Aussie Lovers of Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Suspense discussion

Death in the Dordogne (Bruno, Chief of Police, #1)
This topic is about Death in the Dordogne
Archives > April 2019-First Thoughts-**No Spoilers**-Death in the Dordogne

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new)

Phrynne | 3479 comments Mod
First thoughts on Death in the Dordogne (Bruno, Chief of Police, #1) by Martin Walker Death in the Dordogne by Martin Walker

Kylie H | 783 comments My copy arrived in the mail on Friday ☺, so all good to go once I finish the 2nd Enzo McLeod book I am currently reading.

message 3: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Brenda | 9187 comments Mod
Perfect timing Kylie!

message 4: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new)

My copy is reserved at the library. I should get it some time in April!

message 5: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Hopefully not the 30th!

message 6: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new)

I suppose I could read it in a day if no one interrupted me:)

message 7: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

You could...

Kylie H | 783 comments It was probably not a good idea for me to read this straight after an Enzo McLeod book, I am getting characters and places muddled. Hopefully I can switch off the Enzo part of my brain soon.

message 9: by Joanne (new)

Joanne I have started but a bit slow sorry, but I am enjoying it. 🤩

message 10: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Kylie H wrote: "It was probably not a good idea for me to read this straight after an Enzo McLeod book, I am getting characters and places muddled. Hopefully I can switch off the Enzo part of my brain soon."

I like to read a different genre so I don't have that happen Kylie :)

message 11: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Joanne wrote: "I have started but a bit slow sorry, but I am enjoying it. 🤩"

Good to hear!

message 12: by Carolyn (last edited Apr 09, 2019 04:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carolyn | 1317 comments Just picked up a battered copy from the library (making the most of my renewed acquaintance with the library!).

My copy is called Bruno, Chief of Police, it's original title - in case anyone has trouble finding it. Should be starting it in a day or two :)

message 13: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Enjoy Carolyn :)

Kylie H | 783 comments I am reading my battered copy of 'Bruno, Chief of Police' that I picked up cheap from Abe Books as my library didn't have a copy. I am a few chapters in now and it took a few to get into the story and to get to know some of the characters. I think I am going to soon be hooked on yet another series of books!!

message 15: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

That sounds good Kylie - not the "new series", but the fact that you're enjoying it!

message 16: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

I've just reserved a copy at the library for this one - hopefully I'll have time to read it :)

message 17: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new)

Same Brenda. The person who has the library copy that I am waiting for doesn't have to return it until 19th April. I hope they bring it back on time:)

message 18: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

I hope so for your sake! My normal library didn't have a copy under either title. So I went to the Newcastle City Library, and they have 1 copy and it's not out! So I should have it reasonably soon I hope :)

message 19: by Joanne (new)

Joanne I really like it p, though it does move a little slow. But I love the location and general ease of it all. Interesting story as well.

Carolyn | 1317 comments I've started reading it too and am enjoying it so far. With the setting a charming, sleepy little French village and an easygoing Chief of Police who turns a blind eye when required, I thought this might be a cosy mystery. However, with a racially linked death it looks a bit more serious than that.

Kylie H | 783 comments Carolyn wrote: "I've started reading it too and am enjoying it so far. With the setting a charming, sleepy little French village and an easygoing Chief of Police who turns a blind eye when required, I thought this..."

From the part I have just read definitely not a cosy!

message 22: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Doesn't sound cosy to me by the blurb either :)

Kylie H | 783 comments Phrynne wrote: "Same Brenda. The person who has the library copy that I am waiting for doesn't have to return it until 19th April. I hope they bring it back on time:)"

I had an eBook (2nd book in the Patrik Hedstrom series) on hold at my library for over 6 months and was no. 5 in the queue for the whole time! Feeling quite exasperated I emailed the library and said 'not a criticism but a question' why is it taking so long to get hold of this book? Has the same person had it all this time? I got an apology and library purchased more copies, plus more from the series ☺. What wonderful people are the librarians? Very happy ending.

message 24: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

That's a great result Kylie! Everyone would be happy then :)

message 25: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Kylie H wrote: "Phrynne wrote: "Same Brenda. The person who has the library copy that I am waiting for doesn't have to return it until 19th April. I hope they bring it back on time:)"

I had an eBook (2nd book in ..."

Aren’t they , totally love librarians. ❤️❤️😁😁

Carolyn | 1317 comments Brenda wrote: "Doesn't sound cosy to me by the blurb either :)"

I never read the blurb before starting a book, just in case there are spoilers - I'd rather be surprised.
Also I don't like being told by the publishers what to think about the book before reading it - so many blurbs tell you this is just like 'Gone Girl' or it's a spine chilling, twisted thriller that you won't be able to put down! I do read the blurb before buying a book but by the time I get to read it I will have forgotten it.

I liked that the author set the scene of the quiet, little French sleepy village where stealing someone's cheeses is about the most serious crime that happens and then suddenly drops in this horrific murder.

Kylie H | 783 comments I agree Carolyn, quite often the blurb promises something that the book fails to deliver and I feel a bit ripped off.
So far I am finding this book well balanced with a quirky every day French provincial life and a horrific potentially racist murder.

message 28: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Carolyn wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Doesn't sound cosy to me by the blurb either :)"

I never read the blurb before starting a book, just in case there are spoilers - I'd rather be surprised.
Also I don't like being t..."

Fair enough :) Though I must admit I don't read the blurb just before reading the book as I would have read it when choosing to get it.

Carolyn | 1317 comments I've been enjoying it too Kylie - almost finished it.
I have to say there's a lot of eating and drinking in the book. Every occasion seems to call for alcohol or a special meal!

Kylie H | 783 comments Carolyn wrote: "I've been enjoying it too Kylie - almost finished it.
I have to say there's a lot of eating and drinking in the book. Every occasion seems to call for alcohol or a special meal!"

It certainly does, I have been foraging for snacks when I am reading it. I thought my clothes were shrinking in the wash but I might have to blame Bruno!!

message 31: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Haha! Of course it's Bruno's fault! lol

Aussie Lovers of Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Suspense

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Bruno, Chief of Police (other topics)
Death in the Dordogne (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Martin Walker (other topics)