Review Group discussion

You're not alone > "I'll review your book" emails

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianima) | 139 comments Hello everyone,

Do you get any unsolicited offers for book reviews? I'm starting to get them in my email junk folder quite a lot.

Some are fairly upfront about charging fees (not interested), like someone calling themselves "Rupert M."
Others are more opaque, but I'm suspicious after stumbling across so many scams or people just looking to make a few quid from a desperate author.

Anyone else had an email from a "Cheryl Jenner"? Anyone had any legitimate offers?

message 2: by Leland (new)

Leland Lydecker (lelandlydecker) | 38 comments I've been getting these since a few months after I published my first book. There seems to be a thriving industry of review sellers who advertise by spamming authors. I've never bitten, but I suspect the resulting review(s) would be just as poorly written and suspicious-sounding as the emails are.

message 3: by Gina (new)

Gina Karasek | 18 comments I do not answer these. If you click on their name to go to their profile page it will likely be set to private. I've seen other posts where authors warn that these are probably people looking to pirate your book. Several other authors answered these and sent them their book only to never hear from them again.

message 4: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianima) | 139 comments Yeah, I don't have any intention of responding.

message 5: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Emma Jaye | 4039 comments Mod
If they have a Goodreads profile, flag them to Goodreads, its against their TOC.

message 6: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianima) | 139 comments Will do :)

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary Elizabeth Hughes | 113 comments Yes, I have had several of these kinds of emails and yes, have had them from Cheryl Jenner. I haven't followed up on them.
Rhian wrote: "Hello everyone,

Do you get any unsolicited offers for book reviews? I'm starting to get them in my email junk folder quite a lot.

Some are fairly upfront about charging fees (not interested), l..."

message 8: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Pine (andrewpine) | 5 comments Just today I got e-mails from both "Cheryl Jenner" and "Rupert M.", I'm guessing these spam accounts saw my request for reviews here on Goodreads and contacted me through it.

Didn't reply to either.

message 9: by Hûw (new)

Hûw Steer | 2 comments So glad I’m not going mad! I’ve just had these emails from Cheryl Jenner, Rupert M and Jim J (twice!). Thank you guys for confirming my suspicions of their dodginess.

message 10: by J.C. (new)

J.C. Gatlin (jc_gatlin) | 44 comments I'm getting a lot of emails from them now too. It has to be a scam to pirate your book. I can't figure out how else they'd be making money. Go figure.

message 11: by Donnally (new)

Donnally Miller | 109 comments I also have received messages from Rupert M, Cheryl Jenner, Adriana Lucas, and JaniceReviews (Who is a Goodreads member, which makes her appear somewhat more legit).
I'm sure they don't do reviews. What do you think they are trying to get?

message 12: by Scott (new)

Scott Peters (scott_peters) | 67 comments I keep getting one from "Mary Jane Anderson" that says:

Hello,

I am Mary Jane Anderson (you can call me just MJ if you wish). I have been reviewing books of various genres for a while. If you are looking for a high quality, comprehensive and honest book review from an erudite reader, you search ends here. Currently I am offering first-rate editorial reviews to indie authors; however, authors who have published their books with traditional publishing houses are also welcome to submit their titles. For more details, please respond to this message.

Regards,
MJ

-----

I sent it to spam...

message 13: by Franca (new)

Franca (francaogbonnaya) | 219 comments Yup I fell for this when I first joined Goodreads. I sent one of them my book and heard nothing back. Then a friend warned me about how books are pirated. I shudder at the thought.

message 14: by Donnally (new)

Donnally Miller | 109 comments I received the same message from Mary Jane Anderson. I did a little research on her and found that she is a blogger and does write book reviews. However, she charges $50 for a review. Admittedly a bargain compared to Kirkus, but also a lot less cachet.

message 15: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Pine (andrewpine) | 5 comments Even if Mary Jane is legit, what is she offering for 50 bucks??? Just a "simple" review? You can have that for free through Booksprout's ARC's or similar sites. And if you're looking for paid reviews, there are several options out there, like The Prairies Book Review (which I've used myself - $30 for their "short review", which is about 130 words).

