Life at the Library discussion

Readathons > OWLS

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deanna (new)

Deanna (dlbell208) | 21 comments Book Roast is once again doing her OWLs readathon this year and she's completely outdone herself by creating a booklet with a number of magical careers you can pursue and the necessary OWLs and NEWTs you would need to pass to pursue them. The readathon takes place the entire month of April and all of the info can be found in the announcement video on her channel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk-wc...). Is anybody else taking part? If so, what career are you choosing? What are you thinking about reading for it? I'm most likely going for the Librarian, although I may do the Hogwarts Professor or Ministry of Magic - Department of Mysteries. I'm still figuring out a TBR since I'm also taking part in the library reading challenge in this group, so TBR will likely largely be based on what is available on Overdrive and/or Hoopla from my library.

message 2: by Kiera, Kiera's bookish thoughts (last edited Mar 31, 2019 09:22AM) (new)

Kiera | 115 comments Mod
Here are the OWLS categories:

Ancient runes..................................Retelling
Arithmancy.......................................Written by more than 1 author
Astronomy........................................The word 'star' in the title
Care of magical creatures.............A book with a land animal on cover
Charms..............................................An adult book
Defence against the dark arts......Reducto! Title starts with an R
Divination.........................................Book set in future
Herbology.........................................Plant on the cover
History of magic............................. Published at least 10 yrs ago
Potions...............................................Next Ingredient: a sequel
Transfiguration.................................Sprayed edges or red cover

I'm planning to just read from as many of the categories as I can. I just have too much on my plate to throw a career into the mix. As I am participating in the library challenge many of these books will be from my local library!

message 3: by Deanna (new)

Deanna (dlbell208) | 21 comments Kiera wrote: "Here are the OWLS categories:

Ancient runes..................................Retelling
Arithmancy.......................................Written by more than 1 author
Astronomy......................."

Thanks, Kiera! I should have done this. I already have my first book ready to go. I took both the ebook and audiobook of Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman out from my library. At least this way I'll be able to hear how all of the names are pronounced and if I miss something and want to go back, it'll be easier. This will be for Ancient Runes. I'm very late to the Gaiman game, but am excited for this one!

message 4: by Deanna (new)

Deanna (dlbell208) | 21 comments Hey, everyone! I know of two other readathons going on in April (and I'm sure there are more). I know Tome Topple will be taking place again. Sam at Thoughts on Tomes hasn't posted the dates or challenges yet. It's a two week readathon dedicated to reading 500+ page books. In the past, short story collections haven't counted, but graphic novel omnibus editions have. If I recall correctly, you could also double up on challenges, but not triple up. The challenges have typically been along the lines of read an adult tome (i.e., not YA or MG - not referring to subject matter); read a tome that is part of a series; read more than one tome. I can post more info if you're interested when the announcement is posted. Or if you find out before me, feel free to update us!

Fantasyathon is taking place from 4/5 through 4/15. The challenges for that are:

1) Read a diverse fantasy
2) Read a debut or backlist book
3) Start or continue a series
4) Read a hyped fantasy
5) Read a book that you previously DNFed (not necessarily because you didn't like it but you just weren't in the mood for it at the time)
6) Read a fantasy in a genre or format that you don't typically read
7) Immerse yourself in a story.

For this one, I believe doubling, tripling, etc. up is fine. If you can find one book that fulfills all of the prompts, awesome! I believe Julie at Pages and Pens is one of the co-hosts (not positive). I heard about it when I saw her TBR video for it anyway.

I don't think I'll be participating in either of these this time beyond however the books I choose for OWLs might overlap. Speaking of which, there isn't any doubling up of challenges for OWLs. It's one subject per book.

If anyone is interested, I can start a different thread for each of these or feel free to start one yourself! I hope that you find something that sounds like fun to you!

message 5: by Camee (new)

Camee | 2 comments I will be trying this readathon 😍

I decided on the career of MAGIZOOLOGIST.

I need to take the O.W.L.S that follows:

Care of magical creatures ......... land animals on the cover

Charms .......... read an adult work

Herbology ....... plants on the covers

Potions....... next ingredient: sequel

I still need to find books that will fit into these categories. I’m very excited!!!

message 6: by Coco (new)

Coco (coco24) | 7 comments im confused how do the OWLS work? im interested but I don't know what the goal is of what i do with the books?

message 7: by Deanna (new)

Deanna (dlbell208) | 21 comments Camee wrote: "I will be trying this readathon 😍

I decided on the career of MAGIZOOLOGIST.

I need to take the O.W.L.S that follows:

Care of magical creatures ......... land animals on the cover

Charms ........."

That sounds like a cool career choice! For Librarian I need to take OWLs in:

Ancient Runes: a retelling
Arithmancy: a work written by more than one author
Defense against the Dark Arts: Title starts with R
History of Magic: Published at least ten years ago
Transfiguration: Sprayed edges or red cover

I already have Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman lined up for the retelling. If my library hold on Revival by Stephen King comes in on time, that'll be my "starts with R." The rest I haven't figured out yet. I'll probably try to do at least a couple more in case I decide to change my career path by the time the NEWTs come around in August. Have fun with this and let me know what you decide to read!

message 8: by Deanna (new)

Deanna (dlbell208) | 21 comments Coco wrote: "im confused how do the OWLS work? im interested but I don't know what the goal is of what i do with the books?"

