Georgette Heyer Fans discussion

Group Reads > April Lady April 2019 Read Chapters 1 - 7

Comments Showing 1-50 of 129 (129 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 2572 comments Mod
April is the perfect month to read April Lady, led by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂.

So...is this anyone's first read?
How many times have you read this title.
What format are you using this time? :)

Please, no open spoilers in this thread - although spoilers are fine if you use spoiler tags.

message 2: by Alathea (new)

Alathea Jane (vronlas) | 54 comments I think I have probably read it a long time ago, but I have no recollection of it, and it's not one of the Heyers on my shelves.

I was going to get the Kindle edition, but according to one of the reviews on Amazon, "there are large sections of the story missing in the Kindle version". Is this true?

message 3: by Critterbee❇ (last edited Mar 31, 2019 03:22PM) (new)

Alathea wrote: "I think I have probably read it a long time ago, but I have no recollection of it, and it's not one of the Heyers on my shelves.

I was going to get the Kindle edition, but according to one of the..."

I have the kindle version, and it doesn't appear to have parts missing - but I have not read it all yet.

Also, I went and read some of the reviews on Amazon, and one person said their copy is in Russian - which mine is not; another review said that this is a collection of short stories, which it is not, and others are for different, non-kindle editions.

Amazon's book reviews are often grouped to include every version of a title. I think if it is missing parts you can return it if you do it within a day or two (maybe a week?)

message 4: by Susan in NC (last edited Mar 30, 2019 05:00PM) (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3335 comments This will be my second read, I read it several years ago when I first discovered Heyer and devoured everything my library had, so don’t remember much!

I have borrowed my library’s ancient copy, the 1957 Putnam edition, love the cover April Lady by Georgette Heyer .

message 5: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Love that cover, Susan!

I am reading it on my kindle, and have only read it once, years ago when I sped through GH's romances.

message 6: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne | 27 comments This was my first time, listened to the Eve Matheson recording from the library.

message 7: by Susan in NC (last edited Mar 30, 2019 06:37PM) (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3335 comments Critterbee❇ wrote: "Love that cover, Susan!

I am reading it on my kindle, and have only read it once, years ago when I sped through GH's romances."

Thanks, I love these old Putnam covers, as well!

message 8: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3335 comments Yvonne wrote: "This was my first time, listened to the Eve Matheson recording from the library."

I will probably pick up the Audiobook to listen to once I have an Audible credit available (tomorrow, I think). Heyer’s romances on audiobook are delightful, like a whole new adventure!

Barb in Maryland | 646 comments I have not read this in many, many years (like 40 or so!) Obviously something didn't sit right with me the first time I read it.
This was the copy I read all those years ago.
April Lady by Georgette Heyer
Isn't that just absolutely hideous? Nell is barely 19--this cover girl appears to be 29, minimum!
The library copy I have on hand is prettier, even if the clothes are the wrong era.
April Lady by Georgette Heyer

message 10: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3335 comments Barb in Maryland wrote: "I have not read this in many, many years (like 40 or so!) Obviously something didn't sit right with me the first time I read it.
[bookcover:April Lady|..."

That’s the same cover from my library ebook! (Yes, I like to have as many versions as possible available, you never know where you might want to read...)

message 11: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 220 comments That’s the same copy I’ve got, Barb. I think it’s hideous too! Her hairstyle looks like it’s more from the 1960s.

message 12: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 1272 comments I have an embarrassing Harlequin edition with a pink cover that screams "look at the pathetic middle-aged lady reading a romance novel!" To add insult to injury, it is riddled with typos.

Not sure how many times I've read this but certainly four or five times. It's not a favorite, though; I get tired of all the (view spoiler) stuff.

message 13: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3335 comments Abigail wrote: "I have an embarrassing Harlequin edition with a pink cover that screams "look at the pathetic middle-aged lady reading a romance novel!" To add insult to injury, it is riddled with typos.

Not sur..."

That vaguely rings a bell, might be why I’m not remembering it as a favorite.

Jay-me (Janet)  | 111 comments April Lady by Georgette Heyer This is the cover of my copy - but my copy is a re-issue by Arrow Books in 2001.

