is my first book by Brandon Sanderson and I do believe I will be reading much more of them in addition to this Mistborn series. This Allomancy thing is pretty cool. Tho personally I don't think I would be able to do what Vin and Kelsier (I can't remember how they spelled his name) can do.

Reading the Goodreads page..
In Brandon Sanderson's intriguing tale of love, loss, despair and hope,
-- are they talking romantic love? This far in and I haven't really seen anything about love yet. Her lack of family or finding this new 'family' who care for her?

(view spoiler)

Looking forward to hearing everyones thoughts.

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 613 comments Auntie Terror wrote: "So, quick first impression:

I'm getting horrible Drizzt Do'urden flashbacks from the 1st person commentaries prefacing the chapters... ^^' I hope they won't be getting to the same level of whining..."

Haha. I am recently versed with Drizzt's constant whinging and can't stand those 'journal' entries either. They weren't part of the original trilogy with Drizzt but were added in later when Salvatore started putting them in later books. I made sure to get early editions of those books because they are much better without that dross.

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 613 comments Guys, I started!

I'm only on page 6, but based on this and Elantris, Sanderson seems to have a thing for crafting social/class/nobility systems. Clearly this whole skaa slavery thing is itching for an upending.

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 422 comments Marc wrote: "Auntie Terror wrote: "So, quick first impression:

I'm getting horrible Drizzt Do'urden flashbacks from the 1st person commentaries prefacing the chapters... ^^' I hope they won't be getting to the..."

Oh, I never knew there was a way around those. I read them years and years ago, mostly borrowing from friends, and they only had the, as I now know, newer edition. Gosh, I might actually have not come to hate the little git as much as I do now... ^^

Back on topic:
I got my first "shivering with disgust" moment at the image of the Steel Inquisitor (view spoiler). I have a very vivid imagination when it comes to horrible images; and that one gave me something for future nightmares of the Giger-variety. Thanks a bunch, Mr Sanderson. ;-P

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 613 comments I'm about half-way done. I need to look up why they changed the title from 'Mistborn' to the subtitle "The Final Empire" as the primary title. I have an older paperback with the original title on the cover. It's a perfectly good fantasy title, I don't think "The Final Empire" has as much appeal as "Mistborn".

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 613 comments So I'm like 70 pages to the end, and (view spoiler). Huh.

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 613 comments Finished! All in all, pretty damn good. Definitely much improved from Elantris, in terms of character depth (for some characters anyway), and elements of the conclusion earning their place. I have several reservations but will hold onto those until more people get a chance to finish the book.

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments I’m on chapter 6 or 7 seems pretty good so far

message 14: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ilona | 3984 comments I just finished part 1 (chapter 8). I am not super impressed yet, but it is enjoyable.

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 613 comments Ilona wrote: "I just finished part 1 (chapter 8). I am not super impressed yet, but it is enjoyable."
I felt the same. I have heard that a lot of Sanderson's books take a while to heat up and save all the really good stuff for the end.

message 16: by Auntie Terror (last edited Apr 10, 2019 01:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 422 comments Ilona wrote: "I just finished part 1 (chapter 8). I am not super impressed yet, but it is enjoyable."

Thank goodness, it's not just me... x-D
I'm one chapter behind you, and this exactly is how I feel Otherwise ten days of reading would have gotten me further than 1/5th of a book.

On a side note: I'm curious to find out whether there are going to be any adult female leads in or around Kelsier's all boys club...

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 613 comments So... how is everyone's progress with this book?

message 18: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ilona | 3984 comments Less than 100 pages to go and I am soo curious to see how this will end! I think I can say that my opinion changed quite a bit :P
I will post some more thoughts once I finish the book.

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 613 comments If anyone is interested, I posted my review of Mistborn: The Final Empire here. It is spoiler-free.

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 422 comments 50% done, so almost "on time" - and finally captured by the story. I still don't care for Kelsier much, but I like Vin and her development. (view spoiler)My favourite character is Sazed, though.

All in all, I'm convinced I'll read some more Sanderson at some point. But I'm not yet sure whether I'll continue next month right away. The last half of the book will decide that now. ;-)

message 21: by oshizu, Challenges (last edited Apr 17, 2019 12:15PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

oshizu | 5088 comments Wow, everyone's made so much progress already. And Marc, I noticed that you finished the book last week.
Sadly, I got bogged down with another Buddy Read book which I couldn't bring myself to read for daaaaaayyyyyyyssss and now I haven't even started Mistborn yet.
Gah, I'm so behind.

In response to comments about needing time to "get into" the book, it took me forever to finish Sanderson's Elantris as well. Nine days for the first 40 pages, then I finished the remaining 500+ pages in two days (through sheer determination, lol).

@Marc
Regarding the presence/absence of "The Final Empire" subtitle, my edition only has the Mistborn title as well.
Apparently, TOR's 2006 hardcover and its iterations have Mistborn: The Final Empire. But the 2007 Mass Market PB edition (which I own) has only Mistborn on its cover.

Haha, look at me posting in the discussion when I haven't even started reading yet. Soon, soon!

message 22: by Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (last edited Apr 17, 2019 12:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 613 comments I've got to stop reading these buddy reads so quickly, clearly.

