Smashwords Authors discussion

Marketing > How to add a video to your Smashwords ebook page

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ted (new)

Ted Summerfield (ted_summerfield) | 144 comments I wanted to add a video description of my ebook to that ebook page on Smashwords and couldn't see how to do it.
Here's what you do:
Go to Dashboard > Settings, you'll see a Status option and click on Settings. Scroll way down to the bottom of the page and on the left side you will see 'associate a video' for that book. Click on 'associate a video' and follow instructions.
First posted on Smashwords Forum.

message 2: by Don (new)

Don Satalic (donsatalic) | 7 comments I hadn't thought about a video description. Thanks for the information. You should include a link to one of your videos, too. (It might just lead to a sale...)

message 3: by Ted (new)

Ted Summerfield (ted_summerfield) | 144 comments You're welcome Don. I hope a video will help market your works.
I just got the web cam this week and am learning to use it and a free video editor I downloaded. Probably will be a month or so before I can get a video together.

message 4: by Don (new)

Don Satalic (donsatalic) | 7 comments I'll check in to see your video in a month or so. Are you doing a video on a current title or a new one?

message 5: by Ted (new)

Ted Summerfield (ted_summerfield) | 144 comments Don wrote: "I'll check in to see your video in a month or so. Are you doing a video on a current title or a new one?"

I haven't decided yet. I've got a small number of ebooks which have been out since 2010 and one puzzle ebook, Star Sudoku 2019, I'm currently working on publishing by June. What may happen is I'll work on more than one video and then settle on one which may or may not need more work. I'm always seeing my works as something in progress and needing more refinement.

message 6: by Don (new)

Don Satalic (donsatalic) | 7 comments The idea is intriguing, but would your video appeal to the parents (assuming it's a children's book) or the kids themselves? Or is it targeted to all audiences? I'm just curious.

I totally understand refinement. It seems there is always something a writer wants to do to make the work better. Hemingway said he rewrote the first part of A Farewell to Arms at least 50 times.

message 7: by Ted (new)

Ted Summerfield (ted_summerfield) | 144 comments Don wrote: "The idea is intriguing, but would your video appeal to the parents (assuming it's a children's book) or the kids themselves? Or is it targeted to all audiences? I'm just curious."

I wrote my puppet plays for children 3-7, and adapted the plays to ebook format so I will likely aim video for parents looking for something for their children to have read to them or for the child to read.

My puzzle ebooks are geared towards a larger audience of anyone who wants to challenge their brains. Videos for puzzle ebooks will lean towards a simple description of the puzzle works.

The few romance or drama or comedy ebooks I've written are mainly for my own satisfaction and a hope readers fine them interesting. I will likely do videos last as most are based upon actual events although published as fiction.

I was taught to write for the ear as I was a broadcast journalist and relied upon the visuals to support my writing. Writing for the eye is a whole new ballgame for me. Now I've got a video setup but not the professional crew backing me up like before so I'm sure my first few videos will be horrible compared to much later ones as I learn how to create a better canvas for words and pictures.

message 8: by Don (new)

Don Satalic (donsatalic) | 7 comments I dropped by Smashwords and saw your "About Me" video. Will you be posting others about your books? Or am I too early?