You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > April toppler - Spring has sprung!!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14199 comments Spring is here!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The toppler will run from noon Saturday, April 6th, to noon Sunday, April 7th, ET. Here is a Countdown to the Toppler for reference.

I know the saying is April showers bring May flowers, but we had too much rain here in March to even think about that! I’m ready for some April flowers in our first full month of spring. We will be reading books with spring items on the cover or in the title.

🌸 You may read a book with one of these items clearly on the cover:

Flowers
Butterflies, ladybugs, or dragonflies
Easter (colored) egg
Sun
Bird

🌸 Or with any of the following words in the title:
Flower
A type of flower, ie: rose, daffodil, tulip, lily, etc
Butterfly, ladybug, or dragonfly
Easter or egg
Sun
Bird

Plurals are acceptable. Compound or imbedded words are not acceptable.

🌸 Or read a book with a cover that is at least 70% green. If you are not sure, you can use tineye as a guide.

Rules:
1. Books must be started and finished in this time period to qualify.
2. Each book must be at least 175 pages, based on the version you are reading.
3. You may read any format - paperback, hardcover, ebook, or audiobook. For audiobooks use the page numbers on the first edition that comes up on the GR page.
4. Graphic novels do not count.

Toppler books can count toward the group theme read and/or the monthly or yearly challenge, if they qualify.

If you are sharing your reads on social media, you can let us know what you are reading by adding #tbrtoppler.

message 2: by Debra (last edited Mar 30, 2019 11:47AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I lucked out! The book I'm reading for this April's challenge has a flower on the cover.

Immortal in Death

Immortal in Death (In Death, #3) by J.D. Robb

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14199 comments Oh, that's great, Debra! Once again, nothing I was planning to read for the month fits the toppler. I should plan these better. ;) lol

I might go with Whisper Me This. It has butterflies on the cover and I've been wanting to read it, but it's a bit longer than I typically read for a toppler. I'm going to look some more before I decide for sure.

Whisper Me This by Kerry Anne King

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1956 comments I'm gonna have to gopher on this...

message 5: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Kristie Is this enough of a flower it qualify Before I Go by Colleen Oakley

message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14199 comments Sure, I'll accept that, especially since it's the only thing on the cove so your eye is drawn to it.

message 7: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Thank you!

message 8: by Odette (last edited Mar 31, 2019 08:04PM) (new)

Odette (odman) | 386 comments I am going to read The Outrun by Amy Liptrot
The Outrun by Amy Liptrot
A book I have had for a while and have not got round to reading and not too many pages!

message 9: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50039 comments Odette wrote: "I am going to read The Outrun by Amy Liptrot
The Outrun by Amy Liptrot
A book I have had for a while and have not got round to reading and not too many pages!"

That's a lovely cover! It sounds like an interesting read, too.

message 10: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10037 comments Oh nice, great choice Kristie! I just picked up English Animals by Laura Kaye from the library. Do you approve?

message 11: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14199 comments Looks green to me, Margo!

message 12: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 299 comments I’ll use the opportunity to read Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid .

message 13: by Margo (last edited Apr 06, 2019 03:04AM) (new)

Margo | 10037 comments Last minute change of plan. I'm going to listen to Folk by Zoe Gilbert because I've just n9ticed that its due back to tha library in 4 days !

message 14: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Happy Toppler Day! I’m going to get my walk and errands in early so I’ll be ready to go. My H tried to make plans for us this afternoon but I let him know I already have plans- to read. He’s now going to clean the garage and probably ponder how he could have possibly forgotten about Toppler Saturday. :)

message 15: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 2546 comments Plan on reading Salt Houses by Hala Alyan

message 16: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14199 comments lol, Marnie!

message 17: by Almeta (last edited Apr 06, 2019 07:18AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10362 comments Getting anxious!

Headed to kitchen for late breakfast and to make a pitcher of iced tea for today. Rum Cosmo scheduled for later day Tippling.