I've been hesitant to try out Kirkus because of their price, but the exposure it provides could be worth it, but I'm guessing that even with those prices it's probably not easy to have your submission accepted. Has anybody tried it successfully?

message 16: by Donnally (new)

Donnally Miller | 109 comments Given Kirkus' recommendation I decided to pay them for a review. If you pay them, they'll review your book; there's no submission process. I got about a 2 1/2 star review, which disappointed me, so I decided not to publish it.

message 17: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Pine (andrewpine) | 5 comments I think if the review is any good, they'll consider including it on their daily e-mail or something, but from what I could gather from their FAQ, chances are quite slim. Still, it's quite a lot of money for a review. Sorry to hear about your rating, I would try to get a second opinion, preferably a cheaper one. But I would opt for a more professional service than Mary Jane Anderson.

message 18: by Donnally (new)

Donnally Miller | 109 comments I couldn't agree more about Mary Jane Anderson.

message 19: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Ciarnau (elainebc) | 16 comments I've been getting a lot of those messages. They get deleted. With all the reviews you need, especially for a new writer, you would go broke. You want to review my book, I will gladly give you an iTunes Promo code. I'm not paying for it. I will review someones book for free. Writer helping another writer!

message 20: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Jaussaud | 16 comments I have paid for a Kirkus review, as they claim their reviewers are professionals. Well, the person who reviewed my book was not. His writing and choice of word were poor, somewhere at the level of a high schooler. It was obvious that he hadn’t read the whole book, just flipped through and picked up something to say here and there. It wasn’t a negative review, just a vague one. The conclusive line, probably written by someone else, was complimentary and I accepted the review so I could use it. An expensive line, though. I think Kirkus doesn’t assign professional reviewers to self-published books. So save your money.

message 21: by Donnally (new)

Donnally Miller | 109 comments I had much the same impression of the reviewer Kirkus assigned to my book. On the basis of my experience, I think they're overrated. But maybe that's just sour grapes.

message 22: by Eddie (new)

Eddie Jones (eddiejones) | 1 comments I sent her a reply with this page link and some if the above comments regarding MJ. Here is her canned email response:

Hello again,

Many thanks for your response. In order to submit your book for review, please visit:
http://iloveuniquebooks.com/

To contact me with any questions, please visit:
http://iloveuniquebooks.com/contact-me

Please DO NOT reply to this email. This inbox is not monitored.

Regards,
MJ

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Hill (wickedwriteruk) | 11 comments I've had the following spammers including one on here I flagged and the profile was taken down known as 'Linda Loves Books'. Others are; Adriana Lucas - who contacts saying she can't get your book details from your website, Cheryl Simmons, Rupert M, Jim J, Mary J Anderson - so some as previously mentioned. There is a website with my book scammed on 3 August called ankarasolaryum .com The catch is that if you download it, or any other 'free' book from many famous writers, you are also downloading pirate software and viruses! Nothing is free as the saying goes.

message 24: by Anjula (new)

Anjula Evans (anjulaevans) | 1 comments I was contacted by Rupert M, Mary J Anderson (in junk folder), Jim J. (in inbox), and someone named Eva Book through Goodreads (who I originally thought might be legit since they sent me the request via Goodreads) whose account has been deleted. I didn't send Eva anything but promoted my Amazon eBook for free for a day and referred Eva to it.

I didn't know these scams were going on until I just now googled Jim J. and found this topic and group on Goodreads. Thank you for saving me a lot of hassle!

How are these people getting our actual email addresses?

Eva Book sent me this (I removed their email address in case someone skims this post and thinks it's legit):

Hi,

If you are looking for reviews for your newest book, I am willing to read and review it. You can send me a review copy to **********@gmail.com. I accept epub, mobi and pdf formats. I am also available as a beta reader.

Please email me your queries at **********@gmail.com. I don't login to Goodreads often.

