A Good Thriller discussion

PIFM - Archive > PIFM - Chat/Banter/Review Your May 2019 Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5670 comments Mod
This thread is where you can chat about all things PIFM, ask questions and once books have been read, review your selected reads. A complete free for all.

PLEASE NOTE:

PIFM is meant to be FUN and not to be taken seriously. I would appreciate it if all participants just chilled and not get worked up about voting, who votes, who doesn't, etc. Please bear in mind that some will just want to vote, many don't come on everyday and most of us have time constraints. I just want a relaxed approach to it all and for you all to just enjoy the process! I'd really appreciate your courtesy in this matter. Many thanks.

message 2: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7903 comments Wow! That was quick!

message 3: by Perri (new)

Perri I know! Janet's stealthy like a ninja
Kirsten, I saw what you wrote about Ruth Rendell. I have another of her books on my TBR list-not one of those that Melanie has in her list. Is there one in particular you fancy?

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7903 comments Not one in particular. I just love her style.

message 5: by Perri (new)

Perri Kirsten wrote: "Not one in particular. I just love her style."

Awesome when that happens

message 6: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5670 comments Mod
Ninja stealth!! I wish!! 🙂😎

message 7: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1096 comments Wow! I was just given a stack of Patterson books. Step on a Crack, Pop Goes the Weasel, When the Wind Blows, Along Came a Spider, & Four Blind Mice. I wish I could read faster.

message 8: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 872 comments It is your lucky day!!

message 9: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1096 comments Absolutely, Vicki - although I have read Along Came A Spider (so long ago I've forgotten what it is about). Lots of choices for the marathon on Saturday.

message 10: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 4514 comments I hope one of my books win

message 11: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 526 comments I almost forgot about the marathon - looking forward to it!

message 12: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 872 comments Yes, me too!
My son (youngest one) turns 18 on Saturday!! I can't believe it. How time times flies. We had his family party already so I don't know what we will do for his actual day. I have a feeling he will be doing something with the girlfriend, so I will have a good amount of reading time. lol

message 13: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 4514 comments Vicki Willis your son has the same birthday as my cousin and my friend

message 14: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 863 comments i just posted my May books please go vote. im voting now.

message 15: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 863 comments I just finished The Great Alone and I loved it. now i want to know what happened to them. i hope she writes another book to let us know what happens to them.

Perri, yes I will join you with your True Crime journey for the month. I also want to read the book that Vicki had read also. Let me know when everyone gets started with it. Bitterharvest is in the lead so for far May.

message 16: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1096 comments I have a true crime that I haven't read yet. Sounds real good. Beneath a Ruthless Sun A True Story of Violence, Race, and Justice Lost and Found by Gilbert King Beneath a Ruthless Sun: A True Story of Violence, Race, and Justice Lost and Found.

message 17: by Perri (new)

Perri Patricia, that's one I have on my TBR list

Just started The Heart's Invisible Furies Anyone else?

message 18: by Patricia (last edited Apr 11, 2019 10:30PM) (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1096 comments Perri wrote: "Patricia, that's one I have on my TBR list

Just started The Heart's Invisible Furies Anyone else?"

I don't happen to have that book but I would like to hear you comments about it.

message 19: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 526 comments Perri - I am going to start this weekend. I have heard really good things, so I am looking forward to it!

message 20: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 863 comments Melanie, I just finished If the Creek don't Rise. I loved it. I just had to get use to their dialect.

message 23: by Perri (new)

Perri Tonya, I've started my tied second place books CIrce and The Heart's Invisable Furies. You're way ahead of me.

Dana I'm really sucked into THIF. Wow a tough time and place to live-and really not that long ago! Cyril really got stuck with a humdinger pair of parents, I mean ADOPTIVE parents :)

message 24: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 526 comments me too Perri!! Right from the first "section" with his birth mom. Poor kid - I have a feeling there will be a few sad parts!

message 25: by Patricia (last edited Apr 18, 2019 08:31PM) (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1096 comments I believe Sweetpea (Sweetpea, #1) by C.J. Skuse is going to be my winner for May - Since I have finished my April read, I have started to read The Anomaly by Michael Rutger which is a real page turner.

message 26: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Tonya wrote: "i just posted my May books please go vote. im voting now."

I voted late but my votes are up now Tonya. There are two Melanie’s up this month...please vote for me if you have time. I understand how busy life can be. Happy Easter!

message 27: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Perri wrote: "Patricia, that's one I have on my TBR list

Just started The Heart's Invisible Furies Anyone else?"

I may join in, I’ve had a copy of that on my bedside for several months.

message 28: by Perri (new)

Perri Looks like The Onion Field for me!

message 29: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 863 comments Perri, we also have it at my library Im planning on getting it also.