I think I get the title quasi-change; I think Sanderson always intended for the book title to be "The Final Empire" and the series to be "Mistborn", but the publisher chose to use the series title as the book title at that early point. As Sanderson build more clout, later editions instead used his preferred title. This is some speculation, but Sanderson has emphasized his intent for the title "The Final Empire" in his blog posts.

message 23: by oshizu, Challenges (new) - rated it 3 stars

oshizu | 5088 comments By the way, I used The Coppermind website's Elantris Glossary while reading Elantris last month.
It also offers a Mistborn Glossary so I've pasted the link below. Cheers!

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Mistborn/...

message 24: by oshizu, Challenges (last edited Apr 17, 2019 02:54PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

oshizu | 5088 comments Marc wrote: "I've got to stop reading these buddy reads so quickly, clearly."

@Marc
Personally, I prefer to not let Buddy Read books dangle too far into the month. I read so hard up to mid-March that I'm now slightly suffering from motivation issues, hehe.
When I saw that you'd already finished reading The Final Empire days ago, I confess that I experienced a pang of envy! Lol.
Oh, and another one today when Ilona posted her Mistborn review!

I'll catch up, I will! *huffs and puffs in your clouds of dust

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments I'm probably about 40% finished

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments Anybody else liking the magic system? I really like the metal based system. It seems really well thought out and internally consistent.

message 27: by Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (last edited Apr 25, 2019 05:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 613 comments Scott wrote: "Anybody else liking the magic system? I really like the metal based system. It seems really well thought out and internally consistent."

I feel iffy about it. Since it is metal-fuelled, I am fine with the aspects that affect other metals; not so keen on the logic that it can influence others' emotions, let alone (view spoiler). But, that is the system we have, I enjoyed it despite this minor reservation. I expect it to be expanded further in later books based on (view spoiler)

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 613 comments C'mon Oshihzu, even Auntie Terror is finished now! lol

message 29: by Auntie Terror (last edited Apr 25, 2019 09:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 422 comments Marc wrote: "C'mon Oshihzu, even Auntie Terror is finished now! lol"

As far as I can see, I might be the third person finishing this here. ;-p

I did like the magic system because of its rules and regulations. As a former PnP player, I hate few things more than "supermen" running through fantasy worlds (view spoiler). I also liked the world-building and background story, and Vin's development. (view spoiler)
Still, I gave it 3.7 stars, mainly because I had two characters to dote on (Vin & Sazed). And I will read the other two books eventually - though not in May and June, I fear.

message 30: by Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (last edited Apr 25, 2019 10:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 613 comments Great thoughts on this book, A.T., I agree with most everything, although (view spoiler). Sorry that you won't be reading the next couple with this group. I am confident (or rather, hopeful) that Sanderson continued to mature as a writer and some of the awkward plot points and underdeveloped characters will fade away.

The one major thing that spoiled my enjoyment of the climax was (seriously, don't click this unless you have finished the book) (view spoiler) I found this particularly contrived, so I had to actively choose to suspend my disbelief to get into the thrill of the final events.

I am looking forward to the next book, have it in my May-to-read pile beside my bed (it's a huge stack, seriously). I project to start it perhaps May 5-6, or later if I decide to take a chunk out of 1Q84 first, another buddy read for which I am delinquent in starting.

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 422 comments @Marc (and others who have finished):
I suspected that (view spoiler)
But as I mentioned in my preliminary review, now and again some twists and turns were too much dependent on previously unmentioned "surprises" out of the blue for me which made me feel kind of tricked.

But of course you are right - there certainly is hope (view spoiler) for Sanderson having grown out of these "shortcomings".

message 33: by oshizu, Challenges (new) - rated it 3 stars

oshizu | 5088 comments Marc wrote: "C'mon Oshihzu, even Auntie Terror is finished now! lol"

LOL! Hey, I'm on page 3 at the moment!
I've even made a hard resolution that I cannot play any video games each day until I've read at least 100 pages of Mistborn.
I'm not worried--I'll get pulled into the book hopefully and finish it by the end of the month.
Another incentive is that, then, I can return here and read your lovely comments.

message 34: by oshizu, Challenges (last edited Apr 25, 2019 08:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

oshizu | 5088 comments Well, fellow reading buddies, I kept getting distracted while trying to read the Prologue but I buckled down and finished Part I (Chapters 1-8).

So far, (view spoiler)

I had my doubts at first, but I'm now finding this book engrossing enough to finish reading by the end of this month. :D

message 35: by oshizu, Challenges (new) - rated it 3 stars

oshizu | 5088 comments I finished this book during the wee hours this past Saturday.
Honestly, I loathed Vin throughout most of the book and generally felt no empathy toward the other characters as well, except for Sazed who continues to fascinate me.

So that leaves me on the fence for continuing with Well of Ascension next month. I read the book blurb and note that Vin is one of the protagonists, which is a huge turn-off for me.
When I finished The Final Empire, I'd decided never to read another Sanderson book. Today, I'm willing to give Well of Ascension a go next month. Last chance....

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 613 comments Any final thoughts from others? I will be curious to see how many hangers-on we still have by book 6. I will stick with it to the end no matter what; I have a compulsion for completion, sometimes to my detriment.

message 37: by Scott (last edited May 06, 2019 04:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments Really enjoyed this one, the plot, characters and world seemed to be of my taste.

(view spoiler)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.