Play Book Tag discussion

Wonder (Wonder, #1)
This topic is about Wonder
March 2019: Debut > Wonder, by RJ Palacio, 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ (last edited Mar 29, 2019 09:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4997 comments Wonder is a heart-warming story about resilience, courage, family and friendship. August is a boy with severe facial deformities (though they never use that term). He's been home schooled so far, but is now going to a real school for fifth grade. The author uses multiple narrators which worked well to help us understand the perspectives of the kids and teenagers in the story. For me, this was the smartest part of the whole book. The author does some other clever things that make the story attractive to kids and adults. It's YA (or younger) and I would recommend it to anyone in the mood for a feel-good story, as long as you are willing to suspend disbelief at times.

My husband (who pretends to be a tough guy) loved it, and wants to know if there will be a sequel. I was torn. My idealistic sappy side absolutely loved it. My cynical side thought it had the realism of a fairy tale.

message 2: by annapi (last edited Mar 30, 2019 07:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

annapi | 4916 comments NancyJ wrote: "My husband (who pretends to be a tough guy) loved it, and wants to know if there will be a sequel..."

There is no novel length sequel (yet) but there are short stories from the points of view of the other characters - The Julian Chapter, Pluto, Shingaling, Auggie and Me, White Bird.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4997 comments annapi wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "My husband (who pretends to be a tough guy) loved it, and wants to know if there will be a sequel..."

There is no novel length sequel (yet) but there are short stories from the poin..."

Thanks I'll look for them. I really like that she wrote a chapter from Julian's perspective.