Eva

P.S. I don't have a Kindle Unlimited account.

message 25: by Elizabeth (last edited Dec 01, 2019 09:19AM) (new)

Elizabeth Hill (wickedwriteruk) | 11 comments Anjula wrote: "I was contacted by Rupert M, Mary J Anderson (in junk folder), Jim J. (in inbox), and someone named Eva Book through Goodreads (who I originally thought might be legit since they sent me the reques..."

I've flagged this one to Goodreads earlier. They contacted me through my author profile as Book_Lover_Eva.

message 26: by S (new)

S (bookworm1977) | 1 comments This a great post I have had messages from a Adriana Lucas and and a Eva both have gone in the bin. Thank you

message 27: by Ned (new)

Ned Huston | 37 comments I took a close look at Mary J. Anderson's web site since people on this forum seemed to be making assumptions. I was curious about what her business model is. Is she trying to gain credibility and a following and become the next Kirkus?

She really does post reviews, and she gets A LOT of repeat business from the authors who like her reviews.

I read dozens of these reviews to get an idea of what you can expect. I could not see anything remarkable about the passages she chose to quote from. Her praise often seems hyperbolic (to my sensibilities), but that's just my opinion. She has done hundreds of reviews in all genres. She seems to like some genres more than others and stated at one point that most science fiction is boring. She occasionally makes critical remarks but usually not. The criticisms are included with copious praise.

If you pay M. J., you will get praise, anywhere from a review that is one paragraph long to one that is two pages (the two-page reviews include a lot of quotations from your book). Your book will get four stars (out of five). How do I know this? Because every single book reviewed got four stars out of five. Every one. Even the books she singled out as "Books I Love" got 4 stars.

Maybe every book submitted to M. J. Anderson is of the same quality. I guess that's possible. Reading her reviews made me think otherwise. She seemed to favor some books over others. Her business model seems to be volume. She isn't aiming for credibility. She has done hundreds of reviews and seems to be contacting everyone who publishes something on Amazon. That's one place she finds authors' names. In fact, since I submitted my book during a weekend, the first indication I got that it had been published was an e-mail from Mary J. Anderson asking if I wanted a review.

Ned Huston

message 28: by Hector (new)

Hector Fenwick So, how do I get a review instead? I joined another reviewers' group on Goodreads recently and, being naive and new to this, I gave my email in my posts asking for reviews. I got some messages similar to the ones you talk about here. So, if, by asking for reviewers on Goodreads, all I get is frauds, what do I do instead?

PS- I sent my book to this blogger. Is she honest, or did I mess up?
http://sandrasbookclub.blogspot.com/

message 29: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen McKee (kmckee101) | 25 comments I, too, have been getting the same spam e-mails offering to review my books. I didn't reply to any of them because I assumed they all wanted money for their reviews. I want honest reviews, not bogus ones.

message 30: by Carole (last edited Dec 11, 2019 06:16PM) (new)

Carole P. Roman If you google book reviewers several sites do come up with lists of names. I just spent two days contacting about fifty bloggers and had a few bites. Most of them review the book on Goodreads and their blog. A few offer blog tours or other services, but none of them charge for a review.
Other than professional editorial reviews, you should never pay for a review. In fact, if a reviewer asks for money, don't respond. Amazon frowns on review exchanges between authors.
I have used all of the editorial services. I regularly get reviews on Kirkus, Foreword, Blue Ink, Book Trib, and Feathered Quill. Those reviews are expensive, but industry people do read them. You have the added bonus that if your book is given a starred review and gets selected for their magazine, the book is given a lot of exposure.
Someone mentioned they got a two-star review from Kirkus- Kirkus doesn't rate with stars (unless you get the single Kirkus star which is great). Foreword does a star rating. The good news is you can choose not to publish the review if you are not happy with the review.
I have gotten mixed reviews from all of these venues and found most of them to be valuable critiques, (even when I didn't like what was said). and they have helped me with future publications.

message 31: by Ned (new)

Ned Huston | 37 comments Carole, I like your post. Thanks for the tip about bloggers. You say one should never pay for a review, then say you pay for reviews on Kirkus etc. I think I get your point, but it's a little confusing.

