Year-long NaNo discussion

Merenwen Inglorion > Camp Nano 2019! (April)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Merenwen (last edited Mar 29, 2019 12:18PM) (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments My projects for this session of Camp.

Possible entries for the "Tales from a Modern Bard: Original Fairytale Challenge."
http://talesfromamodernbard.blogspot....

The Spider and the Fairy
A short tale, in which a spider and a fairy bargain for what they want.

The House and Its Occupants
A tale about a haunted house, a girl, her brother, and his dragon.

The Corruption
A legend from the world of Bookland, telling of the first Darkness and the corruption of the elves.

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Ahhhh . . . I'm excited!! :)

message 3: by Merenwen (last edited Apr 01, 2019 09:54PM) (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 4/1/19

Word count: 788
Word count total: 788

Project/s: The Spider and the Fairy, The Corruption

message 4: by Merenwen (last edited Apr 03, 2019 10:03PM) (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 4/2/19

Word count: 404
Word count total: 1192

Project/s: The House and Its Occupants, The Corruption
I’m supposed to be writing in a more narrative style, but every time I try to add detail, The House and Its Occupants ends up being more of a third/close third person POV...

Snippet:
The House and Its Occupant

“So why does the House want you so badly?”
Mara gave him a look: “If I had figured that out by now, I would have fixed it.” Evidently, he interpreted it as “You’re as dumb as a sock if you haven’t figured it out by now”, because he rolled his eyes.
“You gave me that look when I tried to test spaghetti by throwing it on the ceiling.”

4/3/19

Word count: 381
Word count total: 1573

Project/s: The Corruption

Snippet:

“Darkness? Why would I fear darkness, when I always have the light of the stars with me?” He crooked his fingers. An orb of light, as cold as the stars themselves, appeared in his hand. “Even with your power, you cannot perform feats such as this.”
“My power is not my own.” Janis trembled, whether from fear or anger was known only to her. “It is not for me to command, but to guide.”
“And so you allow others to suffer.” Roebuck’s voice cracked in sorrow. “I couldn’t just watch them die.”
Janis eyed him. “And yet, that is all you watch. Death. ”

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments #ohmylanta . . . 😍😍😍😍

message 6: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments WELL That snippet is good. :P Also can I just say that I love third-person POVs?

message 7: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments Merie wrote: "WELL That snippet is good. :P Also can I just say that I love third-person POVs?"

Ah, thanks. :D
Yeah, close third POV is what I prefer, and usually write in. This Narration Challenge is very trying...

Elizabeth wrote: "#ohmylanta . . . 😍😍😍😍"

Ahaha, thanks. :-)

message 8: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 4/4/19

Word count: 656 (250 Rebellion words)
Word count total: 2229

Snippet:
With the unraveling of the secrets of the stars came the unraveling of the light. Dawn took longer and longer in coming. Both moons and the sun waned in their power.
Janis intreated the Voices: “Allow me to attack my brother. Give me the power to crush this madness.” (For the Voices are the source of power for the Woodlanders.)
Their answer: “No.”

message 9: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments Merenwen wrote: "Merie wrote: "WELL That snippet is good. :P Also can I just say that I love third-person POVs?"

Ah, thanks. :D
Yeah, close third POV is what I prefer, and usually write in. This Narration Challeng..."

:D I write in either third-person omniscient or first-person.

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments XD . . . Snippets are so much fun to read!! ^.^

message 11: by Merenwen (last edited Apr 05, 2019 10:08PM) (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 4/5/19

Word count: 544 (447 Rebellion words)
Word count total: 2773

Project/s: The House and Its Occupants, drafting a reply to Kyle Robert Shultz’s newsletter (evidently I had 20 drafts in my email?? Idk how that happened, but I had to clean it up.)

message 12: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 4/6/19

Word count: 915
Word count total: 3688

Project/s: The House and Its Occupants

Snippet:
Weston scratched his head. “That’s it. I’m visiting every weekend, and taking you out.”
“Yes, yes, fine.”
“Now I know you’ve lost it.”
“What?” Mara’s ecstatic smile flinched briefly into a frown.
Weston leaned against the back of the chair. “You just said yes to me and my offer to take you out into society.”
After a shrug, she said, “Oh.” She leaned towards the dragon, hand extended.
“Don’t start ‘dragon whispering’ to my dragon.”
Of course, she didn’t listen.

message 13: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments Well that one is great :D

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Dragons? I'm hooked.

message 15: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments Merie wrote: "Well that one is great :D"

Danke!

Elizabeth wrote: "Dragons? I'm hooked."