It is one that I have read many times, and have just finished again earlier this week.

message 15: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4119 comments Mod
Hi mine is the same cover on the title of the thread. No resemblance to Nell at all.

Ive read many, many times. To be honest Ive already completed the read this time!

message 16: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne | 27 comments Susan in NC wrote: "Yvonne wrote: "This was my first time, listened to the Eve Matheson recording from the library."

I will probably pick up the Audiobook to listen to once I have an Audible credit available (tomorro..."

I was very glad I borrowed mine. I didn’t like the reading much at all. She did a fine job of Friday’s child though.

message 17: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Holmes | 21 comments April Lady is one of my least favourite GH Regency books. I am going to find reading this a chore!

message 18: by Alathea (new)

Alathea Jane (vronlas) | 54 comments Critterbee❇ wrote: I have the kindle version, and it doesn't appear to have parts missing - but I have not read it all yet.

Thank you! I'll get the kindle version and risk it :-)

Also, I went and read some of the reviews on Amazon, and one person said there copy is in Russian - which mine is not; another review said that this is a collection of short stories, which it is not, and others are for different, non-kindle editions.

I didn't notice the Russian, but I did see that at least two people have left a review for Pistols for Two under April Lady - in one case, it's the same review repeated three times. Not sure if this a glitch with Amazon, or the reviewers not paying attention.

message 19: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3335 comments Yvonne wrote: "Susan in NC wrote: "Yvonne wrote: "This was my first time, listened to the Eve Matheson recording from the library."

I will probably pick up the Audiobook to listen to once I have an Audible credi..."

Good to know - I listened to a sample and wasn’t dazzled; I might use the credit for another read and try rereading this one on borrowed kindle and library books!

message 20: by Hana (new)

Hana | 652 comments My copy is waiting for me at the library. I'm looking forward to it--my recollection is that it's nice light fun and that's what I'm in the mood for after some seriously heavy non-fiction reading.

message 21: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 1272 comments Hey, Jemima, friendly reminder--this is the start-of-the-book thread. Maybe move your comment over to the spoiler thread, just in case there are first-time readers?

BTW, I'm inclined to agree with you! Though I go a little easier on our hero.

message 22: by Critterbee❇ (new)

I have moved Jemima's thread to the spoilers/ final conclusions thread.

message 23: by Hana (new)

Hana | 652 comments Thanks, Critterbee! It's been long enough since my last reading that I've forgotten the plot details and I want to look at it with fresh eyes. I often find that GH has enough depth to her writing that a second or third reading, especially with a group, reveals new pleasures.

message 24: by Critterbee❇ (new)

It has been ages since I read this, too. It feels like I am coming into it as a new read myself - a very unusual feeling for me regarding GH, and I am savouring it!

message 25: by Mary (new)

Mary | 34 comments Surprisingly, this is one of the few GH books I've not yet read, so I've been anxiously awaiting April 1st. Mine is the current Kindle version. Who picks the cover art? Costumes, scenes, often do not match the story. Now there's a job I'd like!

message 26: by Hana (new)

Hana | 652 comments Barb in Maryland wrote: "
[bookcover:April Lady|..."Isn't that just absolutely hideous? Nell is barely 19--this cover girl appears to be 29, minimum!

Lol, Barb. I think you are being generous. Maybe 40+ with surgical enhancement and a very strange beehive wig.

message 27: by Jemima (new)

Jemima Ravenclaw (jemimaravenclaw) | 29 comments Sorry everyone. I thought it was ok but happy with your judgement on the matter. I’ll be more careful in future.

message 28: by Ah (new)

Ah | 71 comments It's not one of my favorites - a bit too much like A Convenient Marriage without the humour. No really stand-out characters, or funny set pieces.

message 29: by Jenny (new)

Jenny H (jenny_norwich) | 624 comments I've read it several times, but it's not one I come back to regularly. As Ah says "a bit too much like A Convenient Marriage without the humour". I did feel it was a bit of a pot-boiler.

message 30: by Susan in NC (last edited Apr 01, 2019 07:20AM) (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3335 comments Jenny wrote: "I've read it several times, but it's not one I come back to regularly. As Ah says "a bit too much like A Convenient Marriage without the humour". I did feel it was a bit of a pot-boiler."