Actually, I don't fault someone for getting their books reviewed by someone like Mary Jane Anderson, who always gives praise. She gets a lot of repeat business because authors need praise. We need favorable reviews to boost our sales, and we need them even more to boost our egos. If someone is not a very good writer, praise may be the only thing keeping them going. And if they don't continue writing, they'll never get better.

The person you mentioned from this forum is a good example. He didn't want to publish the Kirkus review he got because he said it was the equivalent of a two and a half star review, in other words, a middling review (he didn't actually say Kirkus gave him two and a half stars--he was only characterizing the level of praise). He wanted a review but only one that praised his book.

I've found I get more out of criticism than praise although I get a lot out of praise. So I agree with you that seeking honest reviews is the way to go. But some people just can't take criticism. They really can't. I got kicked out of my critique group for being too critical. I thought people wanted criticism, but they really wanted support. I admire someone like Mary Jane Anderson who reads all genres and finds something to praise. I believe she is sincere in liking what she reads because I can't imagine her continuing what she's doing otherwise. She doesn't give anyone five stars. I guess that's her way of being honest.

I got reviewed by Kirkus. I'm going to look into Foreword, Blue Ink, Book Trib, and Feathered Quill. Thanks for your fabulous post.

Indie Author Book Reviews | 2 comments I review indie authors only because I know the struggle of self published authors. When I review them I put the review on GoodReads,Amazon and Bookbub as well as my website. There is no cost for my review.

message 33: by Sean (new)

Sean Bai Andrew wrote: "Just today I got e-mails from both "Cheryl Jenner" and "Rupert M.", I'm guessing these spam accounts saw my request for reviews here on Goodreads and contacted me through it.

Didn't reply to either."

I also got an email from a Cheryl Simmons and probably a Rupert M. too, now that you mention it.

message 34: by Sean (last edited Feb 04, 2020 11:50AM) (new)

Sean Bai I got a message from Vena P. on Goodreads saying she could review my books.

Here's the message:

Hi,

If you are looking for reviews for your newest book, I am willing to read and review it. You can send me a review copy to purelybooks767@gmail.com. I accept epub, mobi and pdf formats. I am also available as a beta reader.

Please email me your queries at purelybooks767@gmail.com. I don't login to Goodreads often.

Vena

P.S. I don't have a Kindle Unlimited account.

(message ends here)

I don't believe this is real. After I sent her an email I got three emails in two days from people asking to review my books.

When I sent her a message on Goodreads confirming that I had sent her an email, she sent me the exact same message above, a second time.

Vena P. also has no profile pictures, no reviews, no friends, no nothing. So while I don't use Goodreads very often either, I have activity on my account.

Don't trust this message. If somebody is really willing to review your book, they'd probably have, I don't know, book reviews on Goodreads and/or Amazon.

message 35: by Rita (new)

Rita Chapman I put a block on these emails as they come through, because they keep sending the same message.

message 36: by J.P. (new)

J.P. Biddlecome (jpbiddlecome) | 7 comments Yes, I get a ton of these, and most are in the same format. I also had a scammer on goodreads named Purelybooks.

message 37: by D.A. (new)

D.A. Smith (dasmithlq) | 3 comments I got multiple emails from "Rupert M" and "Jim J." Thanks to you guys, both went straight to the Spam bucket.

But I also got--unsolicited--emails from "Author & Book Promotions" with an email of jewelx7@aol.com and "Weekly Authors" from weeklyauthors@gmail.com. Both have websites and Facebook pages, however...

I did not solicit these emails, which makes me leery. Anybody hear of these outfits?

Thanks,

Dennis

message 38: by J.P. (new)

J.P. Biddlecome (jpbiddlecome) | 7 comments D.A., I have not heard of them.

message 39: by D.A. (new)

D.A. Smith (dasmithlq) | 3 comments J.P. wrote: "D.A., I have not heard of them."

OK, My friend Tony Harris and I checked them out some more. A&BP seems legit, if pricey.

I just had an enlightening conversation with Preditors and Editors on Facebook about the other.

They agreed we were right to be suspicious--unsolicited emails, high pressure sales tactics, being anything but honest & up front about what they're doing and how they're doing it--maybe they are legit, but we're giving them a pass right now.

