RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

RMFAO 2019 Genre Challenge > April'19 - YA or Graphic Novels

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Heena (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) | 2134 comments Mod
Hello everyone,

April is just around the corner and so is one of the alternate genre month. For this month we have two genre options to choose from. You can either pick 1 genre and stick to it or pick both and read 2 genres for this month. It's your choice.

There are absolutely no limits so you can interpret this genre in its broader sense and include other similar genres and/or subgenres that you feel might have a wee bit of similarity with the main genre. You can also include books that are not particularly centered around the main genre but has its components or elements somewhere in the story.

The main intent of this challenge is to incorporate different kinds of books and genres in our normal reading routine to make the experience more fun and entertaining. Please do not lose yourself in the technicalities as we all know how literary genres can be confusing.
If you have any doubts or questions, then post them below and we'll be happy to answer/discuss them.

Following are the DEFINITIONS for this month's genres:

Young Adult Young-adult fiction (often abbreviated as YA) is fiction written for, published for, or marketed to adolescents and young adults, roughly ages 13 to 18.
Young-adult fiction, whether in the form of novels or short stories, has distinct attributes that distinguish it from the other age categories of fiction. The vast majority of YA stories portray an adolescent as the protagonist, rather than an adult or a child. The subject matter and story lines are typically consistent with the age and experience of the main character, but beyond that YA stories span the entire spectrum of fiction genres. The settings of YA stories are limited only by the imagination and skill of the author.
Themes in YA stories often focus on the challenges of youth, so much so that the entire age category is sometimes referred to as problem novels or coming of age novel. Writing styles of YA stories range widely, from the richness of literary style to the clarity and speed of the unobtrusive. Despite its unique characteristics, YA shares the fundamental elements of fiction with other stories: character, plot, setting, theme, and style.

Graphic Novel: A graphic novel is a narrative work in which the story is conveyed to the reader using sequential art in either an experimental design or in a traditional comics format. The term is employed in a broad manner, encompassing non-fiction works and thematically linked short stories as well as fictional stories across a number of genres.
These can be Fiction or Non-Fiction.

Here's a quick summary of the levels:

Level 1: Casual Reader: 1 book (easy)
Level 2: Frequent Reader: 2 books (moderate)
Level 3: Bookworm: 3 books (mildly strenuous)
Level 4: Bibliophile: 4 books (strenuous)
Level 5: Bookiopath: 5 books or more (challenging)

Please mention what type of books you'd be reading:

PB: Paperbacks
EB: E-Books
AB: Audio Books

Please feel free to announce your to-read books along with the level you are targeting for below.

PLEASE READ (for new members):
1. You can read any number of books for the respective genre each month in one particular month.
2. Take your time and go through your entire TBR-list before deciding the books to read.
3. You can join the challenge at any stage (in any month.)
4. You can drop out of the challenge any time you like.
5. You can select different levels every month.
6. Use this discussion board to share your reads with other members of the group.
7. Please be active and don't hesitate to ask questions or recommend books.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3158 comments Mod
At this point I'll be shooting for Level 2, both are audio books.

The first, which I already have and might even sneak and begin listening tomorrow evening since I've had it checked out about a week is a YA Fantasy, the first in a series: The Raven Boys

The other is on hold and I should get it in plenty of time since I'm up to #1. It's the 2nd in a YA Steampunk series (and I'll save the 3rd for November Steampunk): Curtsies & Conspiracies

message 3: by Dagny (new)

YA possibilities at LibriVox:

Difficult finding Young Adult books (April Genre Challenge) at LibriVox since they don't have a category for it. Thinking of all the books in Public Domain, was YA even a category several decades ago? Surely most of Mark Twain's books would fit, maybe Charles Dickens, Jack London, Louisa Mae Alcott, etc., but everyone interested has probably alread read those.

