Great African Reads discussion

Archived | French Noms 2019 > Jul-Aug 2019 | Nominations Northern Africa in French

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wim, French Readings (new)

Wim | 800 comments Mod
Here you can nominate books that were first published in French by authors from Northern Africa (Morocco, Algeria, Tunesia). Try to keep nominations to one per person - and you're welcome to second someone else's nomination.

In order to allow a maximum of people to join, easy reads are preferred! As well as books that are easily accessible.

Nominations will be closing in the first week of June.

Authors! Please note : Self-nomination is not allowed - but if you are an author and would like to promote your book, please feel free to do so in this folder. Thank you for your understanding!

message 2: by Wim, French Readings (last edited May 31, 2019 02:41PM) (new)

Wim | 800 comments Mod
We need to start nominating books for this July/August group read in French. Any suggestions?

I would like to nominate this 1961 classic that sits on my shelves waiting to be read: Les Damnés de la terre by author Frantz Fanon who lived in Algeria from 1953 on and who was strongly involved in the Algerian independence movement.

message 3: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valroos) | 299 comments Nice pick Wim! In turn, I will nominate L'amas ardent by Yamen Manai, which was one of the shortlisted books for the Prix Orange du livre en Afrique

message 4: by Orgeluse (new)

Orgeluse | 418 comments I would like to nominate Ce Pays Dont Je Meurs by Fawzia Zouari. It is available on Kindle and there is an English translation just in case.

message 5: by Wim, French Readings (new)

Wim | 800 comments Mod
Thanks for these wonderful nominations. You have until Friday to suggest more titles. I'll launch the poll this weekend.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura | 284 comments Hello! I have been out for a while and so happy to rejoin! I'd like to nominate Tunis Blues by Ali Becheur.

message 7: by Wim, French Readings (new)

Wim | 800 comments Mod
Thanks Laura for suggesting this interesting book. Here are the links: Tunis blues by Ali Bécheur.

message 8: by Wim, French Readings (new)

Wim | 800 comments Mod
Poll is up: you can vote here.

message 9: by Wim, French Readings (new)

Wim | 800 comments Mod
Les Damnés de la terre won the poll, closely followed by L'amas ardent. I set up the folders for the first one. Do you want to read the second one as well? Or would that be too much?

message 10: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valroos) | 299 comments I am fine with just sticking to les damnes de la terre.

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura | 284 comments yes same here Wim. Reading time is painfully little this summer. But I'm looking forward to this one!