Hi Coco! This is a fun readathon based on the Ordinary Wizarding Level exams from Harry Potter. G at Book Roast (a youtube channel) created this. Last year was the first year and this year she took it a step further by creating a booklet of potential wizarding careers you can pursue and the classes you need to qualify in for them (the pdf for this and the Hogwarts letter with the prompts are linked in the description box of the video). Each class has a prompt that goes with it. For example, the prompt for Ancient Runes is to read a retelling. So you could choose a book that's based on a fairy tale, myth, or folktale. The main goal really is just to try to read more, maybe read something that you otherwise might not have (or finally get to that book that's been sitting on your tbr shelf for too long), and, most importantly, have some fun. I hope this helps! G's video probably explains it a lot better than I am.

message 9: by Camee (new)

Camee | 2 comments So I’m still confused as to what book to read for the land animal on cover? Do I need to have land and a animal? Or an animal that lives on land or do you think a bird counts?

If bird counts I found my complete TBR for the month of April!

Care of magical creatures: The Astonishing Color of after

Charms: Gone Girl

Herbology: The girl in the garden

Potions: One Dark Throne

I have also created a new Bookshelf for this challenge. So excited happy reading month everyone!!!

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) Thanks, Deanna, for the tip-off. This looks like a fun challenge. I will see if I can fit in the requirements for Curse Breaker or Librarian this month.

I would not count a bird as a land animal unless it is flightless, or maybe a burrowing owl that nests on the ground.

message 11: by Deanna (new)

Deanna (dlbell208) | 21 comments Camee wrote: "So I’m still confused as to what book to read for the land animal on cover? Do I need to have land and a animal? Or an animal that lives on land or do you think a bird counts?

If bird counts I fo..."

Hi Camee! I've watched a few tbr videos and the question of a bird has come a up few times. Pretty much everyone just seems to be going with it. If it's something you want to read, I'd go for it!

message 12: by Deanna (new)

Deanna (dlbell208) | 21 comments Marc wrote: "Thanks, Deanna, for the tip-off. This looks like a fun challenge. I will see if I can fit in the requirements for Curse Breaker or Librarian this month.

I would not count a bird as a land animal ..."

Your welcome! I looked at Curse Breaker as well, but settled on Librarian. I hope you get to join in. If you do, let me know what you end up reading!

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) Any recommendations for a 'retelling"?

message 14: by Deanna (new)

Deanna (dlbell208) | 21 comments Marc wrote: "Any recommendations for a 'retelling"?"

What kind of books do you like to read?

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) Deanna wrote: "Marc wrote: "Any recommendations for a 'retelling"?"

What kind of books do you like to read?"

I gravitate towards fantasy and horror mostly but am increasingly flexible these days. I try to avoid all but the best YA, I prefer a good middle-grade book. I'm not particulary interested in fairy-tale retellings, is there something like a Frankenstein redux out there, or a revision of a Lovecraft story?

message 16: by Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (last edited Apr 02, 2019 12:07PM) (new)

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) I followed my own thoughts and found a Lovecraft story retelling; The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe, and my library has it and I will read it!

I could use recommendations for "title starting with 'R'" and "book by two or more authors (I just finished one before the challenge started, darn it!) if anyone has thoughts.

message 17: by Deanna (new)

Deanna (dlbell208) | 21 comments Marc wrote: "I followed my own thoughts and found a Lovecraft story retelling; The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe, and my library has it and I will read it!

I could use recommendations for "title ..."

If you like horror and fantasy, there's Revival by Stephen King. That's the one I'm hoping to read if my library hold request comes in in time. There's also The Rust Maidens by Gwendolyn Kistea, Rose Madder by Stephen King, Relic by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier, The Road by Cormac McCarthy, Ready Player One by Ernest Cline and Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin.

For books by more than one author, you could read an anthology. There's also Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and Owen King, The Halloween Children by Brian James Freeman and Norman Prentiss, Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub, any book in the Pendergast series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Although sci-fi, James S.A. Corey is a pen name for a writing duo. I think a lot of graphic novels could fit in under this category as well.

I hope this helps you!

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) Absolutely! I just read Revival last month in a home-while-sick reading blitz and loved it. Rosemary's Baby sounds right up my alley; it is one of my favorite horror films but I have never read the book. I was thinking of Good Omens too but due to Netflix interest surge there is a line of holds at the library. Time is also a factor but if I have time (many artificial self-imposed reading commitments for the month, lol) I would like to read The Talisman. My library is having a huge book sale this weekend and I am sure to find something suitable there.

message 19: by Chris (new)

Chris (stardustedreads) | 22 comments I plan to do the Seer career path but tbh i want to get through some of the library books I already have out before starting getting more do I'll probably end up just getting done what I can

message 20: by Coco (new)

Coco (coco24) | 7 comments I also plan on doing Seer! I think it's a good one for my first year.

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) I will meet the OWL requirements for both Librarian and Curse Breaker. Will post my books when completed.