I did spot some by Mildred Wirt Benson who wrote 23 of the early Nancy Drew books (which I suspect are still under copyright) under the Syndicate pen name of Carolyn Keene. Since I enjoyed Nancy Drew way back then, I read Benson's biography. According to a reader at LibriVox: "Wirt became frustrated when she was pushed to 'tone down. Nancy Drew and make her less independent and daring." So she developed other series, including Penny Parker. Wikipedia mentions about that series: "She often told interviewers they were her favorites. The books were about the adventures of a young newspaper reporter." Benson was a journalist herself. Six of these are available free from LibriVox (and Project Gutenberg) plus an additional eight only at Project Gutenberg.
Penny Parker (as Mildred A. Wirt):
4. Behind the Green Door, 1940 PG and LibriVox
5. Clue of the Silken Ladder, 1941 PG and LibriVox
6. The Secret Pact, 1941 PG and LibriVox
7. The Clock Strikes Thirteen, 1942 PG and LibriVox
8. The Wishing Well, 1942 PG and LibriVox
11. Hoofbeats on the Turnpike, 1944 PG and LibriVox
16. Swamp Island, 1947 PG and LibriVox
An additional eight eBooks at Project Gutenberg
I'm going to try the earliest audio book available:
https://librivox.org/behind-the-green... 4:36
There is one earlier book available in eBook form only:
Danger at the Drawbridge http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/34552

Another possibility is the first one in the Madge Sterling series. It sounds interesting, but I don't like the reader as well as the one doing the Penny Parker books. She's not a bad reader though and easy to understand.
Madge Sterling (as Ann Wirt)
1. The Missing Formula, 1932 PG and LibriVox
https://librivox.org/the-missing-form... 2:43

For those looking for male characters, some of Horatio Alger's books might work for you. There are several at LibriVox.

All of these would count as Classics too in addition to the Young Adult portion of the April Genre Challenge.

If anyone has any tips on other YA audio books from LibriVox, please let us know!

message 4: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Level 2 for me- Rabbit Cake by Annie Hartnett and True to Form (Katie Nash, #3) by Elizabeth Berg

message 5: by Fran (new)

Fran | 461 comments I'm going aim for Level 5 for this challenge, though I'm guessing most will be audio books as I unpack from our move.

message 6: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair | 358 comments I will - like last year - attempt to put a huge dent in my unread comics.

message 7: by Dagny (new)

Adelaide wrote: "I will - like last year - attempt to put a huge dent in my unread comics."

Good luck!

message 8: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniellebluecat) | 3 comments First time trying a challenge here. Going for a level 5 (PB) I have some new (to me) graphic novels that I want to read and YA books are abundant and wonderful at my house.

Hoping I will read:
Any Trixie Belden book
Destroyer by Victor LaValle
and books yet to be determined

message 9: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 23 comments I am going for Level 5. I have several graphic novels that I need to catch up on, and oh my gosh, Trixie Belden? I adored those books when I was a kid. So #1 definitely goes on my list. And I'll probably read Marked, by P.C. Cast. That's a series that I shared an appreciation for with my oldest daughter. I tend to read e-books where possible, audiobooks where possible (for at work and on the train to and from the city). Oh boy! This is going to be fun!

And does anyone remember an old series (like back in 70's maybe?) about a girl named Meg? The first book had a ghost of a girl who drowned after throwing a party and no one came. I remember reading it about the same time I discovered the Trixie books, but I can't remember anything more than the main characters name and mental images of a few of the scenes (like the ending). Probably very early 70's is when I read them. Too bad my mom tossed all of my old books while I was living overseas. :(

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 1890 comments Mod
I am aiming for Level 5. I will be reading mostly graphic novels, with a couple of YA books thrown in. I am relatively new to the graphic novel genre, so I will be looking at what other members read, to get some recommendations. One graphic novel series I am looking forward to trying is Lumberjanes.

message 11: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniellebluecat) | 3 comments Lumberjanes is excellent!

message 12: by 〰️Beth〰️ (new)

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 135 comments Danielle wrote: "First time trying a challenge here. Going for a level 5 (PB) I have some new (to me) graphic novels that I want to read and YA books are abundant and wonderful at my house.

Hoping I will read:
Any..."

Welcome Danielle!
I had all the Trixie Beldon books as a kid. Great idea, I need to bring some of my childhood into this month!