Yes, dragons. My favorite part of fantasy. <3

message 16: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 4/7/19

Word count: 483
Word count total: 4171

Project/s: The Spider and the Fairy, editing

message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments No, the best part of fantasy. ;P

message 18: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments Elizabeth wrote: "No, the best part of fantasy. ;P"

True dat.

Hey, I've been meaning to ask: what kind of magic systems do you prefer/like? I have a couple of books I'd like to recommend, but I don't want to recommend something that you probably wouldn't like/even bother to pick up. :P

message 19: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments dragons <3

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Ha, ha . . . I don't actually appreciate a lot of "magic" books .. . :P But the dark magic is an absolute no, no. :) You can recommend me things and I'll look through them, but I don't have a definite, clear answer for you.

message 21: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Ha, ha . . . I don't actually appreciate a lot of "magic" books .. . :P But the dark magic is an absolute no, no. :) You can recommend me things and I'll look through them, but I don't have a defin..."

How so? Like, any mention of dark magic/anything that might entail that (eg, mentions of witches/sorcerers/enchanters/etc.), or just going into unnecessary detail about the darkness of it all?

message 22: by Merenwen (last edited Apr 08, 2019 10:39PM) (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 4/8/19

Word count: 611
Word count total: 4782

A note: Mara’s brother will go through several names during this project, due to a curse he’s under (it basically forces him to choose a new name for himself every so often, or risk being drained of life). Before, he was Weston. Now, he’s Jozo.

Snippet:
“What in the world is this thing?!”
“I told you,” came the muffled reply. “It’s a weird…” A prolonged silence. “Death. Trap. Thing.”
“My eloquent, myth-inundated sister is at a loss for words to describe the otherworldly creature in her basement.” Teeth gritted determinedly, Jozo slowly lifted one foot and set it down in front of the other. The thing seemed to be less grippy if he went slowly.
“It has a little bit of everything in it, alright?! It’s plant-based, but it isn’t a sylph or anything like that. It seems to be fueled by or is a product of strong residual emotion, but it’s nothing like a banshee or poltergeist. There’s also—”
“SAVE YOUR THEORIES FOR LATER, IT’S RUDDY TRYING TO EAT ME!”

message 23: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments Hannah-- I agree, magic is a tricky thing in fantasy. But as a lover of fantasy, I've always appreciated well-done magic systems... I mean come on. Narnia. Fawkes. Stuff like that xD

message 24: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments That's where I'm leaning Merie, but to answer Merewen's question . . . . I don't do a lot of dark fantasy, mainly because it's more demonic than anything else. Now you may not agree with me on this subject, however, the term "magic" always referred to sorcery and witchcraft. Now not as much and I'm still hesitant to read "light magic" books, because of the real meaning. If you understand my point. :P

Btw that snippet is beautiful, especially the last line. =)

message 25: by Merenwen (last edited Apr 10, 2019 08:04AM) (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments Elizabeth wrote: "That's where I'm leaning Merie, but to answer Merewen's question . . . . I don't do a lot of dark fantasy, mainly because it's more demonic than anything else. Now you may not agree with me on this..."

Ah, gotcha. :)
You probably wouldn't enjoy the books I have in mind then...
Most of them are magic-heavy, more along the lines of Diana Wynn Jones than Tolkien or Lewis. Not dark (I can't stand much dark stuff either), but definitely not light (as in weight/detail, not the element).

I really enjoy magic systems in general. So long as the rituals/whatever aren't described/have a ton of detail, like describing measurements in a witch's brew, or detailing use of a ouiji (sp?) board/other demonic item you can easily acquire IRL, I'm okay with it.

Thanks! :D

message 26: by Merenwen (last edited Apr 10, 2019 08:01AM) (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 4/9/19

Word count: 306 (handwritten, in a bed)
Word count total: 5088

message 27: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Glad to have helped. ;)

Also good word count for handwriting!!

message 28: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments Merenwen wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "That's where I'm leaning Merie, but to answer Merewen's question . . . . I don't do a lot of dark fantasy, mainly because it's more demonic than anything else. Now you may not agr..."

Magic doesn't usually bother me. I don't like it being treated as witchcraft or sorcery either (being a learned subject, that kind of thing), but if it counts as a natural element of life, then it really can't go under the same meaning as wizardry. :P

You're doing great! Keep it up!

message 29: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Yes, elements don't usually bother me either Merie. ;)

message 30: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments Merie wrote: "Merenwen wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "That's where I'm leaning Merie, but to answer Merewen's question . . . . I don't do a lot of dark fantasy, mainly because it's more demonic than anything else. No..."

Elizabeth wrote: "Glad to have helped. ;)

Also good word count for handwriting!!"

