2021 Reading Challenge discussion

The Circle
This topic is about The Circle
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2019 > The Circle

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (last edited Mar 30, 2019 12:41PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ilona | 3739 comments This thread is to discuss The Circle by Dave Eggers.

Pages: 493 pages

Length: 1 Month

Participants: Joan and Lindsay

Everyone reads at their own pace during a Buddy Read. Because participants can be at different parts of the book at different times, it is extremely important to mark spoilers so that the book is not ruined for someone who is not as far along as others!

Mark spoilers by placing {spoiler} before the text and {/spoiler} after the text but use the < and > instead of the { and }.

Happy Buddy Reading!

Lindsay | 1311 comments I've made a start on this book. There are no chapters just 3 parts so it's not so easy to say where I'm up to. I'm reading on Kindle so it's 15% on there. So far it's a description of a total utopia. Sounds like the best place to work. However! As I'm reading I feel like I can hear the Jaws theme tune in the background. There is a definite undercurrent of menace. Or is there?

Joan Barnett | 790 comments Lindsay wrote: "I've made a start on this book. There are no chapters just 3 parts so it's not so easy to say where I'm up to. I'm reading on Kindle so it's 15% on there. So far it's a description of a total utopi..."

Oh good - I'm planning on starting this one today. I actually found a signed copy at the library for a $1 - crazy.

Joan Barnett | 790 comments I just finished Book 1. I find the format a little weird with there being no chapters and just books.

I am interested in the story though. I'm intrigued about what is going to happen. (view spoiler)

Lindsay - how are you coming along on it? I can see how this book might not be for everyone. I was a lover of The Firm by John Grisham and this sort of reminds me of that in ways.

Lindsay | 1311 comments I'm finished now. I enjoyed it enough to watch the film which is quite different from the book. I think one of the reasons I was so interested is that at work everyone got new contracts last year and they stipulate the use of technology. There are people really struggling with that and somehow it made The Circle seem more realistic. I'm not going to say too much until you are finished...

Joan Barnett | 790 comments Lindsay wrote: "I'm finished now. I enjoyed it enough to watch the film which is quite different from the book. I think one of the reasons I was so interested is that at work everyone got new contracts last year a..."

I finished it yesterday and watched the movie last night. I liked what they changed in the movie. It is what I would've changed in the book. I actually think I liked the movie better than the book.

I thought the book had a great premise but wasn't executed as well as I thought it could be.
(view spoiler)

What did you think of it?

Lindsay | 1311 comments As each extra screen was added to Mae's desk it made me think of my job so much. You just find a way to cope with an increased workload and you get told that you're doing great and here's another plate to keep spinning. I do think it was probably a fairly accurate reflection of the future and the aspirations of some of the big companies.

(view spoiler)

Joan Barnett | 790 comments Lindsay wrote: "As each extra screen was added to Mae's desk it made me think of my job so much. You just find a way to cope with an increased workload and you get told that you're doing great and here's another p..."

I agree with your assessment on how it might be how the companies will be in the future. And yes the increased workload - don't even want to talk about that!!

(view spoiler)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Circle (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Dave Eggers (other topics)