💖📚Happy Reading📚💖

message 13: by 〰️Beth〰️ (new)

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 135 comments I am going for Level 5. I have never been big on graphic novels but there are so many now that I want to see what I have been missing out on. I am going to take particular interest in stories written and illustrated by women. I will throw in a few YA also since more and more of those show up in my TBR.

🌿🌸🌺 Happy April 🌺🌸🌿

message 14: by Dagny (new)

〰️Beth〰️ wrote: "I am going for Level 5. I have never been big on graphic novels but there are so many now that I want to see what I have been missing out on."

Sounds like me, Beth. I don't think I'd ever read a graphic novel before this challenge last year.

message 15: by Cheryl (new)

This might be helpful to those looking for graphic novels for this month's challenge:
https://www.goodreads.com/genres/grap...

Whenever I'm looking for books in an unfamiliar genre, I like to do a Genre search and see what others haver read and what the ratings are.

message 16: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair | 358 comments Dagny wrote: "Adelaide wrote: "I will - like last year - attempt to put a huge dent in my unread comics."

Good luck!"

Thanks! I will need it!

message 17: by Heena (last edited Apr 01, 2019 12:11AM) (new)

I will also be aiming for Level-5. Some of the books that I am planning to read for this challenge are:
- Aristophania by Xavier Dorison - Graphic Novel - EB
- Manga Classics: Macbeth by Crystal S. Chan - Graphic Novel - EB
- Aquaman & Justice League: Drowned Earth by Scott Snyder and Dan Abnett - Graphic Novel - EB
- Behind the Green Door by Mildred A. Wirt (recommended by Dagny) - YA - AB
- The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey YA- PB

message 18: by Cheryl (new)

1.) Lumberjanes, Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy (Graphic Novel)
4 stars. This was hilarious! The crazy adventures of a group of Lumberjanes ( a sort of Girl Scouts ) at camp. I will definitely be reading more in this series.

message 19: by Cheryl (last edited Apr 01, 2019 05:14PM) (new)

2.) Copperhead, Vol. 2 (graphic novel)
3 stars. This is a Space Western series set on a mining planet andfeaturing a female sheriff. Lots of action.

message 20: by Heena (new)

Cheryl wrote: "2.) Copperhead, Vol. 2 (graphic novel)
3 stars. This is a Space Western series set on a mining planet andfeaturing a female sheriff. Lots of action."

I really liked this one. It was a shame that I wasn't able to find the next parts anywhere :( Do let me know how the rest of the series is if you decide to continue.

message 21: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (marjorielest) | 115 comments I didn’t do so well last month. In fact, I am still trying to get through my first book from last month. I am hoping to do better this month. I would like to shoot for level three. My first book is Banished by Michael Wisehart. It is the first in the Street Rats of Aramoor series.

message 22: by Fran (new)

Fran | 461 comments I'm going for Level 5 on this challenge. We've got shelves of YA selections to choose from on our shelves, and lots on my tbr

message 23: by 〰️Beth〰️ (new)

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 135 comments Fran wrote: "I'm going for Level 5 on this challenge. We've got shelves of YA selections to choose from on our shelves, and lots on my tbr"

Great Fran, I am always looking for recommendations.
Thank you
💖📚 Happy Reading 📚💖

message 24: by Cheryl (new)

Heena wrote: " I really liked this one. It was a shame that I wasn't able to find the next parts anywhere :( Do let me know how the rest of the series is if you decide to continue ."

Heena,
I'm now on vol. 3 of this series, and it's even better than vol. 2. Perhaps you could try Amazon to find it? The U.S. Amazon does show this series up to vol. 4. I don't know if you being in India makes a difference in buying from Amazon. I hope you have luck in finding it!

message 25: by Cheryl (new)

3.) Copperhead, Vol. 3 (graphic novel)
4 stars. Great storyline! I will definitely continue this series. (Vol. 4 just came out, but my library has to purchase it.)

message 26: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Bonnie wrote: "Level 2 for me- Rabbit Cake by Annie Hartnett and True to Form (Katie Nash, #3) by Elizabeth Berg"

Rabbit Cake is done. It was pretty good. A little long and mostly inside the character's head, but great character development.

