NobelWomen discussion

GroupReads > April 2019: Song of Solomon

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Britta (last edited Mar 30, 2019 07:38AM) (new)

Britta Böhler | 50 comments Our April read is: Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison, winner of the Nobel Prize in 1993.

Looking forward to discussing the book with you all!

message 2: by Kay (new)

Kay | 27 comments I am finally starting this weekend. It's been hit-or-miss with me with Morrison's books, so let's hope this is one of the hits :)

message 3: by Britta (new)

Britta Böhler | 50 comments Kay wrote: "I am finally starting this weekend. It's been hit-or-miss with me with Morrison's books, so let's hope this is one of the hits :)"

Fingers crossed! :-)

message 4: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Ryan | 2 comments This was my first Toni Morrison book - not American and too old to have studied her in American Literature. It took me a while to get into, although I loved 'Not Doctor street' from the start. Milkman was a bit of a shit and it was hard to warm to his point of view. However, by the end of the novel I was completely blown away and absolutely loved the writing and characters. I gave it 5 stars, which is a really exceptional read for me.

message 5: by Kay (new)

Kay | 27 comments I have so many thoughts about this book, I don't know how to organize them. So many themes! I am happy to say I ended up really liking it (which does not happen with all her books). I liked the variety of characters - even though they were family, they were all very different from one another.
One point I wan't sure about is Guitar's (view spoiler)

message 6: by Jo (new)

Jo | 9 comments SPOILERS

I finished this about ten days ago but, like Kay, I have had trouble organizing my thoughts as there is so much in this book. However, Toni Morrison could write a manual on window washing and I would still love the writing. Each time I pick up one of her novels I am reminded once again of her skill as a writer, not only in the masterful writing but in her characterization.

Milkman is certainly spoilt and unsympathetic although he does at least begin to change by the end but it is, as usual, the female characters that are the most compelling. Pilate is easily my favorite character in her strength and honesty as well as her love for her family and willingnesss to debase herself to protect them. The way in which she picked herself up and travelled across country, had a baby, left and found her brother again. I really enjoyed the chapter with Corinthians finding love and even Lena makes an impression when she berates Milkman, as does Circe living in the mansionsurrounded by dogs. Ruth and Hagar are also more complex than I first assumed and the way all these women surround Milkman and Macon is the best part of the novel for me.

I share Kay’s confusion about Guitar going after Milkman, they seemed so close it seemed such an extreme action, my only explanation was that the strain of being part of the Days became too much for him and drove him slightly mad.

There is so much more I feel could be said but I don’t want to write an essay and am looking forward to the thoughts of others.

message 7: by Nadia (new)

Nadia Zeemeeuw | 18 comments It was not love at first sight, I took my time before went into a story. But then I could not put it down. So vivid its characters were, absolutely beautiful in their complexity. I loved Toni Morrison’s writing style - it reminds me why I was in love with “One hundred years of solitude” by Gabriel Garcia Marquez when I was in my teens. The same magic, the same breathtaking turns. But what I truly adored about this book is how deftly Morrison sews shreds of her story in an exquisite patch-work quilt.