Play Book Tag discussion

The Tattooist of Auschwitz (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #1)
This topic is about The Tattooist of Auschwitz
March 2019: Debut > [Trim] The Tattooist of Auschwitz - Heather Morris - 3.5*

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elise (ellinou) | 524 comments 3.5 stars

In 1942, Lale, a Slovakian Jew, gets sent to Auschwitz, where, because of luck and his knowledge of multiple languages, he becomes the Tätowierer, the prisoner who tattoos other prisoners as they come into the camp. His position in the camp allows him some liberties, which he uses to smuggle jewelry out of the camp to buy food to smuggle back to his friends. He also falls in love with Gita, a fellow prisoner he tattoos, and promises himself they'll both make it out of the camp and get married. Which they eventually do.

I finished this book a week ago, and while coming out of it I thought I was going to give it five stars, as time went on my rating changed. Not because the book was bad, but because it faded so quickly from my mind... I loved reading it and it was very touching, but in the end nothing really stuck out to me. I think this was an important story to tell though, and I'm glad I read it.

I did come across an article recently criticizing the book for falsehoods and problems with certain passages and character portrayals, so :/

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7117 comments This one is on my TBR-I almost put it on my 36 list, but in the end just left it on the shelf. I do want to get to it.

Isn't it funny how we can change our perception of a book in a weeks time-I normally do not do a review right when I finish, just for this reason. Sometimes the words and characters just need to settle in my brain before I make a judgement. Unless, of course, I really loved it, or just hated it.

Elise (ellinou) | 524 comments Yeah, I really should ake myself take some time before I review. I find myself going through my read books, seeing books I rated five stars and barely remembering what they were about. If I'd waited before noting them I probably woud have given them a 4.

Susie | 4488 comments I have had the opposite experience in that it has stayed with me even though I read it just after it was released. I listened to the audio and I can still hear Richard Armitage’s voice.

message 5: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3775 comments I've had this on my TBR for a while- the cover art stuck out at me at Barnes and Noble one time. Hopefully will get to it when I'm in the WWII mood again.