message 27: by Carolyn (last edited Apr 02, 2019 07:44PM) (new)

Carolyn | 51 comments Kelly wrote: "I am going for Level 5. I have several graphic novels that I need to catch up on, and oh my gosh, Trixie Belden? I adored those books when I was a kid. So #1 definitely goes on my list. And I'll pr..."
Hi Kelly!! I had all the Trixie Belden books as a kid too!!!! I just finished Marked last night and started Betrayed today for the Cast books... And yes, I remember the Meg books. There were 6 of them I think, but while I can picture some covers, I can't think of the names.... I will have to look to see if I can find them. And yes I did. It was a series by Holly Beth Walker. https://www.goodreads.com/series/5426...

message 28: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniellebluecat) | 3 comments Just finished Victor LaValle’s Destroyer (graphic novel) and it was brilliant.

Reading Trixie Belden and the Gatehouse Mystery now. My copy is my mom’s from when she was a little girl.

message 29: by Dagny (new)

My first for the month, a YA novel The Raven Boys

It was ok, just not really my cup of tea. There was only one character I really cared about and one other that I marginally liked.

message 30: by 〰️Beth〰️ (new)

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 135 comments Danielle wrote: "Just finished Victor LaValle’s Destroyer (graphic novel) and it was brilliant.

Reading Trixie Belden and the Gatehouse Mystery now. My copy is my mom’s from when she was a little girl."

I have all but one book in the series stored at my dad’s house. Would love to reread them this month but not going to have a case of books shipped. I will however be hauling them home with me the next time I visit😊

message 31: by Cheryl (new)

4.) A Gathering of Shades by David Stahler, Jr. (YA)
4 stars.

message 32: by Cheryl (new)

5.) Words on Bathroom Walls by Julia Walton (YA)
3 stars. A good look at how it feels to be a teen with schizophrenia. Not too depressing, has some humor, and ends on a hopful note.

message 33: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair | 358 comments Getting those comics read!

1) Clean Room, Vol. 1: Immaculate Conception 3.5 stars
2) Clean Room, Vol. 2: Exile 4 stars
3) Clean Room, Vol. 3: Waiting for the Stars to Fall 4 stars
I did not think I would like this sci-fi/horror series nearly as much as I did. Definitely got better as I went along.

4) House of Mystery, Volume 2: Love Stories for Dead People 4 stars
5) House of Mystery, Volume 3: The Space Between 4 stars
6) House of Mystery, Volume 4: The Beauty of Decay 3 stars
7) House of Mystery, Volume 5: Under New Management 3 stars
I am a little worried the second half won't be as much fun as the first. 3 books to go.

8) Immortal Hulk, Vol. 1: Or is he Both? 3 stars
I am not at all into superhero stuff, but this is a surprisingly effective horror comic.

9) Bingo Love 3.5 stars Fun lesbian romance.

10) Outpost Zero, Vol. 1 3 stars Muddled YA sci-fi comic.

message 34: by Christina (new)

Christina Byrne (cmbyrne87) | 12 comments Several of the books that I have planned to try and read this month are YA, the two I'm most likely to get to are Glass Sword and Legendary.

message 35: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie 〰️Beth〰️ wrote: "Danielle wrote: "Just finished Victor LaValle’s Destroyer (graphic novel) and it was brilliant.

Reading Trixie Belden and the Gatehouse Mystery now. My copy is my mom’s from when she was a little ..."

I loved those as a child.

message 36: by Jennifer (last edited Apr 05, 2019 01:01PM) (new)

Jennifer | 8 comments This month's challenge looks so fun! Since I've finally dug my way through the 4 books I planned for January, I want to try again. (That'll teach me to pick a trilogy before I realize each book is 1200 pages.)
I'm going to start with A Study in Emerald by Neil Gaiman.
Will update as I go this time.

message 37: by Cheryl (new)

6.)Montmorency: Thief, Liar, Gentleman? by Eleanor Updale (YA)
4 stars. YA historical fiction about a thief who also poses as a gentleman in 1875 London. This is book 1 in a series.

