Play Book Tag discussion

When My Name Was Keoko
This topic is about When My Name Was Keoko
Archive: Other Books > [Horizons] When My Name Was Keoko - Linda Sue Park - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1038 comments Park uses her own mother's experiences living in Japanese-occupied Korea during WWII as the basis for this story. It is told through alternating chapters by Sun-hee, 10 and her older brother, Tae-yul, 13. It covers 5 years starting in 1940 when the Japanese insist all Koreans take Japanese names. I liked that the story relates the attitudes and thoughts of the kids in age appropriate context in a society that hides facts from children and treats boys different from girls. You see their growth in maturity and understanding. You see them make decisions based on inadequate information. You see them learning about their friends and neighbors actions and discovering how they are seen on a societal stage. Highly recommended.

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7122 comments I almost picked this one Horizons, but in the end another won out-however, I may have to pick it up, your review intrigued me more!