Im waiting for Bittersweet to come in largeprint. It should be anyday hopefully.

message 30: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 863 comments Ihave got to THIF from interloan, library then Im reading it also.

message 31: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1096 comments I had a discussion with a client today that was somewhat disturbing. He was complaining about the salary of the chief librarian in his city and also complained that libraries are a waste of money. Since I was in a hurry, I didn't argue with him. I would love to know what any of you would have said to him.

message 32: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7903 comments Patricia wrote: "I had a discussion with a client today that was somewhat disturbing. He was complaining about the salary of the chief librarian in his city and also complained that libraries are a waste of money. ..."

If he's a client, I don't know what I would've said other than I disagreed with him. It's so hard to have disagreements these days without wondering what the other person would do.

When you think of all the services libraries provide though, ours puts on talks, provides free help for seniors doing taxes, provides free wi-fi and computers, has DVDs to rent, etc.

A friend of mine says her library even does passports.

message 33: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 526 comments That's a hard one Patricia! Especially if he is a client and you had to be professional. I don't know what a lot of people, including myself, would do without the library. Also, any time I go in, which is during the day, it is quite busy so obviously I am not alone. I work for the local government so I do know the chief librarian makes a ton of money, about 3X what I make, so it is a lot, but maybe its justified...

Side note: our provincial government stopped the interloan program, so I see the impact just shutting that down already has :(

message 34: by Perri (new)

Perri Wow, have to say I've never heard that one before. For me it's like the heart of the community with so many across the board benefits as Kirsten listed. Yeah, since he's client, I guess you can't lead with ignorant ninny :)

message 35: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1096 comments Our County library system offers some important children's programs. They have the normal story time but I happened to see the children reading to dogs. Also, the after school area for the high school students is filled in the afternoon. There is also book clubs for all ages that are popular.

message 36: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7903 comments Ours does family/kids movie nights complete with popcorn, they bring authors in, they do forums for home schoolers and even provide kits for lessons...

message 37: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 863 comments I finished All American Murder by James Patterson. It was very good.

message 38: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 872 comments Glad you enjoyed it Tonya.

message 39: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 863 comments Thank you Vicki. I'm currently reading Britt Marie was here. I'm half way finished and enjoying the cute read.

message 40: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Tonya wrote: "I finished All American Murder by James Patterson. It was very good."

Is that one a true crime Tonya?
I’m not a true crime reader...but I did used to like James Patterson. I haven’t read him lately , I found that his books weren’t as enjoyable after he started pumping out so many of them so quickly ( he’s not the only author I struggle with this problem)

message 41: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 178 comments I started my May book last night , Black Out. 121 pages in and I'm hooked! Thanks everyone 🙂

message 42: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 863 comments Yes Melanie it is true crime by James Patterson. He has several at my library that is true crime.

message 43: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Thanks Tonya maybe I will grab that one from the library. I do like stories based in fact. I have just never extended that to “true crime”. I guess sometimes that genre can seem voyeuristic to me s opposed to storytelling.
If anyone has recommendations please let me know.

message 44: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1023 comments My May winner is The Death of Mrs. Westaway. It's a long weekend in the UK this weekend so I'm about to leave work to go and pick it up from the library ready for a weekend of reading. I've started a new project of building my own miniature pond out of an old large plant pot so the amount of reading I do this weekend will largely depend on whether I finish my water feature!

message 45: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments The Silent Girl (Rizzoli & Isles, #9) by Tess Gerritsen is my May winner, really looking forward to continuing with this series it been far too long. Sorry I've not been about much to chat, it's been crazy busy at work and I've not had time for much reading. I am still trying to finish my April book The Bone Field (The Bone Field #1; DI Ray Mason #2) by Simon Kernick

message 46: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 526 comments Sounds cool Sophie! Too bad you can't share photos on here.

Mandy - I love this series so much, and I really liked the show too!! The relationship between Rizzoli & Isles is so good/fun in the show.

message 47: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 872 comments I will be reading Little Boy Lost this month along with my April read as well! Time to get caught up!

message 48: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 863 comments I will be reading Bitterharvest by Ann Rule as soon as it come in in large print. The print in the current book is solo small.lol

message 49: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1096 comments Sweetpea (Sweetpea, #1) by C.J. Skuse Sweetpea is my winner. I am currently finishing The Anomaly (The Anomaly Files, #1) by Michael Rutger The Anomaly which is an excellent scary story. It should definitely be made into a movie.

message 50: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7903 comments Looks like I'm going to the dogs this month. I'm starting Bride & Groom by Susan Conant today.

« previous 1