What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The House the Pecks Built
This topic is about The House the Pecks Built
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's - Man Adds More And More Rooms To His House. [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John J | 5 comments Children's Book - suitable for elementary school age

I read it in the 1960's when I was in elementary school, it is is illustrated with color drawings. I believe it was written in the 60's but possibly 50's.

It is a thin book, about a man who decides to build an extra room on to his house, and then another, and another, and another . . . This is depicted in the drawings as the house expands in different directions with the rooms seemingly added on end-to-end in a haphazard, ramshackle fashion.

At the end, for some reason he decides that such a large house is just too much trouble and he begins to dismantle it, finally going back to the simple house he started with.

My mom was a school teacher and probably brought this home from the school district "Ed Center" library in San Diego.

Thanks everyone, I have spent the better part of an hour trying to find this book by googling but no luck so far. First post here, hope it is OK.

:D

message 2: by Kris (last edited Mar 31, 2019 08:29AM) (new)

Kris | 33236 comments Mod
John, who lives in the house with the man? Why does he add more rooms? What's his job?

Is this a picture book (about 32-48 pages) or a chapter book?

Can you describe the illustrations - realistic/cartoony/cute, simple/detailed, painted watercolors/bold graphics, sunny/dark/muted colors?

Do they remind you of another illustrator or picture book author?

message 3: by John (new)

John J | 5 comments Thank you Kris for your kind interest in helping me find this book. What I am actually doing is trying to find books from my childhood that my mom, who is 93, would enjoy. She used to bring home books for us from the Education Center library and it really enriched our lives and learning.

Those are great questions that I wouldn't have thought about.

It is definitely a picture book. The illustrations are cartoony and in color, as if drawn onto the white pages. The story is about as detailed as the Babar books, and I don't think there is much info about the man in terms of job etc. It is meant to be amusing, yet I think there is a moral there somewhere.

The man lives in his house with his wife/family, best I can recall.

Illustrations are similar to this in nature, though not from such close perspective: https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-illu... and show the man building the room additions and so forth.

Some of the other books I have in mind for mom, though not exactly similar to the above:
Babar
The Color Kittens
Crictor
My Father's Dragon (a "chapter" book, as I'm sure you are aware)
The Secret Hiding Place (picture book about a little hippo)
The Twenty-one Balloons (I just barely remember this one, a chapter book that online browsing jogged my memory about.)
Just So Stories (illustrated by "Nicolas")

OK that last bit was a little off-topic, sorry !

:)

Amber (Daisymau) (daisymau) | 1064 comments This sounds familiar. I want to say that it might be something like Mr. builds a house or something similar.

message 5: by Amber (Daisymau) (last edited Mar 31, 2019 02:04PM) (new)

Amber (Daisymau) (daisymau) | 1064 comments Maybe this book? Edited to say that I couldn't find the book listed on Goodreads, but here's some pictures of the book on Ebay and Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Budge-Builds-H...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mr-Budge-Bui...

Gareth Adamson

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33236 comments Mod
I'd suggest creating a second more general request in the "Suggest books for me" folder for the types of books your mother might like to read. Or create multiple requests if the topics differ (e.g., art, travel, animals, gardens, hobbies, movie stars).

Your list above of similar books is great. Best to provide the authors (and links) so members can quickly view these examples, such as:

- The Story of Babar by Jean de Brunhoff
- The Color Kittens by Margaret Wise Brown
- Crictor by Tomi Ungerer
- My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett
- Secret Hiding Place by Rainey Bennett
- The Twenty-One Balloons by William Pène du Bois
- Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling

Also, www.worldcat.org is a great site for finding old children's books. https://www.worldcat.org/advancedsearch

message 7: by John (new)

John J | 5 comments Thanks Amber, I thought there was a chance that was the book, but after quite a bit of googling I found a summary of the plot of "Mr. Budge. . ."), which sounds fascinating but doesn't quite match:

"Describes the dwelling places of the descendants of the Budge family from caveman to contemporary commuter, and explains the basic construction principles of several periods--Briton, Roman, Norman, Tudor, Georgian--and the important points in planning and building a modern home."

The one I am looking for is about some eccentric nutty man who just decides to keep adding one room after another.

Kris, that is a great idea to ask for suggestions. About the links, I could do that with the URLs but not sure how you hide the URL and just make it say the title/author etc. (?)

I will continue to look, maybe I'll also ask an elementary teacher friend of mine if he has heard of it.

Amber (Daisymau) (daisymau) | 1064 comments Darn! I wish it was the right book. I know I've seen one like this. I just have to remember the title or author.

message 10: by John (new)

John J | 5 comments Hey I think we have a winner with The House The Pecks Built ! ! !

Can't delve into right now but I will look into it further to confirm first chance I get.

Pretty sure that is it though ! ! !

:D

You guys are indeed awesome !

message 11: by John (new)

John J | 5 comments Does this or does it not sound funny ?

(quoting from the summary)

". . .including an office, bedrooms, card room, guest rooms, and many more. until one day, they realize the house rambles on for miles. They must take the train to get to the living room. "

Yes I am certain this is the one !

A huge thank you to all !

Will this be marked as "Solved"? Do I need to figure out how to do that ? Let me just try.

message 12: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16051 comments Awesome, glad it turned out to be the right one!