Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Early MG book titles - depression era

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trudy (new)

Trudy McDaniel | 30 comments Trying to come up with a list of early mg titles in which the story occurs in the depression. Suggestions?

message 2: by Leone (new)

Leone Anderson (lcanderson) | 51 comments I'm working on revisions to my m/g book set in that time - but it covers a trip on the newly-opened Route 66. I'll be interested to learn if there are titles covering that era, too.

message 3: by Justine (new)

Justine Laismith (justinelaismith) | 312 comments Esperanza Rising ? It’s MG but not sure it’s early MG.

message 4: by Trudy (last edited Mar 30, 2019 03:25PM) (new)

Trudy McDaniel | 30 comments Yes, I've got that on my list and am looking at Bud, Not Buddy and Out of the Dust.

Edited to change book title ...

message 5: by Harley (new)

Harley Bennett | 96 comments A Year Down Yonder, 2001 Newbery winner.
The Mighty Miss Malone
Nowhere to Call Home

These are all fairly recent, but are good depression era stories.

The Secret School is pre-depression, 1925.

message 6: by Leone (new)

Leone Anderson (lcanderson) | 51 comments Thanks, Trudy and Harley, for your suggestions about Depression stories.

message 7: by Trudy (new)

Trudy McDaniel | 30 comments Harley wrote: "A Year Down Yonder, 2001 Newbery winner.
The Mighty Miss Malone
Nowhere to Call Home

These are all fairly recent, but are good depression era stories.
..."

I have not read A Long Way from Chicago or "A Year Down Yonder but have them as well as The Mighty Miss Malone. No luck with Nowhere to Call Home. I really like Avi so will check out The Secret School. Thanks!

message 9: by Trudy (new)

Trudy McDaniel | 30 comments Manybooks wrote: "The Velvet Room

Blue Willow

Thimble Summer

What the Moon Said

Winterbound

Thanks. A lot of titles to check out.!

Booky: A trilogy"

message 10: by Trudy (new)

Trudy McDaniel | 30 comments Found all but Blue Willow. Bought used copy of Booky: A trilogy. Thanks!

message 11: by Manybooks (last edited Mar 30, 2019 06:51PM) (new)

Manybooks | 332 comments Trudy wrote: "Found all but Blue Willow. Bought used copy of Booky: A trilogy. Thanks!"

I am glad you were able to find the Booky trilogy. It is great and much of it is based on the author's childhood. It really shows what Depression era Toronto was like.

message 12: by Trudy (new)

Trudy McDaniel | 30 comments I am glad you were able to find the Booky trilogy. It is great and much of it is based on the author's child..." I was excited that the story took place in Canada which made it more enticing. I like a broader look at the world, even if just a hop, skip and a jump over our northern border.

I'm finding that most fiction about the Great Depression is designated as Young Adult; it really depends upon the story being told and how it is told, as opposed to the era.

I wish my parents and their peers were still alive; I have so many more questions about their lives during those years now that I am older. I've encountered memoirs, biographies and related stories that are so much more meaningful than they were a few decades ago. I had the pleasure of listening to Steinbeck's "Grapes" recently and what a thrill to hear a voice, other than my own, read those beautiful passages. Now it is the turn of today's youth to learn a bit about the struggles many faced and the desperation behind migration ... perhaps opening discussions about the huge numbers of people today who are migrating and why and what they face.