I'm considering taking down a post I made yesterday asking for more info as that might be giving them free promotion, and I have too much love for you all to do that.

Peace,

Dennis

message 40: by Grace (new)

Grace Herbst Thank goodness I found this discussion. All of a sudden, I began to get book reviews requests and I didn't know whether they were legit or not. The people didn't match the emails so I didn't think they were real. I received a couple from Verna, Jim J. and Cheryl Simmons. I've never responded to any of them though.

message 41: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Stanley (rachel21stanley) | 2 comments Like Grace I am so glad I have found this thread! I'm now getting unsolicited emails asking if I want my book reviewed. I think the mistake I made was to respond to Vena P (stupidly assuming it was legitimate because it came through Goodreads) and now my email address is out there.

Is ever safe to send a PDF of your book to anyone? Surely that makes it really easy to pirate it?

Thanks all. Rachel

message 42: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Emma Jaye | 4039 comments Mod
Please be very wary of those asking for physical copies too.
You'll never get a review and they get physical copies to sell online or in markets at your expense

message 43: by Mary (new)

Mary Markstrom | 70 comments I wish I'd seen this thread earlier. I got an email from Vena offering to review my book. I've just sent a PDF of my book. I hope it's not a scam.

message 44: by Zita (new)

Zita Harrison | 127 comments Mary wrote: "I wish I'd seen this thread earlier. I got an email from Vena offering to review my book. I've just sent a PDF of my book. I hope it's not a scam."

Me too. Twice. I sent her my book the first time and got no review. Didn't know there were scammers going through Goodreads. :(

message 45: by Rita (new)

Rita Rowe | 1 comments I just found this. I am so worried right now. I sent a Vena my manuscript last week and clearly she's a fake. Does anyone know what the scam is? Is she taking my work or is it a scam to get other reviewers to make contact?

message 46: by D.L. (last edited May 29, 2020 12:22PM) (new)

D.L. Lang (poetryebook) I would guess that these people pirate your book on other platforms.

What’s funny is that I often run free promos where people can download my book legally, so I’m suspicious of people asking me to email them copies when it’s already a free book.

A couple days ago someone sent a message to my contact form that they had trouble finding my books on my website. Shortly after my kind response to “Brenda” aka backlinkbuildarinblog, I began receiving multiple “give me a free book to review” solicitations from these gmail accounts, including the aforementioned Vena, Rupert, Mary Jane, Jim, and Cheryl:

fatlossplrryo3t
authorsrevyt87
purelybooks767
bookstweet564
doungd56

I have added all of them to my blocked senders, and marked the messages as junk. I advise you all to do the same.

message 47: by Mila (last edited Jun 14, 2020 10:59AM) (new)

Mila Nicks (milanicks) | 1 comments D.L. wrote: "I would guess that these people pirate your book on other platforms.

What’s funny is that I often run free promos where people can download my book legally, so I’m suspicious of people asking me t..."

I just got an email with someone using thebacklinkbuildarinblog gmail email claiming they can't find info on my book, but that makes no sense as I have info on my website (the means by which they contacted me/my website submission form) AND there is info up on Goodreads and Amazon. I'm so glad I found this thread because I googled the email address and it led me here.

I also just received an email from Jim minutes after offering to review my book. I marked him as spam.

message 48: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Volz | 1 comments Mila wrote: "D.L. wrote: "I would guess that these people pirate your book on other platforms.

What’s funny is that I often run free promos where people can download my book legally, so I’m suspicious of peopl..."

Mila - I just got an instagram message from the same thebacklinkbuildarinblog gmail saying they had a question they had about one of my books that they shouldn't ask in public, could I email them...uh, thank you, no. And Block. Glad I saw your post. Thanks :)

message 49: by Danelle (new)

Danelle Deonath (danelle_deonath) | 2 comments Same. I've started getting these same emails and was confused about them.

message 50: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Arsenault | 1 comments I received similar solicitation from someone going by the name Letha Raymond on Facebook, also using the email backlinkbuildarinblog@gmail.com. Will be blocking and reporting the account. Glad I found this thread!

« previous 1