message 38: by Dagny (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Since I've finally dug my way through the 4 books I planned for January, I want to try again. (That'll teach me to pick a trilogy before I realize each book is 1200 pages.) "

Holy cow! That must have been a shocker - not to mention time consuming.

message 39: by 〰️Beth〰️ (new)

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 135 comments I am happy to report I finished my first graphic novel. I would rate it for mature audiences but otherwise it was a bizarre and fabulous space opera with the POV of the MCs newborn. I will go back and read more of the series but first I am going to explore more GN that are written and drawn by women. This first one was written by Brian K Vaughn and drawn by Fiona Staples. I also used Amazon’s ComiXology app that is recommended for g.n./comics I am not sure if it is any better than reading from the kindle app on my tablet but visuals were great.
Saga, Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) 1. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (HB) 5/5

Wow, such an intense book! Starr is a young, black, teenaged girl who is the passenger in a car driven by a slightly older, black male childhood friend. The car is pulled over by white police officers, and ultimately, her friend is shot and killed. The question for Starr is whether to tell her truth about her friend and about the incident, which could result in danger for her family. This is a YA book.

message 41: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Bonnie wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "Level 2 for me- Rabbit Cake by Annie Hartnett and True to Form (Katie Nash, #3) by Elizabeth Berg"

Rabbit Cake is done. It was pretty good. A little long and mostly inside the character's head, ..."

Starting True to Form today- guess I'll find out if it's a re-read or a first time read soon.

message 42: by Heena (new)

Donna wrote: "1. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (HB) 5/5
Wow, such an intense book! Starr is a young, black, teenaged girl who is the passenger in a car driven by a slightly older, black male ..."

It does sound very intense, Donna. Great pick!

message 43: by Dagny (new)

I'm well into the audio of Behind the Green Door
It's very easy listening and I'm finding narrator Cheryl Adam to be excellent with a nice pace and very easy to understand. The good news there is that she has produced six of the Penny Parker books. This is book four in the series, but the earliest to be available at LibriVox. No problem though with not having read the earlier books. You can jump right in anywhere in the series as with the Nancy Drew books.

message 44: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 8 comments Okay so A Study in Emerald was fun but it was just a tiny taste really, not much to it.
Added a reread of Pride and Prejudice just for fun! (That counts as YA right? Close enough.)
Just picked up 2 more at the library while I am waiting on some others to arrive so will be starting these next:
Coraline and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Oh, and Dagny it was very much a shocker. It's a good thing I am a little stubborn and the books themselves were interesting.

message 45: by Cheryl (new)

7.) Revival, Vol. 1: You're Among Friends (graphic novel)
3 stars. Decent comic, but alot of set up for the rest of the series. I'll most likely read volume 2.

message 46: by Fran (new)

Fran | 461 comments Going for level 5 on this challenge, as I have tons of YA books on the shelves I've been anxious to read (some for years:) I managed to finish my first:
1.) Dangerous Lies (AB) - Becca Fitzpatrick

message 47: by 〰️Beth〰️ (new)

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 135 comments 2. The Best We Could Do by Thi Bui
The Best We Could Do by Thi Bui . A five star graphic novel. This is Ms. Bui’s memoir about her family in war torn Vietnam and then them as refugees coming to America. There is also a look at how mothers and daughters learn to appreciate each other more as they age.

Overall this beautifully illustrated book about a difficult subject that resonates in today’s refugee crisis. Highly recommend.

message 48: by Dagny (new)

#2 - finished listening to the audio of Behind the Green Door (Penny Parker #4) by Mildred A. Wirt YA
Lightweight book, easy to follow and a great reader.

message 49: by Dagny (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Oh, and Dagny it was very much a shocker. It's a good thing I am a little stubborn and the books themselves were interesting."

LOL, Jennifer. Don't think I'm up to tackling that Gaiman trilogy. Good for you for hanging in there.

message 50: by Cheryl (new)

8.) Dark Water (manga version) (graphic novel)
2 stars. I just couldn't get into this. It's a manga comic made from a short story collection, by the author of Ringu. The stories were more subtly disturbing than the outright horror that I thought it would be. Perhaps the original short stories didn't transition well into a comic format.

« previous 1