PenPal Readers discussion

Archive [General] > JAPAN - PenPals, Authors, Books, Travel etc - Discussion

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne ✨ (last edited Mar 30, 2019 09:22AM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments *NEW* Monthly Spotlight on a country

🌸 🌸 🌸 🌸 JAPAN 🌸 🌸 🌸 🌸

✍Penpals: Are you a PenPal born/living/lived in Japan? Do you have Japanese heritage? Say hello and share with fellow PenPals , tell us about your country!

📚Books: Are you reading/planning to read/ have read a book from an Japanese author, or set in Japan? Share with your fellow penpals, tell us about Japanese reads you're excited about!

✈️Travels: Have you traveled to/will you visit Japan? Share with your fellow penpals, tell us about travels in Japan!

🌸 Seasons: It's Sakura/Cherry Blossom time in Japan. What trees or flowers are blooming where you live?

🍣 Food n Drink: Have any yummy Japanese food or drink recipes to share?

🎲 Activity:Join in on our 🌸 'Japan in Bloom' 🌸 Mini Challenge this month.

🗾Group Read: Join in on our April Group read for Pen Name theme - it's a Japanese author/book I Am a Cat by Sōseki Natsume . 💬 Discussion is here

message 2: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments I applied for the JET programme, so I'm going to be waiting for the results for the next month and a half! If I get one of the Assistant Language Teacher positions, I'm going to move to Japan, so fingers crossed! Meanwhile, this is a wonderful opportunity to read and learn more about this country!

message 3: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Mion wrote: "I applied for the JET programme, so I'm going to be waiting for the results for the next month and a half! If I get one of the Assistant Language Teacher positions, I'm going to move to Japan, so f..."

Mion, that sounds so exciting! 🤞 I really hope you get that teaching opportunity!

message 4: by Anne ✨ (last edited Mar 30, 2019 08:13PM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments I hadn't read much Japanese literature until recently, but have since read a few that I've loved, thanks to fellow members introducing me to some great ones!

Two that have stood out so far include:
The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yōko Ogawa
⭐⭐⭐⭐

I can't wait to see other recommendations and keep reading more japanese authors/books!

message 6: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Hope you get the position, Mion! I have a friend who did that and it would be fantastic.

I've studied 2 years of Japanese, but not very good at it.

I watched tonnes of early Japanese cinema, and far too many animes, if there is such a thing.

I've read quite a lot of Japanese books and too many mangas :)

As far as newer books go, you can't go wrong with Haruki Murakami. Everything he writes is spectacular. Nice article here:
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the...

A die-hard classic would have to be The Tale of Genji, which was written in the 11th century by Murasaki Shikibu, a lady of the Heian court. It is universally recognised as the greatest masterpiece of Japanese prose narrative, and perhaps the earliest true novel in the history of the world.

message 7: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments and looking out my window, the sakura are budding across the street.

message 8: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments OK, PenPals who are living in Japan, where are you???? Drop by and say hello this month! 🗾🎌🌸

message 9: by Diana (new)

Diana (secondhandrose) | 45 comments I travelled to Japan in January and had three weeks there. We went to Osaka, Hiroshima, Kyoto, Nara and Tokyo. The food was sensational and so was the stationery! I have travelled a bit and this is definitely my favourite country so far.
When I came home I read Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata. I'll definitely read more by Japanese authors so thanks for all the leads in this thread.
I have also enjoyed In the Miso Soup by Ryū Murakami and The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa
I have a few Japanese postcards if anyone would like one although they'll have an Australian stamp and postmark. PM me if you're interested.

message 10: by Neo (new)

Neo (neosideralis) If you like thrillers, you should try Natsuo Kirino
I read her books Grotesque and Out. Some parts of Grotesque can be a bit slow-going though in my opinion.

And I agree with Jazzy; Haruki Murakami is fantastic.

message 11: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Femke wrote: "If you like thrillers, you should try Natsuo Kirino
I read her books Grotesque and Out. Some parts of Grotesque can be a bit slow-going though in my opini..."

Murakami is the only Japanese author I can say with certainty that I truly don't like :D But I love Kirino's work, so to each their own :D

message 12: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments I'm currently reading Five Modern Japanese Novelists which I picked up from my university library last week. It gives brief overviews about the lives of five authors: Tanizaki Jun'ichiro, Kawabata Yasunari, Mishima Yukio, Abe Kobo and Shiba Ryotaro. I'm not enjoying it very much, because it seems somewhat superficial and spoilery, but I'll try to finish reading it anyway.