UK Book Club discussion

Genre Challenge 2018-20 > Comedy / Humour - April 2019

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3456 comments Mod
Well it's comedy for April. It should come as a relief after the sombre books I read last month!

I'm going to start with About a Boy by Nick Hornby. I really enjoyed High Fidelity, when I read it a couple of years ago, so I'm looking forward to this one.

My son (12) loves Terry Pratchett's disc world books and has nearly romped through all 40-something volumes. He keeps telling me I should read them. So, on his strong recommendation, I will be reading Going Postal.

What will you be reading?

About a Boy by Nick Hornby High Fidelity by Nick Hornby Going Postal (Discworld, #33) by Terry Pratchett

message 2: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 420 comments I'm starting with an oldie, the aptly titled April Lady by Georgette Heyer. A bit of fluff.

message 3: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
I've just finished Terry Pratchett's Lords and Ladies and definitely recommend Going Postal Liz, I thought it was one of the best. :)
I'll probably read The PreHistory of The Far Side: A 10th Anniversary Exhibit Gary Larson always makes me chuckle.

message 4: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Perfect timing... I’ve just started Country of the Blind by Christopher Brookmyre which has made me laugh out loud several times in only three chapters!

message 5: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3456 comments Mod
'About a Boy' was an uber-quick read. I enjoyed it, but had been vacillating between giving it 3 or 4 stars - I was engrossed and chuckling throughout, but it didn't really have an ending. I decided to be generous.

On to 'Going Postal' and all things Pratchett.....

message 6: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2734 comments I'm reading A Scar is Born A Scar is Born by Eric Nicol by Eric Nicol.

message 8: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
Just finished The PreHistory of The Far Side: A 10th Anniversary Exhibit which was very amusing.

message 9: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3456 comments Mod
I finished 'Going Postal' yesterday and really enjoyed it. I initially approached it with caution, as I often have an issue with 'funny' books (ie they're often not). But I needn't have worried, I chuckled all the way through.

It's been years since I last read a Terry Pratchett and I worried that there'd be too many series in-jokes so that I'd feel excluded, but I found the novel stood easily on its own merits. My son is delighted that I loved his recommendation and he's keen for me to try more of his suggestions... He obviously inherited his good taste from my side of the family ;)

message 10: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
Glad to hear you enjoyed it Liz, Going Postal is one of my favourites. I'm making my way through the Discworld series at a leisurely rate, I know I'll be disappointed when I've read them all and won't have any to look forward to.

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 212 comments I'm reading Oddjobs Oddjobs (Oddjobs #1) by Heide Goody by Heide Goody

message 12: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 354 comments I missed the boat on the April front, but I have just read This Is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Junior Doctor by Adam Kay. A five-star laugh-out-loud funny read.

message 13: by Ken (new)

Ken Paterson | 8 comments I've got a copy of 'This is going to hurt', ready to read. But I've also got some hospital treatment, which I think I'll complete before I start the book ...

message 14: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 420 comments Oh, I dunno, a little black humour might help see you through . . .

message 15: by Ken (new)

Ken Paterson | 8 comments I think you're right. I'll try and be brave.

message 16: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 354 comments Also, Adam Kay worked in obstetrics and gynaecology, so you might be safe?

message 17: by Ken (new)

Ken Paterson | 8 comments Thank you, Natasha. Two reasons now, to begin the book.