Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive - Buddy Reads 2019 > The Cabin at the End of the World - April 8, 2019

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vicki Willis (last edited Mar 30, 2019 04:05PM) (new)

Vicki Willis | 813 comments Join us for a buddy read of The Cabin at the End of the World The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay by Paul Tremblay.

The Bram Stoker Award-winning author of A Head Full of Ghosts adds an inventive twist to the home invasion horror story in a heart-palpitating novel of psychological suspense that recalls Stephen King’s Misery, Ruth Ware’s In a Dark, Dark Wood, and Jack Ketchum’s cult hit The Girl Next Door.

Seven-year-old Wen and her parents, Eric and Andrew, are vacationing at a remote cabin on a quiet New Hampshire lake. Their closest neighbors are more than two miles in either direction along a rutted dirt road.

One afternoon, as Wen catches grasshoppers in the front yard, a stranger unexpectedly appears in the driveway. Leonard is the largest man Wen has ever seen but he is young, friendly, and he wins her over almost instantly. Leonard and Wen talk and play until Leonard abruptly apologizes and tells Wen, "None of what’s going to happen is your fault". Three more strangers then arrive at the cabin carrying unidentifiable, menacing objects. As Wen sprints inside to warn her parents, Leonard calls out: "Your dads won’t want to let us in, Wen. But they have to. We need your help to save the world."

Thus begins an unbearably tense, gripping tale of paranoia, sacrifice, apocalypse, and survival that escalates to a shattering conclusion, one in which the fate of a loving family and quite possibly all of humanity are entwined. The Cabin at the End of the World is a masterpiece of terror and suspense from the fantastically fertile imagination of Paul Tremblay.

message 2: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 813 comments Everyone is welcome.

We will be reading at our own pace and using spoiler tags for the discussion.

message 3: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 14 comments Super! Thank you.

message 4: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 813 comments Have you read thus author before Claire? This will be my first book by him.

message 5: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 813 comments I have this ready to go. Just need to finish up one other first.

message 6: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 14 comments Vicki Willis wrote: "Have you read thus author before Claire? This will be my first book by him."

For me it is the first time to read him too. I’m going to start reading in half an hour or so. Where do you live? I guess we’re in completely different time zones. I live in Europe so now it is almost 9 pm.

message 7: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 14 comments Ok, I started listening to it. So far ( an hour in the book) I’m not sure what to think. I am very curious though to read on,
But right now, I’m after midnight so I’ll read on tomorrow.

message 8: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 813 comments I am on the west coast of the USA (San Diego) so we are in VERY different time zones. LOL
How is the narrator?

message 9: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 14 comments Vicki Willis wrote: "I am on the west coast of the USA (San Diego) so we are in VERY different time zones. LOL
How is the narrator?"

I read a lot of bad comments about the narrating, but so far I think it is very good.

message 10: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 813 comments Ok, I have had a very busy week and only read a couple of pages. Hoping to get a good chunk read this weekend and I will comment then.
How are you finding it Claire?

message 11: by Vicki Willis (last edited Apr 13, 2019 09:24AM) (new)

Vicki Willis | 813 comments So I have read 50 pages. I am at the beginning of Lets Make A Deal section.

So far I like it. The character development is good. We know some background about Wen and about Andrew and Eric.

The tension gets ratcheted up when (view spoiler)

The thing that scares me is (view spoiler)

message 12: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 14 comments I will read on tomorrow. I agree with your questions and I thnk it is all even scarier (view spoiler)

message 13: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 813 comments I read a little more of this one. I am on p. 82
I am not sure that I am liking it.
I am not sure I even know what it is about. So far it has been very repetitive with (view spoiler)
I am at the part where (view spoiler)

I am really wondering (view spoiler)

I hope you are finding this one better than I am. Or I hope it gets better quick.

message 14: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 813 comments I finished this one. I am giving it 3 stars. It started off with a lot of promise and sort of stalled for me. I did think the end was much better and I actually liked where the author ended the book.
It was very (view spoiler)
I am glad I read it and would definitely try something else by this author.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Cabin at the End of the World (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Paul Tremblay (other topics)