New Adult Book Club discussion

Kandi Steiner
This topic is about Kandi Steiner
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Author Q+A's > Kandi Steiner Q&A

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat J (last edited Mar 30, 2019 06:10AM) (new)

Kat J (katjphoenix) | 378 comments Kandi Steiner

This week we have Kandi Steiner joining us to take all your questions.

She is the author of popular books such as A Love Letter to Whiskey, On the Way to You, What He Doesn't Know and many many more.

Leave your questions for her below now!

message 2: by Antonella (new)

Antonella | 237 comments Hello...
You often write about very emotional life things and deal with very hard subject in your books. How draining is it? And what do you do to cheer up afterwards?

xx

message 3: by Carolina (new)

Carolina León (cariiitolm) | 94 comments Did you ever question an specific subject in your own books?

message 4: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Dehart | 133 comments Who is your biggest inspiration?

Falling_with_the_leaves | 31 comments I recently finished the audiobooks of your What He Doesn’t Know Duet and they’re epic! What inspires you?

message 6: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 5 comments What was your inspiration behind this book?

message 7: by Elle P. (new)

Elle P. Golden | 186 comments what kind of hero/heroine/secondary characters do you like to read the most?

message 8: by Grace (new)

Grace Worland Do you listen to music while you write? If so what type?

message 9: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Ortiz | 733 comments What are you currently working on?

message 10: by Amy M. (new)

Amy M. | 50 comments What is your favorite romance book and why?

message 11: by Kandi (new)

Kandi Steiner (kandisteiner) Antonella wrote: "Hello...
You often write about very emotional life things and deal with very hard subject in your books. How draining is it? And what do you do to cheer up afterwards?

xx"

Hi, Antonella! This is a great question, but my answer might surprise you. I actually really love talking/writing/reading about tougher, more emotional topics. I've always been a fan of deep conversation, of books/movies/shows that tug at my heart strings and make me think, and of writing books that move ME as well as my readers. For me, I feel the most accomplished when I finish a book and I'm a mess of tears. That's how I know I hit the mark, I wrote something important and touching. <3 So, there's really no need to recharge after I finish because I feel so fulfilled after writing a powerful book. However, I do usually indulge in a glass of whiskey. ;)

message 12: by Kandi (new)

Kandi Steiner (kandisteiner) Carolina wrote: "Did you ever question an specific subject in your own books?"

Hi, Carolina! I definitely do. For me, research is so important, as well as doing honor to the topics I choose to cover. For instance, in On the Way to You, depression is a main theme throughout the book. I didn't want to just go off my own experience with it, but rather, interview others and do research so I could stay true to the way it can affect people (not just specifically, me).

message 13: by Kandi (new)

Kandi Steiner (kandisteiner) Katrina wrote: "Who is your biggest inspiration?"

Hi, Katrina! My biggest inspiration when it comes to writing is my close friend, Staci Hart. She is such an incredibly hard worker and is so dedicated to her craft. She really teaches me how to be a better writer and encourages me to push hard!

message 14: by Kandi (new)

Kandi Steiner (kandisteiner) Brandilyn wrote: "I recently finished the audiobooks of your What He Doesn’t Know Duet and they’re epic! What inspires you?"

Thank you so much, Brandilyn! That series is stuck in my heart forever. <3 I'm really inspired by just LIVING. I love traveling, going to new places, talking to strangers, asking my close friends and family to open up to me about their love, the way they've been hurt, what scares them, what motivates them, etc. I find that I am inspired by life and the human experience as a whole.

message 15: by Kandi (new)

Kandi Steiner (kandisteiner) Morgan wrote: "What was your inspiration behind this book?"

Hi, Morgan! I was specifically inspired to write the What He Doesn't Know series because I wanted to write a TRUE love triangle -- where both men were lovable, the woman at the center of it all was neither innocent nor evil, and that the gray areas of love were exposed. Sometimes, I think we get stuck in the mindset that cheating is always wrong. Black or white, no gray areas. But, I wanted to expose the messy side of love, how we are humans and make choices every single day FOR A REASON, whether someone else might say they are right or wrong. I just wanted to explore that more and gain empathy from my readers for something they may have never considered before.

message 16: by Kandi (new)

Kandi Steiner (kandisteiner) MiDouradoP wrote: "what kind of hero/heroine/secondary characters do you like to read the most?"

I love this question! I'm a sucker for humorous secondary characters. I love when they offer comic relief and also have quirks that make them unique.

message 17: by Kandi (new)

Kandi Steiner (kandisteiner) Grace wrote: "Do you listen to music while you write? If so what type?"

I do! Usually, it's classical, acoustic, or film scores. But sometimes, I'll listen to whatever music I think my character loves to get into their head.

message 18: by Kandi (new)

Kandi Steiner (kandisteiner) Nicole wrote: "What are you currently working on?"

I'm currently finishing up edits on my box set that releases this Thursday! It's going to have Weightless, On the Way to You, and Revelry -- as well as 3 bonus, never before read epilogues that are almost 30k in length combined. It was so fun to get back to these characters and write more about what happened to them after the book ended!

I'm also working on book one in a 4 book series about brothers in a small whiskey distillery town. More on that to come soon!

message 19: by Kandi (new)

Kandi Steiner (kandisteiner) Amy McNeece wrote: "What is your favorite romance book and why?"

