English Translations of Scandinavian/Nordic Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Group read-alongs > April 2019 - read-along

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Mar 30, 2019 09:02AM) (new)

Ken Fredette (klfredette) | 4232 comments Mod
We have four books to choose from so far this month, they are: 1) A Change of Time A Change of Time by Ida Jessen by Ida Jessen Ida Jessen to be published 9 April 2019. Denmark.

Through winding diary entries, A Change of Time pieces together the life of a schoolteacher after her husband, the town doctor, passes away. Set in rural Denmark in the early 20th century, the entries form an intimate portrait of a woman rebuilding her identity. Her thoughts unravel in sudden bursts, followed by quiet meditation rhythmic passing of each day. She writes, “Memory is like a sieve. Everything runs through it,” and indeed Ida Jessen’s prose conveys the constant feeling of falling through a sieve, grasping at each thought and gesture before they are lost. With quiet adamance, the narrator gives the reader room to think and breathe. She casts a furtive light or an unsettling silence, both attempting to find her voice and yearning for complete solitude.

2) Occupied: A Novel Based on a True Story Occupied A Novel Based on a True Story by Kurt Blorstad by Kurt Blorstad Kurt Blorstad to be published 9 April 2019. Norway.

As WW II breaks out, a father finds himself in the U.S. while his wife and sons are home in occupied Norway. Based on the son’s true-life journals from 1935-1945, this is the story of a family separated by war and uncertainty.

3) The Department of Sensitive Crimes The Department of Sensitive Crimes (Detective Varg #1) by Alexander McCall Smith by Alexander McCall Smith Alexander McCall Smith to be published 16 April 2019. Sweden.

In the Swedish criminal justice system, certain cases are considered especially strange and difficult, in Malm�, the dedicated detectives who investigate these crimes are members of an elite squad known as the Sensitive Crimes Division.

These are their stories.

The first case: the small matter of a man stabbed in the back of the knee. Who would perpetrate such a crime and why? Next: a young woman's imaginary boyfriend goes missing. But how on earth do you search for someone who doesn't exist? And in the final investigation: eerie secrets that are revealed under a full moon may not seem so supernatural in the light of day. No case is too unusual, too complicated, or too, well insignificant for this squad to solve.

The team: Ulf 'the Wolf" Varg, the top dog, thoughtful and diligent; Anna Bengsdotter, who's in love with Varg's car (and possibly Varg too); Carl Holgersson, who likes nothing more than filling out paperwork; and Erik Nykvist, who is deeply committed to fly fishing.

With the help of a rather verbose local police officer, this crack team gets to the bottom of cases other detectives can't or won't bother to handle. Equal parts hilarious and heartening, The Department of Sensitive Crimes is a tour de farce from a true master.

4) Lost in the Woods Lost in the Woods (Jon Østergård Book 2) by Christoffer Petersen by Christoffer Petersen Christoffer Petersen to be published 23 April 2019. Denmark.

When his daughter goes missing in Alaska, a wildlife biologist must track a wolf pack if he is to rescue her from a gang of predators.
The Danish summer of the wolf has left its mark on Emma Østergård, so when she decides she needs time and space to recover, Jon agrees for her to visit Alaska. But when Emma’s path crosses that of an alpha wolf, Jon must assist the Alaska State Troopers to help them find his daughter before the real predators cover their tracks.

Lost in the Woods continues the story of wolf biologist Jon Østergård and his teenage daughter, Emma. Several characters from Paint the Devil (book 1) return to continue the drama of what happens when the paths and territories of wolves and men are crossed.

Lost in the Woods is set in Denmark and Alaska, blending Arctic Noir with Scandinavian Crime.

As always we will add books as soon as they are known to be published in April of 2019. Good reading.

message 2: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Intrigo Intrigo by Håkan Nesser by Håkan Nesser Håkan Nesser published 9 April 2019. Sweden.

For fans of Scandinavian crime, Intrigo is the gripping collection of Håkan Nesser’s best novellas and short stories, three of which have been adapted into major motion pictures.

Set in the fictional city of Maardam, each story is linked by themes of secrets coming to light, lies being exposed, and pasts coming back to haunt the people who thought they had fled them – all told in Håkan Nesser’s signature style of dark, cutting prose that displays a true understanding of human nature.

The collection is the basis for a trilogy of international films - Dear Agnes, Death of an Author and Samaria -directed by Daniel Alfredson and starring Ben Kingsley and Gemma Chan.

message 3: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 250 comments Ken wrote: "Intrigo Intrigo by Håkan Nesser by Håkan Nesser Håkan Nesser published 9 April 2019. Sweden.