Ok, your comments, along with Ah’s and my reading of the first couple chapters last night are stirring memories- I think I enjoyed it, but didn’t loooooove it. I was new to Heyer, and wouldn’t have distinguished yet her various “stock characters“ and favorite plot devices - after reading with this group for a few years and reading her bio, I think I have learned to pick up quicker on these things. “Convenient Marriage without the humor” makes perfect sense!

And I’m already (view spoiler) I’ll read on and see if things change...

I used spoiler tags because I wanted to respond specifically to Ah’s and Jenny’s comments, but if you feel you need to move it to the spoiler thread, I understand.

message 31: by Jane (Aire) (new)

Jane (Aire) Kingswood | 6 comments I'm reading it for the first time as this year is my first thorough read through Heyer.

The version I'm reading is a double edition with Pistols for Two from the 1990s.

message 32: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (mamanyt) | 124 comments There are no "new" Heyer books for me, although it had been YEARS since I read any of them! And boy, did I miss them! They will be on my shelves from now on!

As for "April Lady," I started reading it last night, and am about 2/3 of the way through. SO many comments to make, but for now, I'll just say, THANK GOD that Letty and Amanda (last month) weren't best friends! Can you even imagine the mayhem that those two young ladies could have caused if they joined forces?

message 33: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3335 comments Rebecca wrote: "There are no "new" Heyer books for me, although it had been YEARS since I read any of them! And boy, did I miss them! They will be on my shelves from now on!

As for "April Lady," I started reading..."

Good point - It truly boggles the mind the trouble they could get into!

message 34: by Hana (last edited Apr 01, 2019 01:58PM) (new)

Hana | 652 comments I'm just starting out with Chapter 1 and I love it that GH had the courage to write a post-wedding romance that's not an obvious 'happily ever after' story but explores the struggles and differences that can make or break relationships.

message 35: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments I have two copies of this, one with a simpering brunette smiling at the highwayman who is holding her captive, and one in glaring blue background with Pepto-Bismol pink type and a very arch blonde playing with her pearls as she looks over her shoulder. They're both rather dreadful but are in good condition - obviously not a favorite for either the previous owners or myself... I'll be curious to see if I do enjoy it more this time, because I remember very little of it!

message 36: by Hana (last edited Apr 01, 2019 02:08PM) (new)

Hana | 652 comments Part of it is the age difference, part is personality, part is the horrific family issues that have trapped our April Lady in a web of supposed obligations to her parents and brother--and the new barely understood obligations to her husband. In a family like the one she's grown up in, deceit to avoid embarrassment becomes second nature. She may not have the slightest idea how to have an open, honest relationship.

message 37: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3335 comments Hana wrote: "Part of it is the age difference, part is personality, part is the horrific family issues that have trapped our April Lady in a web of supposed obligations to her parents and brother--and the new b..."

Very true and insightful!

message 38: by Jane (new)

Jane | 178 comments This is probably my third time reading, although it's been quite a long time since the last read. I've got the kindle version, the Sourcebooks paperback (pretty cover that Barb posted above), and my newly acquired audible version narrated by Eve Matheson. I just started listening to the first chapter. I don't think I can say that this is one of my favorite Heyer's, for reasons stated in spoilers above by Susan and Abigail and also because (view spoiler)
(p.s. - I quite like this narrator, but, so far, not nearly as much as I've liked Sarah Woodward, Sian Phillips and Phyllida Nash.)

message 39: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 1570 comments I read this once before and I think I wasn't over keen on it. Won't be starting for a day or two and I'm reading it on kindle as the paperback I have has very small print.

message 40: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 1198 comments I think Hana made a lot of good points and it makes me like Nell more than I otherwise would.
it is unfair that just because she is a married woman she is expected to keep Letty from doing whatever Letty wants to.
I understand the basic premise (view spoiler) is necessary, because without it there isn't a book, but this isn't my favorite Heyer as for so many.
But the ending is certainly worth waiting for!

