2022 ONTD Reading Challenge discussion

2019 ♦️ARCHIVES♦️ April > April '19 - WHAT YEAR IS IT

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 327 comments Mod
This month, read a book that involves time-travel - and get lost in the pages like Robin Williams (or Nick Jonas in the remake) did in the game Jumanji.

message 2: by Rachel (last edited Mar 29, 2019 01:18PM) (new)

message 3: by Rachel (new)

I plan on reading The Anubis Gates, which I already own, and hopefully also Doomsday Book.

The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers Doomsday Book (Oxford Time Travel, #1) by Connie Willis

message 4: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendalee) | 68 comments Mod
I'm trying to determine if The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle counts. He only time travels to the same day, but as a different suspect. (I'm about 30-40 pages into it now and I'm really trying to finish all of the half-read books I have sitting around my house, lol)

message 5: by Eve (new)

Eve (eveofrevolution) | 123 comments I'm definitely going to read Doomsday Book and Hazards of Time Travel.

May also read Here and Now and Then and Woman on the Edge of Time if I have time/can get them.

I've read both Kindred and 11/22/63 and would highly recommend them both!

message 6: by Dainey (new)

Dainey | 69 comments Going for The Psychology of Time Travel this month at least.

Might give 22/11/63 a shot, since it's in the family library. I tried watching the tv show, but just couldn't get into it, so maybe the book is better?

message 7: by Tejal (new)

Tejal (ohsodebonair) | 78 comments Eve wrote: "I'm definitely going to read Doomsday Book and Hazards of Time Travel.

May also read Here and Now and Then and Woman on the Edge of Time ..."

I second the 11/22/63 recommendation!

I really wanted to read Here and Now and Then for this month but I'm trying not to buy new books unless they're on sale or in the library. Instead I'll read The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, which I'm also pretty excited about.

message 8: by Sophie (new)

Sophie I want to read The Jane Austen Project by Kathleen A. Flynn and then possibly Doomsday Book (Oxford Time Travel, #1) by Connie Willis . Might read some of the other books suggested in the ONTD post but I definitely want to read the first one for a lighter read!

message 9: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (lapetite) | 58 comments I think I'm going to read The Night Mark because I already got it from the library, but if I'm not feeling it, then I'm going to read What the Wind Knows.

message 10: by Cathryn (new)

Cathryn (esmenoir) | 33 comments Thanks for all the recommendations as usual! I will be reading 11/22/63 and Kindred this month! Looking forward to both!

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna (heyannarld) | 2 comments I chose Outlander and I didn't realise just how LONG the book is, welp.

message 12: by Despina (new)

Despina | 17 comments I read The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle back in February and I found it an excellent premise. It kept me interested throughout and it was a wild ride but in the end it kinda dissapointed me.

I will try to get my hands on The Victorian Chaise Longue which someone recommended on ONTD, but so far I haven't found anything else that peaks my interest and is time-travel related.

message 13: by Juliana (new)

Juliana (julzreads) | 94 comments I'm going to read Opposite of Always. I want to read Here and Now and Then but the wait is too long for the book at all my library overdrives :(

message 14: by SueEllen (new)

SueEllen I'm going to read The House on the Strand

message 15: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (thetiffy) | 2 comments Excited to start reading 11/22/63! I rarely read Stephen King, so I am looking forward to seeing what the hype is all about ;)

message 16: by Sara (new)

Sara G | 15 comments Okay - I put Kindred and Doomsday Book on hold and will decide which to read, they both sound good.

message 17: by Irene. (new)

Irene. (kittenbones) | 36 comments This challenge is fucking me up cause all of the quintessential time travel books are very much not what I'm into. I did a poke around the genre lists and sent samples of these to my kindle:
- Doomsday Book
- Slaughterhouse-Five
- Neverworld Wake

Leaning towards one of the last two because they're short and I'm still crawling my way through 1Q84.

message 18: by Alyssa (last edited Apr 02, 2019 08:19AM) (new)

Alyssa (girlcomeundone) | 155 comments so it sounds like The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle counts? i am on the waitlist to get that from my library and going to go with that one. the others don't sound super interesting to me.

message 19: by Lea (new)

Lea | 326 comments Mod
Alyssa wrote: "so it sounds like The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle counts? i am on the waitlist to get that from my library and going to go with that one. the others don't sound super interesting..."

there are a lot of books out there now about reliving the same day. I have seen a few of them in lists about time-travelling. I think it's close enough to time-travel that it counts.

