2021 Reading Challenge discussion

Us Against You (Beartown, #2)
This topic is about Us Against You
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2019 > Us Against You (Beartown #2)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Claire  (claire6452) | 684 comments I just started reading this morning, and as usual, Backman has me hooked right from the start. He's made me laugh, cry, and sit in awe of his ability to analyze the human psyche.

Cassie | 328 comments I absolutely loved this book. I read the first one with a book group, and had to go find this one as soon as we finished. The characters felt so real to me, I found myself comparing them to people I know. I think, in the end, I liked Beartown a bit better but I wouldn't have been happy until I finished the story with this!

message 3: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 3 stars

SarahKat | 2615 comments I will be starting this one today (I hope)!

Lindsay | 1311 comments I've read the first 6 chapters. It pretty much just picks up where Beartown left off. Hopefully get a bit further in the next few days.

message 5: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 3 stars

SarahKat | 2615 comments I'm on chapter 12. I am enjoying it so far, but not as much as Beartown. It does have the same feel and Backman's writing is great as always. I'm not really a fan of Maya's song lyrics interspersed with the story, but oh well.
It feels very sad and hopeless and political.

Claire  (claire6452) | 684 comments SarahKat wrote: "I'm on chapter 12. I am enjoying it so far, but not as much as Beartown. It does have the same feel and Backman's writing is great as always. I'm not really a fan of Maya's song lyrics interspersed..."

It's definitely depressing compared to Beartown, but I think that's because it begins with us already knowing that the whole town is falling apart because of what Kevin did to Maya. The way the town is divided pretty much determines that there isn't going to be a happy ending here.

I also didn't think too much of Maya's lyrics at first, but that changed in Chapter 29, when (view spoiler)

As for the political aspect, I'm not sure how things are all going to work out, but this Richard Theo guy is really sleazy. I hope everyone catches on to him by the end!

I have decided that Ramona is my favorite person in Beartown. She's tough, she's real, and she's the most honest person there.

Cassie | 328 comments Claire wrote: "SarahKat wrote: "I'm on chapter 12. I am enjoying it so far, but not as much as Beartown. It does have the same feel and Backman's writing is great as always. I'm not really a fan of Maya's song ly..."

I absolutely loved Ramona's character. She was a no-nonsense old woman who was probably more of a mother to half of Beartown than their actual parents. That is a woman I would love to sit and have a drink with, and just listen to her life story.

message 8: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (last edited Apr 15, 2019 07:32AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

SarahKat | 2615 comments Claire wrote: "SarahKat wrote: "I'm on chapter 12. I am enjoying it so far, but not as much as Beartown. It does have the same feel and Backman's writing is great as always. I'm not really a fan of Maya's song ly..."

I agree the chapter 29 lyrics were very poignant. I am almost done with the book now and I am really liking the last half more than the first. I think it's because I prefer the sections from the kids' point of view. I don't like all the political stuff and the adults arguing. It adds to the story, but every time Richard Theo or even Peter come up I am rolling my eyes wanting to get back to Benji, Maya, Ana, etc.

I also like Ramona, and Jeanette.

message 9: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 3 stars

SarahKat | 2615 comments Finished. I liked this, but definitely not as much as the first book. It did not evoke as much emotional trauma, which is nice because I can go about my day not feeling eviscerated. But, it won't stick with me as much as Beartown did either.

Review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 10: by Lindsay (last edited Apr 17, 2019 12:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lindsay | 1311 comments Cassie wrote: "I absolutely loved this book. I read the first one with a book group, and had to go find this one as soon as we finished. The characters felt so real to me, I found myself comparing them to people ..."

I loved this too. I couldn't wait to read it after Beartown and I loved it just as much. Definitely need to read more Fredrik Backman. I've read A Man Called Ove. Does anyone have any recommendations of what to read next?

Claire  (claire6452) | 684 comments I finished a few days ago, but haven't had a chance to post my thoughts. As usual, Fredrik Backman has left me drained with his insights into human nature. He has a way of expressing human emotions and reactions in a way that's completely genuine, yet still manages to catch me off guard and hit me emotionally. I find it happens particularly when he's talking about parents. One line stood out to me, early in the book; "You become someone else's property the first time you hear your child cry." Everything that followed those words demonstrated their truth, even when parents, like Peter and Kira, struggled to find the best way to support Maya and Leo.

Every word Backman puts down has meaning There's no fluff, no filler. Every word is important, I consider him one of the great writers of our time.

Lindsay, I would suggest reading My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry. I found it a little harder to get into than Beartown or Us Against You, but by the end, you'll love it as well.

I'm planning to read Britt-Marie Was Here soon. That would be a logical one to read after My Grandmother, because Britt-Marie is one of the characters in that book.

He's also done a couple of novellas that were good, but I like his full novels better.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.