For fans of Scandinavian crime, Intrigo is th..."

I've had one of his books sitting in my piles for at least a decade. This collection sounds very appealing. Think I’ll read this as an introduction to his writing. Thanks Ken

message 4: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 250 comments Can’t find this in English yet so will have to add it to my list & continue to wait...

message 5: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Apr 17, 2019 11:56AM) (new)

Icewineanne wrote: "Can’t find this in English yet so will have to add it to my list & continue to wait..."

I found it on Amazon, it is in English and the first one to come up. It's expensive hardcover $22.50 and $19.10 for paperback. Seems it is the only kind of book to offer under Håkan Nesser. No E-book yet, except Italian.

message 6: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Apr 17, 2019 11:29AM) (new)

So Much Longing in So Little Space: The Art of Edvard Munch So Much Longing in So Little Space The Art of Edvard Munch by Karl Ove Knausgaard by Karl Ove Knausgaard was Published 26 March 2019. Norway.

Literary giant Karl Ove Knausgaard offers a brilliant and personal assessment of the famous expressionist painter, his Norwegian compatriot, Edvard Munch

Karl Ove Knausgaard's renowned sui generis autobiographical works, both the My Struggle and Four Seasons series, have been celebrated for their passionate and original engagement with art and their insightful critical excursions. But never before in English has Knausgaard published a true work of nonfiction. With this daring sweeping study, in characteristic style, Knausgaard combines piercing artistic insight with freewheeling historical, biographical, and autobiographical digressions, bringing to life Munch's emotionally and psychologically intense work with extraordinary and fitting feeling and urgency. Munch has long been most famous for his iconic work The Scream, but a series of important and comprehensive exhibitions with major galleries in both London and New York have promoted a recent surge of interest.

A singular and exceptionally stylish work of art criticism, and a perfect match of subject and author, So Much Longing in So Little Space, which will include reproductions of a number of Munch's most significant paintings, will be an essential and fascinating volume for both Knausgaard's legion of loyal readers and devotees of the visual arts alike.

This is not Crime but is General Fiction.

message 7: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Made in Sweden: 25 ideas that created a country Made in Sweden 25 ideas that created a country by Elisabeth Åsbrink by Elisabeth Åsbrink Elisabeth Åsbrink published 30 April 2019. Sweden.

What are the real Swedish Values? Who is the real Swedish Model?

In recent times, we have come to favour all things Scandi — their food, furnishings, fiction, fashion, and general way of life. We seem to regard the Swedes and their Scandinavian neighbours as altogether more sophisticated, admirable, and evolved than us. We have all aspired to be Swedish, to live in their perfectly designed society from the future. But what if we have invested all our faith in a fantasy? What if Sweden has in fact never been as moderate, egalitarian, dignified, or tolerant as it would like to (have us) think? The recent rise to political prominence of an openly neo-Nazi party has begun to crack the illusion, and here now is Swede Elisabeth Åsbrink, who loves her country ‘but not blindly’, presenting twenty-five of her nation’s key words and icons afresh, in order to give the world’s understanding of Swedish Values a short, sharp corrective shock …

Not Crime but General Fiction.

message 8: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (last edited Apr 17, 2019 02:46PM) (new)

Sharon | 2420 comments Mod
I downloaded iBook for 7.99.

Intrigo
by Håkan Nesser

For fans of Scandinavian crime, Intrigo is the gripping collection of Håkan Nesser’s best novellas and short stories, three of which have been adapted into major motion pictures.

Set in the fictional city of Maardam, each story is linked by themes of secrets coming to light, lies being exposed, and pasts coming back to haunt the people who thought they had fled them – all told in Håkan Nesser’s signature style of dark, cutting prose that displays a true understanding of human nature.

The collection is the basis for a trilogy of international films - Dear Agnes, Death of an Author and Samaria -directed by Daniel Alfredson and starring Ben Kingsley and Gemma Chan.

(less)
GET A COPY
AmazonOnline Stores ▾Libraries
Kindle Edition
Published April 9th 2019 by Mantle (first published January 9th 2018)
Original TitleIntrigo
ASINB07F9JT6YZ
Other Editions (10)

message 9: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 250 comments Ken wrote: "Icewineanne wrote: "Can’t find this in English yet so will have to add it to my list & continue to wait..."

I found it on Amazon, it is in English and the first one to come up. It's expensive hard..."

I checked amazon here & no listing for english in any format yet, it’s only available in German (comes up first) followed by Italian 😢

message 10: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Icewineanne wrote: "Ken wrote: "Icewineanne wrote: "Can’t find this in English yet so will have to add it to my list & continue to wait..."