message 20: by Emily (new)

Emily (francienolans) | 20 comments I'm going to reread Kindred (even though I don't remember much of it, I read it a few years ago) and I've also started Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban before this month but I think I'll count that too for fun.

message 21: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (pajamafish) | 38 comments I was going to read The Book of Life and finish up the series but now I'm not sure if there's actually any time travel in this installment... I have Here and Now and Then requested from the library and should get that before the end of the month.

message 22: by Sophie (new)

Sophie I'm reading The Jane Austen Project right now but it just got kind of casually antisemitic (basically not meant but the author isn't Jewish and keeps writing about how the main character feels self conscious of her big nose and curly hair which will reveal her Jewishness and destroy their cover and written in such a way that I was like uhhhhhh this author isn't Jewish is she and NOPE) so I am probably going to stop and read something else. I made it a good chunk of the way tho so I'll probably still count it.

India (IndiaReadsALot) (india_readsalot) | 6 comments I am currently reading The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North. So far it is amazing. It follows Harry August who repeats his life again and again. When he dies, he is reborn again the exact same place and time, every time. I don't want to say anything else.

message 24: by Sasha (new)

Sasha | 104 comments I'm thinking about reading Slaughterhouse-Five as it's been on my tbr list for ages. Or maybe Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

The first romance novel I read, also dealt with time travel and I remember enjoying it, but then again that was 10+ years ago. A Knight in Shining Armor Potentially an option for someone, haha.

message 25: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (girlcomeundone) | 155 comments i would guess Life After Life would count? i read that a year or so ago. if anyone needs a recommendation. I didn't love it but i'm in the minority.

message 26: by Kat (new)

Kat | 54 comments I'm reading Here and Now and Then, so far it's just ok.

message 27: by Irene. (new)

Irene. (kittenbones) | 36 comments Finished Neverworld Wake and it was trash lol. I gave it 2 stars + wrote a proper review if anyone cares.

I should probably go back to 1Q84 but I also kinda want to go for the theme again and start The Psychology of Time Travel instead.

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Irene wrote: "Finished Neverworld Wake and it was trash lol. I gave it 2 stars + wrote a proper review if anyone cares.

I should probably go back to 1Q84 but I also kinda want to go for the them..."

I hated Neverworld Wake! Let me go see you see your review LOL

message 29: by SueEllen (new)

SueEllen I finished The House on the Strand, its honestly so rubbish and I found myself skipping over a lot of sections of the book just to finish it.

message 30: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (girlcomeundone) | 155 comments I finished The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle and gave it 4 stars. it was really enjoyable and i felt like the author laid out a very complicated story in a readable way. i would recommend it.

message 31: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (pajamafish) | 38 comments I read Rat Queens, Vol. 5: The Colossal Magic Nothing which might have had time travel? I honestly couldn't tell you it was such a confusing mess.

Fortunately Here and Now and Then came in from the library so I'll have something that absolutely meets the mark finished by the end of the month!

message 32: by Li (new)

Li | 1 comments i am going to read The Notebook

message 33: by Tejal (new)

Tejal (ohsodebonair) | 78 comments Alyssa wrote: "I finished The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle and gave it 4 stars. it was really enjoyable and i felt like the author laid out a very complicated story in a readable way. i would re..."

I'm about three-quarters through it and I'm enjoying it more as I read along. The first few chapters were really difficult for me to get into but I feel much more engrossed in it and I am finding it quite easy to follow along.

message 34: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (girlcomeundone) | 155 comments Tejal wrote: "Alyssa wrote: "I finished The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle and gave it 4 stars. it was really enjoyable and i felt like the author laid out a very complicated story in a readable ..."

i felt the same way! it took me close to 50 pages to really orient myself to what was going on, but once i did i followed the story and the characters pretty easily. it did help to have the character list at the front of the book.

message 35: by Wendy (new)

Alyssa wrote: "it did help to have the character list at the front of the book. "

This has been very helpful. I have less than 100 pages to go but being able to refer back and go "ok, he was that person on Day 1, that person on Day 2" etc has been helpful.

message 36: by Wendy (last edited Apr 30, 2019 07:52AM) (new)

I finished last night (ok this morning at 2 am) The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. (The last week of work was awful and I barely read because I would get home, remove sweat from body and just crawl into bed.) I really liked the concept and didn't get too confused. I also liked how each of his 'hosts' had a different part of his personality that allowed him to unlock the mystery.