Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

Gone with the Wind
This topic is about Gone with the Wind
Archive Hefty/Husky > 2019 Gone with the Wind (april thru june)

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Claire (last edited Mar 30, 2019 01:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Claire  | 241 comments . Margaret Mitchell's monumental epic of the South won a Pulitzer Prize, gave rise to the most popular motion picture of our time, and inspired a sequel that became the fastest selling novel of the century. It is one of the most popular books ever written: more than 28 million copies of the book have been sold in more than 37 countries. Today, more than 60 years after its initial publication, its achievements are unparalleled, and it remains the most revered American saga and the most beloved work by an American writer.
First published in 1936
Pulitzer Prize for Novel (1937), National Book Award for Novel (1936)

Claire  | 241 comments Who will be reading it? If you haven’t yet, it is a must read.

message 4: by Samantha, Cajun Literary Belle (new) - added it

Samantha Matherne (cajunliterarybelle) | 2408 comments Mod
I plan to read the book. I’m just working on some other stuff first. I’ve never read the book or seen the movie, so the entire experience will be new for me.

message 5: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rosemarie | 8296 comments Mod
I started this book over two weeks ago since I wanted to finish it before I went on a holiday trip April 20. I am about 60% into the book.
I have seen the movie numerous times and enjoyed it, but it was focussed on Scarlett. (But it did have Clark Gable, perfectly cast as Rhett Butler)
The book has much more detail about the other characters and historical events, so I am finding it a more rewarding experience. Scarlett really got on my nerves in the movie, but in the book you find out why she behaved the way she did.

I will explain in more detail at the end of the reading period, when most members have finished the book.

Gilbert | 788 comments Read it in high school. Seen the movie a couple of times. Never really felt the urge to reread it or see it again.
Sorry.

message 7: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 3 stars

This is definitely the only time I will be reading it, since it is so very long. I am enjoying it, but I am reading other books at the same time so that I can focus on it more when I am reading it.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 186 comments I have read it before and it is wonderful. I will see if I can squeeze it in.

Inese Okonova | 69 comments I have read it several times. The first time at the age of ten during the last years of USSR when it was finally allowed and translated in Latvian. Actually it was an instant bestseller and believe it or not people were standing in very, very, very long queues at the book shops and were happy if knew somebody in this trade. Anyway I remember how much I hated Scarlett and loved Melanie back then. The last time I read it some years ago when I already had two of my three children. It could not be different. Now I really appreciated the main heroine and the ways she acted. Although I still loved Melanie. For me the historical background was also really interesting.
The movie is really good, but for me the book is much better and deeper.
I really hope those who have not read it will enjoy the book.

Claire  | 241 comments I have read it 3 times when I was younger. I will try to read it or listen to an audiobook.

message 11: by Samantha, Cajun Literary Belle (new) - added it

Samantha Matherne (cajunliterarybelle) | 2408 comments Mod
Earlier this week I worked on getting my mom set up on Goodreads (it’s a process that will take time). As we were discussing books whose titles she could actually remember having read, she raved about how wonderful Gone with the Wind is. She apparently read the book just before her little town’s local theater had a special showing of the movie back, when she was in high school. She told me the movie is not nearly as good and that I should really read the book. My copy is sitting on my bedside table waiting to be tackled VERY soon.

message 12: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 3 stars

I have now read 82% of the book and my main issue is the length. I am going to finish it this weekend, if I have to stay up to the wee small hours to do it.
I am enjoying the extra depth in the book as compared to the movie.

Claire  | 241 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I have now read 82% of the book and my main issue is the length. I am going to finish it this weekend, if I have to stay up to the wee small hours to do it.
I am enjoying the extra depth in the boo..."

Did you finish it?

message 14: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 3 stars

I did finish it and found the last 200 pages heavy going. I really did not like the author's one-sided view of the post Civil War period--and the book was just too long. I gave it three stars because I really liked the first half of the book.

Claire  | 241 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I did finish it and found the last 200 pages heavy going. I really did not like the author's one-sided view of the post Civil War period--and the book was just too long. I gave it three stars becau..."

I understand that, but I allways try to see things a bit in a historic context. But so often it is hard:-)
I loved the book but read it when I was young and very romantic:-)

message 16: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 3 stars

I think age does make a difference when you read a book for the first time.
I wonder how much research the author did before she wrote this remarkable book.

Doreen Petersen I hope everyone enjoys this hefty classic as much as I did!

message 18: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 3 stars

The first half of the book was terrific. Scarlett is a feisty woman who has more strength than she realizes. After her pampered upbringing, she is the one who gets things done and helps them survive.

message 19: by Mikiko (new)

Mikiko (mikikoschot) | 142 comments I remember decades ago spending a whole day watching the movie (DVD's still in my attic) but yet have never read the book though I had the intention to do so at the time. At the moment reading another classic so will have to put this on my TBR list. Possibly for a winter read? Also, has anyone read any of the prequels or sequels? If so, are they worth the read?

message 20: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Lesle | 5606 comments Mod
I had no idea there were such reads. You have peeked my curiosity to check them out!

Rosemarie did you know or have read them?

message 21: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 3 stars

I have only read the book by Mitchell. I generally don't read sequels if they're not by the original authors.