April Lady
This topic is about April Lady
Group Reads > April Lady April 2019 Read Chapters 8 - 15

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 2572 comments Mod
How are you finding this book so far?

message 2: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Holmes | 21 comments Not very enjoyable.

Hana | 652 comments Sadly, I agree with Cardross that Letty is becoming a dead bore. Dysart is not much better though the list of his unsavory amusements in chapter 8 is an interesting look at a side of Regency London that GH rarely shows us.

message 4: by Hana (last edited Apr 03, 2019 07:43AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hana | 652 comments Happy to report that the action is picking up around ch.10. Plus we get a welcome dose of GH's humor with a subplot involving (view spoiler)

message 5: by Susan in NC (last edited Apr 03, 2019 10:58AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3335 comments Hana wrote: "Sadly, I agree with Cardross that Letty is becoming a dead bore. Dysart is not much better though the list of his unsavory amusements in chapter 8 is an interesting look at a side of Regency London..."

That was interesting, but I felt like she had done her research and was determined to put it in somewhere! Luckily, context and having read so many Regency novels helped explain some of the cant- or I’d be looking up the entire paragraph or two!

And I agree, Letty is exhausting- and poor Nell can’t even get some peace out of a Sunday sermon (chapter 9) with Letty along - I really feel for Nell, I don’t like constant conflict, either. But it was funny that Letty suspected Cardross had “suborned the blameless cleric into choosing a text aimed directly at herself”, even though Nell had planned to worship at the Royal Chapel and only opted for this closer church when family conflict threatened to make her late! At least Nell got a chuckle out of it!

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3335 comments Hana wrote: "Happy to report that the action is picking up around ch.10. Plus we get a welcome dose of GH's humor with a subplot involving [spoilers removed]"

Good, I look forward to that!

Hana | 652 comments Great moment with the Sunday sermon :D

Rebecca (mamanyt) | 124 comments I have to say, I was happy to get to the end of this one. For all of the reasons mentioned here, and in the discussion of chapters 1-7. I didn't NOT like it, but...it dragged a bit for me. I skimmed a lot of it. Of course, having read it several times since I was about 17 helps there.

Jane | 178 comments Phew!! I'm glad I made it through! I'm thinking it's time to revise that silly policy of my youth where I automatically gave 5 stars to ALL Georgette Heyer books.

Elliot Jackson | 275 comments OK, happy to report I liked the second half *much* better than the first!

message 11: by Hana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hana | 652 comments I'm so glad, Eliot!

message 12: by Rebecca (last edited Apr 14, 2019 11:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rebecca (mamanyt) | 124 comments Sometimes a Heyer book will remind me of a really long, drawn out joke, where you think you will never get to the end of the set-up, but the punch line is GREAT!

message 13: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen | 64 comments I had a hard time when I started April Lady I thought this was going to be another story with a fluffy main character and the tough male but I was wrong. I enjoyed this book once I got into it and realized it was a book about two people who love each other but neither one knows it and then there is the little sister. That Miss Letty gave everyone quite the ride but in the end brings everyone together and gets them to be honest with each other. It ended up being another fun adventure! I agree Ms. Heyer left the best for last in this book.

Teresa | 1573 comments I approached this with trepidation because I remember being not overly fond of it and a lot of the group don't seem to find it that interesting but I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised so far. I'm quite enjoying it. Yes there are large passages where it's someones thoughts on things and descriptions of items that we could do without but on the whole it's not a bad story at all. I'm glad Nell is not the fluffy head I was expecting. I'd love to give Letty a good slap. She's one spoilt madam. The writing seems slightly different to usual for Heyer.

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 1275 comments I know what you mean about the difference in the writing, Teresa. Usually she reveals characters through a combination of dialogue and physical surroundings, but here I kept catching her telling us what to think.

Teresa | 1573 comments Some of the time too it came across to me that she was rambling and hoping inspiration would strike.

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3335 comments This one worked better for me as an audiobook- so when it seemed like a looong “telling, not showing” stretch,I could speed it up a bit, and slow down when the writing seemed more inspired!

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 1275 comments You're right, Teresa!

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 2572 comments Mod
One of my fav things about Heyer is the way she lets huge details about a person or about the relationship between people just drop into the story. These concise sentences have such a huge impact and carry so much meaning in so few words, I just love it.

Rebecca (mamanyt) | 124 comments See, Teresa, sometimes absence DOES make the heart grow fonder! Glad you're having more fun with it this time around.

message 22: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 1201 comments Abigail wrote: "I know what you mean about the difference in the writing, Teresa. Usually she reveals characters through a combination of dialogue and physical surroundings, but here I kept catching her telling us..."

I wish I had a copy and could have joined in on this one but I was in the middle of moving. (as of yesterday, I live in Colorado!)
because I don't remember this and I'm interested in what you mean. can you think of examples?

that reminds me: I have to put get a library card on my to-do list

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 1275 comments Congrats on your move! I'm afraid I'm out of town right now, 400 miles from my copy of the book. But I remember mentally flagging the problem in the first two chapters. I think it might partly be a matter of when we get to know the hero and heroine--their courtship and marriage, as well as the seeds of their mutual misunderstanding, are all in the past at the time of the opening scene, so all that setup information is described by the narrator. If they were meeting for the first time, the setup could be done in a dramatic scene.

Elliot Jackson | 275 comments Jackie wrote: "(as of yesterday, I live in Colorado!)"

Hey, me too! Welcome to the 'hood!