Going to start with birds on Ketchup Clouds'cover. Ketchup Clouds by Annabel Pitcher

message 18: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14199 comments I'm going to stick with Whisper Me This for the toppler. I haven't had time to gopher for something shorter. Hopefully, I can finish it on time.

Less than an hour to go, folks! Get your books ready, take your naps, eat your meals, prepare your snacks & drinks...it's almost time!

message 19: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10037 comments Kristie wrote: "I'm going to stick with Whisper Me This for the toppler. I haven't had time to gopher for something shorter. Hopefully, I can finish it on time.

Less than an hour to go, folks! Ge..."

Great cover Kristie!

message 20: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14199 comments Thanks, Margo!

message 21: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14199 comments Less than 1/2 hour to go! The reporting thread has been posted here.

message 22: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Apr 06, 2019 09:00AM) (new)

Kristie | 14199 comments Three, two, one, go!!! Happy topplering everyone!

Remember, if you are sharing your reads on social media, use the hashtag #tbrtoppler to let us know what you're reading! (Rus, I remembered!!)

message 23: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10037 comments Yay, happy toppler everyone!

message 24: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17565 comments Go you good thing!! lol

It's hit daylight savings turning time for me. Bed time. I am hoping join you, but we have our RPG game of Delta Green tomorrow and I need to know if I die (my character is in Albury/Wodonga hospital with life threatening injuries!!).

So hoping all is resolved by 5pm and I can read a book tomorrow night. But who knows...

message 25: by TrudyA (new)

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1666 comments I will be reading The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro .

message 26: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments Springing open Before I Go.

message 27: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 299 comments I am really enjoying my book Daisy Jones & The Six . Clever and entertaining read.

message 28: by Almeta (last edited Apr 06, 2019 01:16PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10362 comments Finished Ketchup Clouds by Annabel Pitcher Ketchup Clouds with birds on the cover. 6 Apr 3:30

Starting  photo Monkey-Flower_zpsxjrdki2q.jpg The Fourth Monkey for the flower: Monkey Face Orchid .

Too early for a Rum Cosmo?......Nah It's five o'clock somewhere.☻

message 29: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14199 comments I’m enjoying my book. I’m about halfway through now.

message 30: by Margo (last edited Apr 06, 2019 01:31PM) (new)

Margo | 10037 comments I'm about half way through mine aswell but I'm not enjoying as much as I'd hoped. It is quite disjointed and doesn't flow easily. I have the audio and I'm wondering if it works better in print 😕

@Claire: I'm seeing Daisy Jones everywhere at the moment and the reviews are all good. Can't wait to read it!

@Almeta: you are speedy!

message 31: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14199 comments I've never heard of Monkey Face Orchid, Almeta. That is an interesting looking flower. It really does look like a monkey face. I look forward to seeing what you think of The Fourth Monkey. I've had that one on my TBR for a while.

message 32: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3208 comments I've started my book, Nutcracked. So far so good.

message 33: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann_reads) I am getting a late start on Brooklyn Rose by Ann Rinaldi Brooklyn Rose. It is only a little over 200 pages, so I will try to finish it before the topplers ends.

message 34: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann_reads) Enjoy your Cosmo, Almeta. Wishing everyone a happy afternoon and evening of reading!

message 35: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10037 comments Kristie wrote: "I've never heard of Monkey Face Orchid, Almeta. That is an interesting looking flower. It really does look like a monkey face. I look forward to seeing what you think of The Fourth Monkey. I've had..."

The picture is pretty cool though!

