Aussie Readers discussion

Dressing the Dearloves
This topic is about Dressing the Dearloves
Archives > April 2019-Final Thoughts-**Spoilers Allowed**-Dressing the Dearloves

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

Phrynne | 11349 comments Mod
Final thoughts (and reviews if you like) on Dressing the Dearloves by Kelly Doust Dressing the Dearloves by Kelly Doust

message 2: by Kathryn (last edited Apr 06, 2019 11:04PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kathryn | 3496 comments I just finished this and, while it was enjoyable enough to read, I wasn't really terribly invested in it. I would have liked for the dresses and other clothes Sylvie found in the attic to have had a bigger, more active, part in the story. And I didn't feel much of a connection with the characters - and they just irritated me with some of their actions. Although obviously even the actions that irritated me were necessary, or the story wouldn't have been the same! Just 3★ for me.

Andrea | 1615 comments I've just posted my review, where I rated it 4★, but I thought I'd add a few comments here as well.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

The romance-y side of the story didn't bother me - I barely noticed it. I felt it was almost incidental. I guess I was more interested in the family dynamics. In particular, I thought it was interesting how the character of Lizzie developed. At the start she was the sweet, supportive great-grandmother, but by the end she was mean and ruthless. And the most interesting part of that was how Sylvie reflected on the transition right at the end of the story.

I was perplexed by Gigi. She was supposedly this larger-than-life character, and yet she really wasn't given much of a chance to show it in the present day, even though she was there, on the estate, living with the rest of the family. Did anyone else think that was strange? Also, who is she? (view spoiler)

Kathryn | 3496 comments Andrea wrote: "I've just posted my review, where I rated it 4★, but I thought I'd add a few comments here as well.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

The romance-y side of the story didn't bother ..."

We're certainly all different - the cheesy romance elements really grated on me!! But perhaps that was just me!

I think Gigi's part was quiet in the present day because she'd been a groupie chick earlier in life, but now she's found enlightenment and is into more sedate, new-age-y sort of activities, like doing yoga and drinking kombucha. And because Sylvie's parents run the estate, Gigi doesn't have any part to play in that, so I guess that's why she doesn't feature too large in the story...

(view spoiler)

message 5: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brenda | 69424 comments Mod
I've just finished this one after a slow start. I actually put it down and read another book, unsure if I'd finish it. I picked it up again this morning and I'm glad I did, as it was much better from around half way on. Here's my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...