The Great American Read discussion

Nominations and future planning > The Medium Reads

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J., Your Obedient Servant (last edited Mar 29, 2019 07:19PM) (new)

J. (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
After much discussion about long vs. short books on the list, I've compiled this list of books in the 500-750 page range. This list will help us possibly split a short and medium length book over a 2 month period or even give a book more than a month, but not quite as long as a quarter for discussion.

I thought about expanding the list to the 800-850 page range, but that would take several books off the Big Read list. Like the other list, I've excluded the books that have already been a group read.

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden Memoirs of a Geisha 503 pg
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens Great Expectations 505 pg
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë Jane Eyre 507 pg
The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children, #1) by Jean M. Auel The Clan of the Cave Bear 512 pg
The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souljah The Coldest Winter Ever 544 pg
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak The Book Thief 552 pg
Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison Invisible Man 581 pg
Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1) by Frank Herbert Dune 604 pg
Watchers by Dean Koontz Watchers 624 pg
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky Crime and Punishment 671 pg
Moby-Dick, or, the Whale by Herman Melville Moby-Dick, or, the Whale 720 pg

message 2: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Mar 29, 2019 10:08PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
Thanks J.

We had a lot of interest in Crime and Punishment, and it if wins I would prefer to give it closer to two months. Last summer, we had some overlapping books, and that worked pretty well.

Would it be too soon to start Crime and Punishment on May 1 and give it 2 months? It would overlap with the Count of Monte Cristo.

We could then add a small book or bonus read in June, perhaps earmarking it for people who are not reading both of the larger books. We got a late start on April, so I'd like to plan early for May. (I posted this on the Dorian Gray nomination thread too.)

If anyone wants to to commit to Crime and Punishment (Starting May 1, May 15, or June 1), just say so, and if we have enough people we can get it on the schedule soon.

message 3: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new)

J. (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
It depends on how fast people are reading Count I think. Maybe a June 1 would be more realiatic.

message 4: by Jacinta (new)

Jacinta | 70 comments I'm happy to wait until June to start C&P. While I'm not participating in the group's big read this quarter (since I just read CoMC in December), I'm currently reading The Executioner's Song, which is also over 1,000 pages, so I'm not in a rush to jump into C&P.

That being said, I will definitely make it work whenever people want to read C&P because I would love to have a group to read it with!

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments I'm with Jacinta; I'd love to read it with the group, but might have more time after May 15/June 1

message 6: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Apr 09, 2019 02:19PM) (new)

What if we scheduled Crime and Punishment for the Third quarter? July, August, Sept. It's shorter than our other big books, but many people have less time to read in the summer, so we can stretch it out. For the teachers, students, and vacationers who read MORE fiction in the summer, we can stagger in some bonus books or buddy reads.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments NancyJ wrote: "What if we scheduled Crime and Punishment for the Third quarter? July, August, Sept. It's shorter than our other big books, but many people have less time to read in the summer, so we can stretch i..."

Sounds good to me! I'm one of those who has more time in summer.

message 8: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 58 comments I keep missing this group read when it comes up in other groups. Hopefully I can join in with you for the 3rd q :)

message 9: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Bump for 2020 nominations

message 10: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen What are the page criteria for small, regular, medium, big books? Thanks

message 11: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Short books are generally up to 250 pages. Big books are usually 800 + pages, though we’ve used different cutoffs to fit some time periods. I think some groups might consider 600+ pages big.

Varying the size helped give us more variety in the nominations.