Aussie Readers discussion

Dressing the Dearloves
This topic is about Dressing the Dearloves
Archives > April 2019-First Thoughts-**No Spoilers**-Dressing the Dearloves

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

Phrynne | 10975 comments Mod
First thoughts on Dressing the Dearloves by Kelly Doust Dressing the Dearloves by Kelly Doust

Andrea | 1563 comments Oh, I didn’t realise this was coming up as a group read! It’s been sitting on my Kindle for months, waiting to be read, so this seems like the perfect opportunity. I really enjoyed Kelly Doust’s previous novel Precious Things, so I’m hoping this one will be just as good.

message 3: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brenda | 68329 comments Mod
I've also got it on my kindle Andrea - I'm looking forward to it. Veronica recommended it to me :)

Kathryn | 3449 comments I'm just over halfway through this one and I'm finding it a bit soppier than I was expecting. I was also expecting more of a focus on the dresses and costumes in the trunks, but although they're kind of what the story is hanging on (or so I sense), they're not really playing an active part in the story - if that makes sense. I'm listening to it as an audiobook - not sure whether that is making a difference to my appreciation of the book, but the narrator is good.

But I was listening to a scene at the gym this morning where my eyes were almost rolling continuously at some of the overly soppy romance. I see only one person has shelved it as romance, but my goodness, it is definitely a romance!

Is anyone else reading this at the moment?

message 5: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh no! I thought it was historical fiction?? I'll be doing some skimming by the sound of it :(

Kathryn | 3449 comments Brenda wrote: "Oh no! I thought it was historical fiction?? I'll be doing some skimming by the sound of it :("

Well - it IS, but there's a bit of a love triangle (or square!) going on as well - which isn't unusual for historical fiction, but I just really don't like the soppy kind of stuff where the author makes more of things (chance meetings etc) than they should do. With the benefit of hindsight, sure - but the way this story is being written, it isn't like a retrospective story - and a character cannot know in a particular moment whether that moment is significant or insignificant!

I also hate how almost every book nowadays has to have some sort of sex scene where the characters just can't fight the feelings they have for each other etc, etc, yada yada yada. It just seems so immature - I want to yell that they don't have to sleep with someone just because they've just met them!! And if they ARE going to sleep with them, do we really need to know about his lips grazing her earlobe, and his breath on her neck, and so on and so forth?? This is the passage that had my eye-rolling in overdrive this morning!

And the thing is, that there are a lot of books like this - this one perhaps isn't worse than many of the others, but maybe I've reached my limit of tolerance, so I'm having a whinge! It's a shame, because I love the historical, story side of historical fiction, it's just a shame that it often comes with a heavy-handed side of sentimentality and sex!!

message 7: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hmmm - I usually avoid the stuff you're talking about, but sometimes I guess we get caught. I'm over them jumping into bed with each other 5 minutes after they met too! lol

Kathryn | 3449 comments Brenda wrote: "Hmmm - I usually avoid the stuff you're talking about, but sometimes I guess we get caught. I'm over them jumping into bed with each other 5 minutes after they met too! lol"

I find it really difficult to avoid - I avoid Mills & Boons since they are obviously these sort of books, and I avoid books billed solely as romance, but with other books, it can be difficult to know it's there until you're actually reading it! Even my crime/suspense reads have it lately - I finished Bleed for Me by Michael Robotham last night and it wasn't soppy, but there were still a couple of sex scenes in it! And between people who hardly knew each other!

message 9: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Must be the 'thing' nowadays!!

Andrea | 1563 comments I’m about 1/3 of the way through this and am starting to get quite absorbed. I don’t really think of myself as a person interested in fashion, but I do love textiles, so I’m loving the descriptions of what everyone is wearing; the fabrics and the embellishments perhaps more so than the actual styles. Sylvie has just been up in the attic for the first time in years, and had forgotten the treasures it holds. Hopefully she’s going to be spending a lot more time up there throughout the book.

message 11: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm hoping to start my copy soon Andrea :)

Kathryn | 3449 comments Andrea wrote: "I’m about 1/3 of the way through this and am starting to get quite absorbed. I don’t really think of myself as a person interested in fashion, but I do love textiles, so I’m loving the descriptions..."

That's what I was hoping for as well, Andrea, and there was a little more about the attic and the clothes up there, but sadly not enough, in my opinion.

Andrea | 1563 comments Kathryn wrote: "That's what I was hoping for as well, Andrea, and there was a little more about the attic and the clothes up there, but sadly not enough, in my opinion...."

😬 that’s a shame. I suspect the love interest has just turned up, so I guess it could be changing direction pretty soon.