I found it on Amazon, it is in English and the first one to come up. It's ex..."

Which book? Perhaps time for you to switch to digital reading if it’s Intrigo.....it came out last year and is rather okay price wise at €7.99 IMHO.....

message 11: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (last edited Apr 17, 2019 10:12PM) (new)

Ken wrote: "Icewineanne wrote: "Can’t find this in English yet so will have to add it to my list & continue to wait..."

I found it on Amazon, it is in English and the first one to come up. It's expensive hard..."

Several languages available iBook Apple and very good price, as usual at €7.99! iBook is often very much quicker with international authors and better prices in my experience.... I downloaded when I read this. I read no paper for years now and use my iPad and iPhone. Amazon Kindle APP is often more expensive and later.....from here in Europe......

message 12: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 250 comments Thanks! I’ll check it out 😊

message 13: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Apr 20, 2019 01:34PM) (new)

Two books by Christoffer Petersen Christoffer Petersen and they are Qivittoq: A short story of theft and redemption in the Arctic Qivittoq A short story of theft and redemption in the Arctic (Arctic Shorts Book 6) by Christoffer Petersen March 31, 2019. Greenland.

When a pattern for an East Greenlandic national costume is stolen Constable David Maratse must find the thief before they are expelled from the community.
Qivittoq is the sixth in a series of novellas to feature Constable David Maratse in Greenland. Each novella is set during Maratse’s career as a police constable, and features aspects of Greenlandic culture, tradition, and not least the stunning natural environment.

The series includes:

Katabatic Container Tupilaq The Last Flight The Heart that was a Wild Garden Qivittoq
You can read more about David Maratse in The Greenland Trilogy of action thrillers, starting with The Ice Star, and in his own series of Greenland Crime novels, starting with Seven Graves, One Winter.

Seven Graves, One Winter is the first full novel featuring Greenlandic Police Constable David Maratse.

And The Ice Star: Book Club Edition The Ice Star Book Club Edition by Christoffer Petersen published April 3, 2019.

On a time-sensitive mission to retrieve a crashed spy satellite in Greenland, the elite Sirius Sledge Patrol's first female patroller has to gut it out to survive the Arctic and a team of ruthless mercenaries.

When her patrol partner is killed during the mission Konstabel Fenna Brongaard tarnishes the unit's military history as the first Sirius patroller to be investigated for murder.

Following her arrest, fog isolates the village of Ittoqqortoormiit and Fenna from the outside world. When the investigation takes a vicious turn, Fenna must trust a Greenlandic policeman if she is to clear her name, only to discover that her reputation is the least of her worries.When a mysterious adventure cruise ship enters Greenlandic waters, Fenna discovers that alone in the world of men, if you run with dogs you have to fight like wolves.

This Book Club Edition of the action thriller set in Greenland includes the previously published edition of The Ice Star and a wealth of extra material providing greater background for discussion and insight into Fenna's world, Greenland, and the Arctic today including:

A Contextual Essay on the role of Environmental Determinism in Arctic literature
Factual information about the real Danish Sirius Sledge Patrol
The climate and culture of Greenland from the perspective of the author
Original scenes and stories that defined the main characters
The original chapters that shaped the novel
And more
The Ice Star is the first book in Christoffer Petersen's adrenaline-fueled Greenland thriller series. If you like Matthew Reilly's Scarecrow Series and Bear Grylls' Will Jaeger books then you'll love Christoffer Petersen's raw action thriller.

message 14: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Apr 24, 2019 07:48AM) (new)

The Absolution (Children's House Book 3) The Absolution (Children's House #3) by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir Yrsa Sigurðardóttir published 18 April 2019. Iceland.

The police find out about the crime the way everyone does: on Snapchat. The video shows the terrified victim begging for forgiveness. When her body is found, it is marked with a number 2...

Detective Huldar joins the investigation, bringing child psychologist Freyja on board to help question the murdered teenager's friends. Soon, they uncover that Stella was far from the angel people claim - but even so, who could have hated her enough to kill?

Then another teenager goes missing, and more clips are sent. Freyja and Huldar can agree on two things at least: the truth is far from simple. And the killer is not done yet.

A brilliantly suspenseful story about the dark side of social media, The Absolution will make you wonder what you should have said sorry for...

message 15: by Carol (last edited Apr 26, 2019 07:54PM) (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 45 comments Ken wrote: "The Absolution (Children's House Book 3) The Absolution (Children's House #3) by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir Yrsa Sigurðardóttir published 18 April 2019...."

Wow! That was fast. Book two was only released maybe four months ago. What a nice treat.