Play Book Tag discussion

March 2019: Debut > The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas 5 *'s

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MargieD2017 (new)

MargieD2017 | 259 comments What a riveting and stunning debut novel for Angie Thomas! She was able to write a novel about racism and police violence lifting the veil for all to see inside the community, the people, the victims, the perpetrators, the onlookers and more. The Hate U Give is about a young black girl who witnesses the murder of her friend by an overly anxious police officer. This tale is so revealing of the family bonds, neighborhood dynamics and cultural ties. We are all quite aware of these events in our lives and I feel a bit more educated on the issues since I have read this novel. For me, this was a 5 star read. Makes me question - Why is shooting the officer's first line of defense? What happened to billy clubs or other less fatal implements? What ever happened to talking instead of reacting? Why can't we take guns off the streets? Why do we allow semi-automatic and automatic weapons to be purchased by all? -- Guess this is going further than the novel did but just thinking.....

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8282 comments Great review for a great book!

message 3: by MargieD2017 (new)

MargieD2017 | 259 comments Thanks, Amy!

message 4: by Holly R W (new)

Holly R W | 1161 comments I loved the book too, Margie. The author took an important issue of our times and created a very believable story around it that readers could embrace. I thought her characters and the ways they spoke to each other were true to life. In an interview, the author (who is young herself) explained that since these murders are happening primarily to younger people, she wanted to write a YA novel. Her success is that the book is reaching and resonating with a much wider audience.

message 5: by MargieD2017 (new)

MargieD2017 | 259 comments Good points, Holly. The book is so true to life in the conversations and the settings that you can't help but me drawn into the people and the locations. It is very revealing regarding what each character was feeling and thinking: the young who were the victims, the parents who were the defenders and the institutions that were trying to be protective but were stuck in their 'protect their own' culture so that protection was not expected by the citizenry instead violence is expected. The quick to react mentality of the police is a direct result of far too many guns on the street. Without making light of this situation, I truly believe that removal of the guns goes a long way to removing fear providing 'open space' for understanding. Just thinking...

message 6: by Holly R W (new)

Holly R W | 1161 comments I have great respect for New Zealand's leader and how she has been handling the violence that has recently erupted there. It took her just 6 days to ban the type of firearms that caused the incident.

I wish that our country (the U.S) would do the same. I live in Cleveland, Ohio, which could be a microcosm to the book. It's a very violent city.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8282 comments We all have deep respect for New Zealand’s leader! I too wish we were in a different place in the US, where different values and presentation could take the lead.

message 8: by Holly R W (new)

Holly R W | 1161 comments Amy wrote: "We all have deep respect for New Zealand’s leader! I too wish we were in a different place in the US, where different values and presentation could take the lead."

Amen!

message 9: by MargieD2017 (new)

MargieD2017 | 259 comments I contend that the 2nd amendment doesn't give the right for the general public to be armed with any/all instruments but rather that the militia needs to be for the security of the State. So reads the 2nd amendment " "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." I know that more educated and wiser people than I have debated this extensively but to me the subject of this sentence is the militia. Since the milita in the day were largely volunteers called upon in the times of foreign invasion and with the fear that one state may attempt to overpower another state, the security of the state through the use of militia was provided the right to bear arms. I don't believe that the intent was to create two armed camps - the militia and the citizenry. Well, there you go.. I have said it.