THIS IS SO HARD! Gah! Honestly, I think it's impossible to pick my all-time favorite. BUT, the first one that came to mind is Thoughtless by S.C. Stephens. That whole series just put me through the ringer in the best way and I'll never forget my experience reading those books!

message 20: by Suzana (new)

Suzana (bibliophile_suzy) | 36 comments How do you deal with emotional impact of a book as you are writing the story?

message 21: by Judy (new)

Judy | 14 comments Not sure if this has been asked yet....
As a writer, how do you separate your work with real life?

message 22: by J. (new)

J. (leaj) | 275 comments If you could be any book character for a day, who would you choose and why?

message 23: by Kara (new)

Kara (Rotella Reads) (rotellareads) Besides writing and pole dancing, what are some of your favorite ways to spend your time?

message 24: by Nicole (new)

Nicole ReadingBetweenTheSheets (readingbetweenthesheets) Hi Kandi!

What are some of your favorite authors and tropes or maybe a couple of your favorite books that you have read recently?

message 25: by Kandi (new)

Kandi Steiner (kandisteiner) Suzana wrote: "How do you deal with emotional impact of a book as you are writing the story?"

Oh, that's easy -- I just let it consume me. LOL! I love getting all up in my feels, and I think some of my best writing happens when I fully submerge myself in my characters and what they're going through.

message 26: by Kandi (new)

Kandi Steiner (kandisteiner) Judy wrote: "Not sure if this has been asked yet....
As a writer, how do you separate your work with real life?"

Great question! I have a very good life/work balance. I usually work (write, do social media, marketing, business stuff, etc) Mon-Fri and take my weekends off. I also try to take off any time I'm traveling if I can help it. For me, it's about having one mindset when I'm working, and disconnecting when it's time to hang out with friends or family. Balance! :)

message 27: by Kandi (new)

Kandi Steiner (kandisteiner) J. wrote: "If you could be any book character for a day, who would you choose and why?"

Hermoine Granger, of course! Just so I could battle evil wizard with Harry and Ron and get to go to Hogwarts. Oh, and pet Crookshanks. ;)

message 28: by Kandi (new)

Kandi Steiner (kandisteiner) Kara wrote: "Besides writing and pole dancing, what are some of your favorite ways to spend your time?"

Hi, Kara! I love so many things. Life, for me, is an endless well and I try to soak in as much as possible. I really enjoy reading, going to concerts or anywhere I can enjoy live music, heading to the beach for a day in the sun, getting out on the water, hiking, spending a day exploring a new city with my friends or family, and of course, hanging out with my cat. :)

message 29: by Kandi (new)

Kandi Steiner (kandisteiner) Nicole wrote: "Hi Kandi!

What are some of your favorite authors and tropes or maybe a couple of your favorite books that you have read recently?"

I really love anything angsty! (hence why I love to write it haha)

Some of my favorite authors are Staci Hart, Brittainy C. Cherry, Jessica Hawkins, Ilsa Madden-Mills, S.C. Stephens, Alessandra Torre, BB Easton, LJ Shen... there are just so many I love!

message 30: by Lana (new)

Lana | 54 comments Hi Kandi! I would love to know, which of your female characters is most like you?
And, what message would you like readers to take away when reading the What He Doesn't Know duet?

Thanks!

message 31: by Debra (new)

Debra Shutters (debrashutters) What inspired you to become a writer?

message 32: by Nichole (new)

Nichole Watson | 1 comments Hi Kandi, I was wondering if any of your books have any experiences for real life?

message 33: by Irma (new)

Irma *Irma The Book Whisperer* | 325 comments Hi Kandi, I'd like to know if your have your own favourite couple? Yours that is.

message 34: by Kandi (new)

Kandi Steiner (kandisteiner) Lana wrote: "Hi Kandi! I would love to know, which of your female characters is most like you?
And, what message would you like readers to take away when reading the What He Doesn't Know duet?

Thanks!"

Hey Lana!

Hmmm... this is so tough! I feel like I put so much of myself into my characters -- both female AND male. But, if I had to choose, I'd say Gemma from The Wrong Game. :)

As for the duet, the biggest message I want readers to take away is that love is messy. It's not always black and white, and partners aren't always perfect. We make mistakes. We lose ourselves and our love and sometimes we come back together, while other times, we find our love in a new way with someone else. I wanted to shed light on the taboo subject of cheating and show that there is always more to the story than just that one negative word can say.

message 35: by Kandi (new)

Kandi Steiner (kandisteiner) Debra wrote: "What inspired you to become a writer?"

I was inspired first by reading the Harry Potter series. I just remember the feeling I would get opening those books, hiding under my blankets at night with a flashlight and slipping into this magical world. I loved that feeling, and always have when it comes to reading. I knew from a young age that I wanted to be able to give that feeling to others, too. I wanted to create worlds that people could escape into.

message 36: by Kandi (new)

Kandi Steiner (kandisteiner) Nichole wrote: "Hi Kandi, I was wondering if any of your books have any experiences for real life?"

Hi, Nichole! Oh, sure. I love to pull inspiration from my own life and those of my friends/family. However, none of the situations that have happened in my books have been nonfiction. Inspiration is loose. :)

message 37: by Kandi (new)

Kandi Steiner (kandisteiner) Irma wrote: "Hi Kandi, I'd like to know if your have your own favourite couple? Yours that is."

Hi, Irma! Oh boy, this is so tough because I love them ALL but if I had to choose, I'd say Cooper and Emery from On the Way to You. <3

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.