Danke both! :D

message 31: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 4/10/19

Word count: 190 (handwritten, in a bed, Rebellion)
Word count total: 5278

Project/s: Dream journal

message 32: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 4/11/19

Word count: 1000 (I wasn’t trying to write such a round number but look it, it’s so pretty. <3)
Word count total: 6278

(Started at the beginning again, cuz the way I was writing it wasn’t working out.)

Snippet:
Long ago, when the dragons danced in the sky and churned the fires of the deep, the elven people were one. No division of darkness separated them; all were called by one name, none of this ‘Woodlander’ and ‘Starlighter’ business.
There were no kings, no queens, save in distant warring human groups. Perhaps this distance is what brought about the Darkness. The Great Sorrow, as some call it. This Sorrow trapped the dragons in the mountains, stole their fire, and drove many to death. It drowned the world in darkness.

message 33: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments Merenwen wrote: "4/11/19

Word count: 1000 (I wasn’t trying to write such a round number but look it, it’s so pretty. <3)
Word count total: 6278

(Started at the beginning again, cuz the ..."

I love that snippet! <3

message 34: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments What?? What?? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO THE DRAGONS!!???

message 35: by Merenwen (last edited Apr 12, 2019 10:11PM) (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments Elizabeth wrote: "What?? What?? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO THE DRAGONS!!???"

I didn’t do anything. T’is all the fault of a character who...hmm, spoiler territory...ah, he did the wrong thing for the right reasons. And it just kept going down and down and down and down.

Edit:
For whatever reason, the gif is coming up as an image error, so here’s the link by itself.
https://images.app.goo.gl/iGnpVmsbWpB...

message 36: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 4/12/19

Word count: 255
Word count total: 6533

Snippet:

Oh? Did you enjoy my telling that much? You want me to continue? Well. Who am I to disappoint eager learners?

Janis’ neglect of her brother hurt him a great deal. He tried to find a way of helping the humans further on his own. Evidently, he’d never listened to the tale of Michi the Matchmaker, or he would know that beginning such a task alone was sure to lead to ruin.

message 37: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Oooh . . . kay. BUT YOUR THE AUTHOR!! -_-

message 38: by Merenwen (last edited Apr 13, 2019 06:02PM) (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Oooh . . . kay. BUT YOUR THE AUTHOR!! -_-"

So...uh...since when does that mean the characters do what I tell them? XD

Writing varies between this:
description

And this:
description

message 39: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments hmmmm . . . good point, however, I'm still blaming you. ;P

message 40: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments Elizabeth wrote: "hmmmm . . . good point, however, I'm still blaming you. ;P"

Fine, be that way. :P

((Characters: https://images.app.goo.gl/qqEDgazBqQ1...))

message 41: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 4/13/19

Word count: 284
Word count total: 6817

I’m surprised I have anything legible today. I’m tired. I’m waffling between wanting and not wanting to write (anything whatsoever, not just these projects). And I’m tired. I said that already, yeah? z_0

Snippet:
Hector frowned. “Why? I thought she loves dragons.”
“Yes, she does. And if she knows there’s a dragon nearby, she won’t stop until she’s done her weird…animal-whisperer thing.”
“Like Dr. Doolittle?”
“Doctor who?”
“No, Doolittle.”

message 42: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments xD xD Awesome snippet. Love. 💕 😂😂

message 43: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments LOL Those snippets

message 44: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 4/14/19

Word count: 160 (Rebellion)
Word count total: 6977

Project: Q&A for charries from Hazel West’s new book, Flower of the Underworld!

message 45: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 4/15/19

Word count: 105 (Rebellion)
Word count total: 7082

Project: an email to a newsletter (I'm going to earn the Consistent Writer badge, I don't care what kind of writing I have to count as a project)

message 46: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments xD xD

message 47: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 4/16/19

Word count: 113
Word count total: 7195

Project/s: Another small bit of the aforementioned Q&A (I went a tad overboard on the amount of questions...)

message 48: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 4/17/19

Word count: 523
Word count total: 7718

Snippet:
The Shadow leeched out from the forest as ooze from a sore. Only, much faster, and deadlier. It entered the man, snuffing out the light and killing him before he’d hit the ground.
Writhing, and eyes aglow with a dead light from the source it had eaten, it went for Janis. She used her power, then. Her voice. She sang. (Tarron! Stop chuckling, and don’t worry, I’m not going to sing.)

message 49: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Hmmm . . . Interesting description.

message 50: by Merenwen (last edited Apr 18, 2019 10:12PM) (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 4/18/19

Word count: 168 (Rebellion, handwritten, during a break)
Word count total: 7886

Project/s: An exercise from Chapter One of Fiction Writer's Workshop

Snippet (first line):
Their out-of-synch footsteps thudded against the concrete. The evening air was tense with unspoken words. Ariana didn’t know how much longer she could stand it.

« previous 1