message 41: by Jane (last edited Apr 01, 2019 04:57PM) (new)

Jane | 178 comments Okay, I've listened on through chapter 3 and decided I do not, at all, like this audible narrator, Eve Matheson. I'm finding her male voices to be absolutely horrible and Letty's screechy voice is equally grating and Nell sounds like a silly twit who's about to cry all the time. All of these voices are like nails on a chalkboard, to me. I'm thinking I'll switch to just reading instead of listening. If I continue listening, I may end up hating the book ... and I can't let that happen for a Heyer book!! I'm a bit disappointed because I've already purchased three other audio books narrated by her (Nonesuch, Friday's Child and Lady of Quality); here's hoping I'll agree with Yvonne and find, at least, Friday's Child to be an improvement.

message 42: by Jane (new)

Jane | 178 comments Rebecca wrote: "There are no "new" Heyer books for me, although it had been YEARS since I read any of them! And boy, did I miss them! They will be on my shelves from now on!

As for "April Lady," I started reading..."

Rebecca, I agree! Mayhem is right! Those two girls together would drive me completely batty!!

message 43: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3335 comments Jane wrote: "Okay, I've listened on through chapter 3 and decided I do not, at all, like this audible narrator, Eve Matheson. I'm finding her male voices to be absolutely horrible and Letty's screechy voice is ..."

Jane, I am sorry- as someone who has just lately really come to enjoy audiobooks, I agree, a bad narrator can ruin a favorite book! I was thinking about listening to this one, but the sample on Audible just didn’t do it for me.

message 44: by Jane (new)

Jane | 178 comments Susan, good thing you didn't use your audible credit! Although, of course, everyone's listening ear is different. I just went back and read some of this narrators reviews on audible and so many people find her to be quite lovely. To me, I find her voice to be fine when she's just reading as the narrator. But it's some of her character voices that drive me bonkers. I just read one of my GR friends' review for The Nonesuch and I agree with what she said, especially about character interpretations and annoying personalities: "I listened to the audio narrated by Eve Matheson and couldn't recommend it. While she certainly has some great voices, one or two of them were used twice, making it difficult to figure out which character was speaking. Also, I'm not sure that I trust her interpretations of the characters. Because of the voice used, a few of them came off to have rather annoying personalities and I'm not sure that they were supposed to be such."

message 45: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 1198 comments I considered using the free audible credit on April Lady and now I'm glad I didn't.

message 46: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (mamanyt) | 124 comments This is why I like print, although, for very busy people, I can see the attractions of audibles. I KNOW, deem in my heart, EXACTLY what all of these characters are "supposed" to sound like! Nell isn't wimpy to the point of tears, but is shy and retiring. Letty isn't screechy, but airy, flighty, and petulant when crossed. Dysert sounds JUST LIKE my first "serious boyfriend, and with good reason! My very wise father (like Cardoff with Letty) did NOT refuse to let me see him, but laughed at some of his absurdities to the poin that I could see nothing but those absurdities...but the voice was just like Dysert's!

message 47: by Hana (new)

Hana | 652 comments I find Nell's confusion entirely believable and very sad. Consider that she's been on the receiving end of appalling advice and gossip--in Ch. 3 we learn (view spoiler)

message 48: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3335 comments Hana wrote: "I find Nell's confusion entirely believable and very sad. Consider that she's been on the receiving end of appalling advice and gossip--in Ch. 3 we learn [spoilers removed]"

Agree - I generally hate the Big Misunderstanding as plot device, but Nell’s feelings and fears make sense for me, even as I feel Neil, as the more worldly and elder of the two, should talk to her! But I can see his insecurities too - frustrating!

message 49: by Hana (last edited Apr 02, 2019 07:02AM) (new)

Hana | 652 comments The descriptions of all those dresses and hats are fun. Here's a rose silk domino worn for a masked ball c 1770:

message 50: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 1272 comments One has to wonder how anyone saw Letty's spangled gown and dampened petticoats under all that!

« previous 1 3