A Good Thriller discussion

PIFM - Archive > The Great Alone

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Perri (new)

Perri Not so alone in a buddy read :) Jump in any time, just remember to add spoilers as you go along

message 2: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 927 comments I loved this book. I almost didn't read it, but was so glad I did. Enjoy!!!

message 3: by Val (new)

Val I'm looking forward to reading it!

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8111 comments So when are we starting?

message 5: by Perri (new)

Perri I'm going to start Monday , but begin whenever you want!

Here are some prereading question if you like:
1 Have you read Hannah before and if so did you like it?
2. What do you think the title means?

message 6: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 585 comments 1) I have a few of her books on my TBR but I've only read The Nightingale. I have to be in the mood for historical fiction, but I really enjoy it!

2) The Great Alone reminds me of the setting, Alaska.

I'm a little bit behind in my reading but I'm looking forward to catching up later in the month. I got this as an ARC from the library and still haven't read it :(

message 7: by Perri (new)

Perri I have to say whoever does the covers of her book is so very talented!
Dana, I agree the title has something to do with Alaska-that has to be the loneliest state. It's so big with so few people and so dark when it's dark. It seems to draw a lot of folk who want to be left alone-rugged individualists.

message 8: by Perri (new)

Perri PS Been such a lovely day, I've been outside, but will start tonight for sure

message 9: by Val (new)

Val I'm picking the book up tomorrow!

message 10: by Perri (new)

Perri To Ch. 4
Don't think these are spoilers: I love the time period of the 70s setting. I remember the music (Midnight on the oasis, send your camels to bed...), the fashion (bell bottoms baby) the news (Patty Hearst kidnappings, start of Ted Bundy's rampage, and Vietnam morning, noon and night) so that's interesting. As far as the story goes, you can just foresee the crises ahead for this poor family.

message 11: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 927 comments I agree with you Perri. The setting of the book was spot on and made it that much better.

message 12: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5752 comments Mod
I'm a hundred pages in. Upto chapter nine. I'm sooo annoyed at the father.

message 13: by Janet , Moderator (new)

I've finished. I'm going to write a review. I'll be interested in your thoughts but I didn't love it. In fact I'm only giving it 2 stars.

message 14: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 927 comments I can't wait to read your review Janet.

message 15: by Janet , Moderator (new)

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I've posted my review here guys but don't read until you're ready to!

message 16: by Perri (last edited Apr 03, 2019 07:50PM) (new)

Perri Dang, Janet you read fast!

To Ch 9. Winter is coming...
(view spoiler)

message 17: by Val (new)

Val I started reading this book last night and made it as far as chapter 5. Like Perri said, lots of memories! I love the music references. In fact, I want to head over to iTunes and maybe buy some of the songs, ha! Nixon. Patty Hearst. Planes being hijacked. The massacre at the Munich Olympics. I also remember how horribly veterans were treated during that time and I'm so glad that has changed. I'm eager to read more!!

message 18: by Perri (new)

Perri To 1978 (pg 246)
(view spoiler)

message 19: by Val (new)

Val I'm on page 90 now. (view spoiler)

message 20: by Perri (new)

Perri To Ch 24
(view spoiler)

message 21: by Val (new)

Val Perri wrote: "To Ch 24

Amen, Perri! Yesterday was a reading day for me and I'm on page 343, now. (view spoiler)

message 22: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 874 comments I just started yesterday in large print. I'm already on ch. 21 pg.412. I can't put it down.

message 23: by Val (new)

Val I finished the book last night, and for the most part, I absolutely loved it! Some parts were way too sappy for me. Took me out of my comfort zone, snort. 😄

message 24: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 874 comments I finished the book just a few minutes ago, I loved it. now I want to know what happens to Lena, Matthew, and MJ. I hope she writes another book to let us know.

message 25: by Perri (last edited Apr 08, 2019 10:49PM) (new)

Perri Finished. Val, I agree with some parts being a bit sappy, but must admit I was a bit teary at the end
My Review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 26: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 927 comments Perri, I think your link messed up.
Great review though!

message 27: by Perri (new)

Perri Thanks Vicki, fixed I hope. I get different looking email notifications from Goodreads now, they keep tweaking things

message 28: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8111 comments Just started yesterday - hope I'm not too late!

I remember some of the events she mentions - especially the missing women in Washington State.

message 29: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Brick (lbrick363) | 62 comments I just started this the other day as well. I got the large print addition. Mostly because I feel I read faster when I read large print and I am doing a buddy read and reading for myself. So, I am juggling a couple of books. =) So far I'm on page 49 and it seems to be flowing good. My librarian said she loved it, so we'll see.

message 30: by Perri (new)

Perri Kirsten, I remember that too. I can sympathize with people who feel like they need to withdraw from the violence and societal craziness!

Lisa I read the large print too, just because it was first available. I think it slows me down a bit because my eyes have to travel so much. Everybody's different :)

message 31: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8111 comments That's why I love Kindles. I can change the typeface and typesize depending on how good my eyes are that day.

message 32: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Brick (lbrick363) | 62 comments Kirsten wrote: "That's why I love Kindles. I can change the typeface and typesize depending on how good my eyes are that day."

So true. That is super convenient. I love my e-books, but I am a huge weirdo and I love the smell of books. I do both though. E-books are easier on the go, but when I'm home I like the real thing. =)

message 33: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8111 comments I like physical books too. I do all types: kindle, audible, and physical.

message 34: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Brick (lbrick363) | 62 comments I’m on page 348 and I’m so irritated with Cora and the whole situation. I honestly want to throw this book against the wall and be done with it!! It is for frustrating when people make excuses and then dump all over someone else’s hopes and dreams. I do not expect the best from this book.

message 35: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8111 comments I'm not that far along. But I do like the characters of Matthew and Leni.

message 36: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Brick (lbrick363) | 62 comments I cannot really connect with any of here characters. I feel Large Marge (who I know is black, but I keep picturing the trucker from Pee-Wee Herman’s Big Adventure) is a throwaway character. I wish there was more input from her.