TrudyAnn how is your going? I loved that book

message 36: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2462 comments Later start than I'd hoped but here goes -- White Rose, Black Forest. Hope everyone's enjoying their reads so far.

message 37: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14199 comments I finished! I thought for sure I'd have to keep reading tomorrow morning, but I made it through tonight. It was just the right book, just interesting enough and light enough writing.

message 38: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 1956 comments I finished Sing, Unburied, Sing, with plenty of time to spare. Didn't have many options around the house for this challenge, but had this in both audio and hardcover, and had been putting it off. I ended up liking it a lot. Have fun with the rest of the challenge.

message 39: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments I finished mine too then finished a non Toppler book I’ve been struggling to get through. A good reading day!

message 40: by TrudyA (new)

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1666 comments Margo wrote: "TrudyAnn how is your going? I loved that book”

It’s very good. I love allegories, though I’m sure I am missing a lot of the references. I am curious as to how it will end. Kazuo Ishiguro is becoming a favourite author. It’s a fairly quick read, so not too long for a one-day toppler.

message 41: by Almeta (last edited Apr 07, 2019 07:11AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10362 comments I finished  photo Monkey-Flower_zpsxjrdki2q.jpg The Fourth Monkey last night.

And started Stone Mattress by Margaret Atwood . It is a collection of Margaret Atwood short stories, that I feel confident that I will finish it today.

That's all for me.

Hope everyone has picked some good reads!

message 42: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Apr 07, 2019 04:23AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17565 comments I have not gotten there today I am afraid. I stayed up partying by myself (well, okay, Lexx was here too) really late last night (as my comment hinted at), and apparently over did it with the red wine.

Went to play our game at our friends place today and i think I sobered up at the table, then went through the really, really seedy stage, and then came out the other side exhausted and just not feeling well still. So not a good day to read. And all my own stupid fault.

As I was always the one who bounced back very quickly from our nights partying in our share house, I think my old housemates found the whole thing rather amusing. But we still beat the monsters in the game, even if I wasn't really pulling my weight today.

message 43: by Margo (last edited Apr 07, 2019 04:54AM) (new)

Margo | 10037 comments TrudyAn wrote: "Margo wrote: "TrudyAnn how is your going? I loved that book”

It’s very good. I love allegories, though I’m sure I am missing a lot of the references. I am curious as to how it will end. Ka..."</i>

Yes, it is definitely one that needs rereading to take it all in. It was my first [author:Kazuo Ishiguro
book and I became an instant fan. It is incredible how he crosses genres.

I have finished my book and it was a bit of a missed bag. It was short stories that were loosely conected. Same town , same group of families but different stories and different generations. Part fantasy and part historical fiction, it is hard to categorise. The writing was beautiful taken sentence by sentence but for me, it didn't really gel into a whole, having said that, I'm not a short story fan so maybe I was just the wrong audience. I'm glad I read it as it was unusual and beautiful but over all probably 3.5 star.

message 44: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2462 comments I finished White Rose, Black Forest late last night - WW II historical fiction. It was pretty good and moved quickly - 4 stars. Thx for the toppler!

message 45: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann_reads) I finished Brooklyn Rose, and the short length of it (219 pages for the hardcover version) was perfect for a toppler. I gave it 3 stars, which might be a little generous. The author had a nice idea but didn't execute it well. Still, readers who love historical fiction might enjoy it.

message 46: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I was quite ill yesterday, but am feeling better today. I was bumming because this will have been the first Toppler I've missed since I joined YLTO. However, at 2am I was wide awake and made a lot of progress on my book. I have just a little bit more to go.

Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield

It has a swan on the cover and flowers.

message 47: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I finished! Yay!

message 48: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Almeta, is the monkey-faced flower you posted in the reporting thread for real? Wild!

message 49: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14199 comments Oops forgot to come on to say the toppler ended! Hope you all kept track of time. lol Hope you all had fun!

message 50: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50039 comments I was sorry to have missed the Toppler. I thought that perhaps I'd sneak in a book since everyone was reading. But then Dad decided to pull out the crib board and some card games. It was deemed that I would be anti-social if I didn't get my butt to the table and participate. What's a dutiful daughter to do? LOL!

« previous 1