Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid, 5 stars!

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly R W (new)

Holly R W | 1160 comments "Daisy Jones and The Six" is a book that is pure fun to read. It takes a look at a fictional rock band formed in the 1970's. The Dunne brothers, Billy and Graham, start as the nucleus and then, other musicians join the band. Ultimately, the impossibly sexy and talented singer Daisy Jones teams up with them and history is made. Audiences are enthralled as they watch sparks fly between Billy and Daisy as they sing. These two are unpredictable when they perform on the stage together.

The story is written as an oral history of the band, with members being interviewed by an unknown writer. These first hand accounts of their life experiences let the reader feel exactly what being in the rock band was like. The band members are very young to experience such heady success. The intense world of song writing, performing, and being on tour together is richly described. As someone who grew up in the 7o's, I enjoyed reliving this era with them.

The characters themselves and their dynamics with each other are fascinating. Central to the story are Billy Dunne and Daisy Jones. Their relationship is often stormy and changes throughout the story. Each is immensely talented, strong willed and prone to troubles with drug addiction. Yet, they often have very different reactions. Their lives do not parallel each other. The other characters are important to the story also, including Billy's wife Camila and his brother, Graham.

As entertaining as the book is, I also found it to be thoughtful and at times, profound.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8280 comments This is my Passover listen! My third or fourth try at audible. I’m hearing so much positive buzz about this book that I am truly excited!

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7230 comments Holly R W wrote: ""Daisy Jones and The Six" is a book that is pure fun to read. It takes a look at a fictional rock band formed in the 1970's. The Dunne brothers, Billy and Graham, start as the nucleus and then, oth..."

I am curious Holly, did you read or listen? I have never done audio. Reviewers before you have said that is the way to go-I want to know if the book holds up in print format.

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7692 comments Yay!!!

message 5: by Holly R W (last edited Mar 30, 2019 10:33AM) (new)

Holly R W | 1160 comments Thank you all for commenting.

Joanne, I read the book and really liked it. I've never done audio either. The audio version might make the story even more dramatic and stirring. I'm sure that both ways of experiencing the book are good.

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7230 comments Holly R W wrote: "Thank you all for commenting.

Joanne, I read the book and really liked it. I've never done audio either. The audio version might make the story even more dramatic and stirring. I'm sure that both..."

Good to know, thanks!

message 7: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2211 comments I don’t usually do audio either but this book is so completely perfect for it (finished it a few days ago but still need to review it). 5 happy rocking stars for me too!! I’d have loved it in print but the multi-actor audio totally sealed the deal for me.

message 8: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5493 comments I have the audio, now just have to find the time that I want to listen to something rather than read something.

message 9: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments It’s cued as my next audio too! I’m really looking forward to it.

message 10: by Holly R W (last edited Mar 31, 2019 04:19AM) (new)

Holly R W | 1160 comments For those of you who have read this and loved it, I am glad that the story touched us all the same way. For those who plan to read it, you have a fun experience ahead of you! I'll be interested in your reactions.

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8280 comments Holly - it’s cued up. All I need to do is find a shankbone, return from visiting the pandas in Washington DC, and we are good to go!

message 12: by Holly R W (last edited Mar 31, 2019 06:09AM) (new)

Holly R W | 1160 comments Amy wrote: "Holly - it’s cued up. All I need to do is find a shankbone, return from visiting the pandas in Washington DC, and we are good to go!"

Amy, you're going to love it..... Heinen's Grocery Store (which was so vilified in Ng's book, "Little Fires Everywhere") stocks shank bones for us here locally. And, I love the pandas too. My husband and I saw them recently, when we visited DC.

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8280 comments In Brookline (and Newton) Mass, not hard to find them! You know me, it’s all about the time to scoop it up! I’m now starting baseball, soccer, soccer reffing, flag football, track, and continuing guitar (for up to three at a time each) and my one woman literacy program! Do you know that most people in my life are amazed that I actually read 100 books a year? I’m also pretty addicted to TV, and work excessively. So the shankbone and the pandas and the audio will happen. Just with very careful planning and execution. Church bells just rang next to my office, gotta go. That’s my work alarm clock - lol!

message 14: by Holly R W (new)

Holly R W | 1160 comments Amy, you have a lot of energy!!

message 15: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6919 comments Two great reviews. I have added it to my want to read shelf, albeit reluctantly as it doesn't sound like my cup of tea. But then these raves!

message 16: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5493 comments Ok, so listening to it while gardening didn't work.

message 17: by Joanne (last edited Mar 31, 2019 03:11PM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7230 comments Amy wrote: "In Brookline (and Newton) Mass, not hard to find them! You know me, it’s all about the time to scoop it up! I’m now starting baseball, soccer, soccer reffing, flag football, track, and continuing g..."

Been dealing with a crazy stuck key-board all day- Daughter to the recuse, changed out my keyboard. Finally after numerous mentions, what do you make with the shank? A soup? a broth? I love a good shank bone, and I make my mothers barley soup with it-

message 18: by Holly R W (new)

Holly R W | 1160 comments Joanne, I'll answer your question about the shank bone. For the dinner on Passover, the table is set with a large plate in the middle of the table. It's called the seder plate. Ceremonial foods are set out on the plate, each with their own symbolic meaning. The roasted shank bone is part of this plate. Other items are: parsley, a hard boiled egg, horseradish, salt water, and a sweet tasting mixture made from apples that is called "charoset".

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8280 comments Holly speaks da truth! In order to prepare for Passover there’s a lot of things you have to do in advance that is larger than just making a regular meal. And since I’m going away for a few days before, I have to make sure that the shank bone is already in the freezer so it’s not something I have to worry about when I’m busy seeing patients and cooking in the last 48 hours before, while I’m listening to Daisy Jones and the Six.

So here’s a little joke: when did I first know I was a Jewish mother? When I opened my freezer and I saw a shank bone resting up next to breastmilk. Hope that gives you a laugh.

message 20: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7230 comments Holly R W wrote: "Joanne, I'll answer your question about the shank bone. For the dinner on Passover, the table is set with a large plate in the middle of the table. It's called the seder plate. Ceremonial foods are..."

Thank you Holly! So interesting, I do not have any real-life Jewish friends, so if I ask silly questions, excuse my curiosity.

message 21: by Karin (last edited Apr 01, 2019 03:52PM) (new)

Karin | 6919 comments Joanne wrote: "Amy wrote: "In Brookline (and Newton) Mass, not hard to find them! You know me, it’s all about the time to scoop it up! I’m now starting baseball, soccer, soccer reffing, flag football, track, and ..."

Yes, you can use a shank as part of making soup broth. I've never roasted one, but I'm not Jewish. No doubt there was one at the one authentic Jewish seder I was part of when I lived with family friends during my grade 12 year who are Jewish, but not religious, although the kept seder and Hanukkah and perhaps one other. Not all of them, though, as I learned years later. The kitchen wasn't kosher, but I don't recall eating pork there.